Dawes 'problem'

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
indio32

Dawes 'problem'

Post by indio32 »

hi,
I've been looking at getting a Dawes tourer but at the moment not really sure which one. I've been looking around and Spar Cycles of Harrogate appear to offer the best deal.

I've just noticed that Spar are now showing the bike discount not as a £'s off but rather as a discount on accessories. If I choose the Super Galaxy instead of getting it for £1125 now I pay £1500 and get £375 towards accessories. This is complete RUBBISH I don't want/need £375 for accessories.

Doing a bit of googling it appears that Dawes don't allow there (touring?) bikes to be discounted... personally I thought that Retail Price Maintenance was ILLEGAL. Its been suggested that Dawes are threatening dealers 'under the table' i.e "discount and you might find you have supply problems" or "we'll find some way of removing your Dawes dealer authorisation if you discount"

Anybody know whats happening?

Although I'd 90% decided on a Dawes if the above is true then they can take a running jump off a very high cliff.

Anyone tell that I'm annoyed???
Vantage

Re: Dawes 'problem'

Post by Vantage »

indio32 wrote:Doing a bit of googling it appears that Dawes don't allow there (touring?) bikes to be discounted... personally I thought that Retail Price Maintenance was ILLEGAL. Its been suggested that Dawes are threatening dealers 'under the table' i.e "discount and you might find you have supply problems" or "we'll find some way of removing your Dawes dealer authorisation if you discount"

Care to show links that suggest this?

Doing a bit of googling, I've found quite a few online retailers offering discounts.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
indio32

Post by indio32 »

I'd like to buy from Spar Cycles

Also yesterday Spar was showing a cash discount MAYBE Dawes are clamping down and over the next few days/weeks other dealers will be forced to fall into line? Spar Cycles is a bit dare I say it iconic or at least very well known hence a good place to for Dawes to start?

I did originally talk to some dealers in person (whilst getting to the I'd like a Dawes point) and was surprised at the number that refused point blank to give a discount as it wasn't allowed.

Sommat fishy!
honesty

Post by honesty »

Or just get the 2011 model from spa: http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b0s21p2420

which is basically the same bike, but with a better (wider) gear range for a tourer and is only £1260

Who cares about discounts on current years models, the money saving is in getting last years models which are usually just cosmetically different.
horizon

Post by horizon »

indio32: while you may have a point about Dawes trying to prevent discounting, I wouldn't turn my nose up at £375 worth of accessories from Spa. You could walk away with first class wheels, saddle, tent, panniers, lights and much more. I can't imagine a much better Christmas present than £375 to spend at Spa!
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
indio32

Post by indio32 »

horizon wrote:indio32:I wouldn't turn my nose up at £375 worth of accessories from Spa.

I don't want £375 of accessories I want the £375 (if thats the bike I go for) as a discount. I can then decide if I want or need any accessories and where the best deal is to buy them.

It might only be a point of principle but I feel that its an important one.
indio32

Post by indio32 »

honesty wrote:Or just get the 2011 model from spa: http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b0s21p2420

which is basically the same bike, but with a better (wider) gear range for a tourer and is only £1260

From my internet history its telling me that the 2012 Ultra Galaxy was only £80 more expensive yesterday at Spar. Today its £540 more expensive in cash terms.
honesty

Post by honesty »

So?

My point is that the 2011 machine is virtually identical and cheaper.

You've made an assertion that Dawes are using bad business practice:
Doing a bit of googling it appears that Dawes don't allow there (touring?) bikes to be discounted... personally I thought that Retail Price Maintenance was ILLEGAL. Its been suggested that Dawes are threatening dealers 'under the table' i.e "discount and you might find you have supply problems" or "we'll find some way of removing your Dawes dealer authorisation if you discount"

Prove it.
indio32

Post by indio32 »

honesty wrote:So?

You've made an assertion that Dawes are using bad business practice:

Prove it.

It might or might not be bad business practice but what I can say for CERTAIN is that Retail Price Maintenance is ILLEGAL. For Dawes to prevent its dealers from offering discounts or by setting a minimum price Dawes is (if they are are doing so) breaking the law.

http://www.retail-week.com/in-business/retail-surgery/can-suppliers-dictate-retail-prices/5028502.article

As such and for obvious reasons the subject is rather delicate. Having spoken to a number of reputable dealers some in person and some on the phone not ONE would offer a cash discount on any of the Dawes touring bikes I was looking at. I was told time and again "Dawes don't allow it" and then an offer like the Spar one of some free accessories instead.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Surely, one of the big advantages of the internet is the ease of price comparisons? In terms of the market, that can only be a good thing because it's so much easier to find the best deal than by travelling around, or even using the phone.

It may be frustrating but a customer has the choice of buying or going elsewhere. I presume a retailer must rub their hands with glee when a potential customer rails about their pricing because it means that that customer hasn't gone elsewhere and would prefer to stay: "voice" is a form of loyalty.
BeeKeeper

Post by BeeKeeper »

If you want to make an issue of this you could try contacting the Office of Fair Trading, but they are currently investigating the much more malign activities of Pay Day Loan companies, amongst others. So if you are looking for a discounted new bike of this year's model from Dawes I suspect you may have to wait some time for the OFT to get round to doing anything. Alternatively, your local Trading Standards might be prepared to intervene so try them first.

However, I suspect the current situation also benefits bike shops as it allows them to discount the previous year's model in order to shift them. If they had already discounted the current models the old ones would potentially have to be sold at a loss as they would need to discount them further.

But if you wanted a Dawes Horizon I will have a 3 year old one for sale in late September!
indio32

Post by indio32 »

thirdcrank wrote:Surely, one of the big advantages of the internet is the ease of price comparisons? In terms of the market, that can only be a good thing because it's so much easier to find the best deal than by travelling around, or even using the phone.

It may be frustrating but a customer has the choice of buying or going elsewhere. I presume a retailer must rub their hands with glee when a potential customer rails about their pricing because it means that that customer hasn't gone elsewhere and would prefer to stay: "voice" is a form of loyalty.

Not sure I agree, fair enough if your selling the only food for miles around to a starving man who has lots of money BUT if your running a shop where a manufacturer is 'threatening' you not to discount and so your customer is walking out to buy a different brand at another shop .... how can that be good?

I'm not sure what bike I'm going to get BUT as I said if Dawes insist on me paying full retail for a 2012 bike (if thats what I decide I want) then I can assure you Dawes won't see a single penny of my money. And its not just the principle of it its also the numerous "Dawes isn't what it used to be" comments I keep seeing/hearing.
honesty

Post by honesty »

You've still not offered proof that this "threatening" is actually happening, just supposition and your word. Sorry if I don't believe you til I see something a little more concrete.

On discounting of current year bikes, is that really something you would expect? I see last year models discounted all over the place, and some discount/special purchase stuff, but in general I see current year model going for retail or there about.

I can't see the point in buying this years model though if last years model is 500 quid cheaper and only differs in colour though...
BeeKeeper

Post by BeeKeeper »

Just checked the Spar Cycles website. They have a section called "Offers". http://www.spacycles.co.uk/offers.php

Scroll down and you will find a 2012 Dawes Nomad for sale at about £500.00 off.

I suspect the "Dawes don't allow it" may just be an excuse for "We don't want to do it as we only discount old models except if it's something which isn't selling or is about to be superceded for a newer model." Or something like that. However, the long and the short of it is Spar are discounting some Dawes 2012 bikes so clearly they can when they want to.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

indio32

Neither Dawes nor Spa Cycles (AFAIK Spar is a grocer) has a monopoly and as I posted above, the freely available info on the internet helps to prevent a monopoly situation (until somebody comes up with a cunning plan to sell stuff cheaper than anybody else.) What seems apparent to me is that you want a Dawes and you want it at a discounted price, preferably from Spa (whose pricing does tend to be keen.)

Presumably you only posted on here because you couldn't have what you wanted. Looking at this from Spa's POV they must think their current offers are commercially viable or they would alter them. You are giving them free publicity.

Apart from that, as others are saying, you are making allegations about price fixing without much evidence and quite a bit of supposition. Such evidence as you have produced - that Spa are offering discounts in kind and that others offer less generous cash discounts - suggests to me that discounting of Dawes bikes is happening but it's not enough for you.