Castle and Coast route Sustrans

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
bianch77

Castle and Coast route Sustrans

Post by bianch77 »

Hi there

Hoping to get some feedback if possible please.
I'm starting from Edinburgh on Monday and travelling down towards
Berwick upon Tweed. I have taken a look at the Sustrans website and there
are two possible cycle routes to take- route 1 or 76.
Can anyone tell me which is the better one to take in terms of scenery and gradients?
Any feedback welcome
Thanks
Mark1978

Re: Castle and Coast route Sustrans

Post by Mark1978 »

(I haven't done the routes, talking with my general knowledge on driving that way)

Both are very scenic. 76 follows the coast which is lovely, and is the flattest route (but still hilly), this is the route the A1 takes for good reason.

Route 1 basically goes straight over the mountains, so it's a lot more hilly, but the scenery is equally stunning.

Personally I'd stick to the coast.
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

...and personally I'd take the hillier route :) , It depends on how you feel about hills, how much time you have, etc., but there is nothing horrendous on this route and the scenery is fantastic.

You could plot both routes on Bikehike and compare the amount of climbing and the gradients.

Did you do your European tour or is this a substitute?
Fasgadh

Post by Fasgadh »

Not a lot between them hillywise. The climb over the Moorfoot Hills is similar to the one over Coldingham Moor on the coastal route. The coastal route is more direct , the inland one wanders about the Borders a bit. It is very scenic.
PH

Post by PH »

I've only done the coastal route so can't compare. It was a pleasant route, but TBH a lot of it wasn't particularly scenic, I thought the bit further South through Northumberland was better. I didn't find it particularly hilly, OK not flat, but certainly not mountainous either. Mention above of Coldingham reminds me that if you go that way it's worth a detour to St Abb's Head, that is scenic and a bit of a climb.
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

So; toss a coin, they are both good!
bianch77

Post by bianch77 »

Many thanks for responses appreciate it. I am going to do the inland route and take on the hills! Looking forward to it.
LottyKat- This is a pre-tour cycle, I start tour on the 2nd Sept-thanks for asking!
Dweasle

Post by Dweasle »

We did this last summer (2011), and had a great time.

Here is the link to the write-up, if you are interested:- http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=1 ... =9327&v=6o

Have fun.
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

I know you've decided on the overland route - I did the coastal route in May this year. Thoroughly enjoyable (most of the time :wink: )
http://www.togglechaintour.co.uk/forum/ ... 62#msg3762

Whichever way you go - enjoy :D

Steve
Tasker

Post by Tasker »

Greybeard wrote:I know you've decided on the overland route - I did the coastal route in May this year. Thoroughly enjoyable (most of the time :wink: )
http://www.togglechaintour.co.uk/forum/ ... 62#msg3762

Whichever way you go - enjoy :D

Steve

Just clicked on your link - great account of your trip that will fire others (me included) to have a go too. You've certainly got an eye for a photograph. Thanks for taking the trouble.
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Thanks Tasker. I was amazed by how few cyclists I saw on the route - and only two, A Dutch father and son were touring. They were travelling north (with a back wind :roll: ) but finding the hills a real struggle. They were sticking to 20-30 miles a day and were using roadster type bikes.
If you do the route I can heartily recommend the B&B near Dunbar (Thorntonloch House) - fantastically friendy.
The Bakehouse in Seahouses is also a cracking spot.

Steve