Ireland end to end

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
SELLY

Ireland end to end

Post by SELLY »

Do many people cycle from the North of Ireland to the southern most tip of Ireland (like lands end to JOG) , if so how long would it take and what route would you suggest. Just thinking of plans for next spring!
bikepacker

Re: Ireland end to end

Post by bikepacker »

Did it from South to North in May of this year. My diary notes are here: http://www.bikepacker.co.uk/irelandtour.html
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
ruffstuffbob

Post by ruffstuffbob »

Hi, Yes, Malin Head in the north to Mizen Head in the south is the one. Ctc have a detailed sheet. Last year I got the ferry from Holyhead to Dun Laorighe,(nr Dublin) cycled south to Mizen Head up to Malin Head then thought I might as well carry on back to Holyhead,via Belfast etc. full circumnavigation stuff. Took me 3 weeks using Youth Hostels/B & B. camping... brilliant.. go for it. Bob. J.
SELLY

Post by SELLY »

Thanks will try and avoid Louis.
Gearoidmuar

Post by Gearoidmuar »

I've not done it, but I've done nearly all of it in different tours.

Going straight end to end via main road from Galway to Sligo I would not do. Great if you like lorry enemas, otherwise not.

The best tours in Ireland are not this tour.

They are..
Coast of West Cork and Kerry.
Clare and Galway Coasts.
Galway and Mayo Coasts.
Donegal Coast (very hilly).
Antrim coast and glens (not very big).
Waterford Coast and into Kilkenny doing Inishtioge and Graiguenamanna areas.
Co.Tipperary all over.

I'm just starting..
jags

Post by jags »

This Poster is 100% correct. :wink:
now if only he put up a few map routes.
MickTheCyclist

Post by MickTheCyclist »

Gearoidmuar wrote:Antrim coast and glens (not very big).

No but (assume you're going N to S, keep going through Belfast then do Strangford Lough, Mourne Mountains and Ring of Gullion......
Gearoidmuar

Post by Gearoidmuar »

jags wrote:This Poster is 100% correct. :wink:

West Cork Coastal Tour.

Cork Kinsale Ballinspittle, Coast to Timoleague, inland and onto coast at Ring, Clonakilty, along coast on small roads via Castlefreke and Ownahincha to Rosscarbery, side road to Glandore, Union Hall, thence to Castletownsend, small small roads to Lough Ine (Hyne), over hill to Baltimore, Skibbereen, Ballydehob, along coast to Rosbrin (tiny roads), Schull, Goleen, Crookhaven, Barley Cove, Mizen Head, back past Barley Cove to Northern Coast road to Durrus. If weather good do Sheep's Head, if not, not. Bantry Glengarriff, Adrigole, Healy Pass, left at bottom then right to Kilmacillogue, Kenmare, Sneem back inland to near Moll's Gap, down into Black Valley, up through Gap of Dunloe, Killarney, to Muckross back on road to Lough Guitane, then Cork road to Ballyvourney, then road to Clondrohid, straight across Millstreet road, then across Macroom to Ballinagree road to Dripsey, Cork.

That's a tour I did recently with Ukdodger and two other friends.

A cracker! Far more scenic than Lejog, I dare say (I've done Lejog twice)
BE1

Post by BE1 »

Gearoidmuar wrote:
jags wrote:This Poster is 100% correct. :wink:

West Cork Coastal Tour.

Cork Kinsale Ballinspittle, Coast to Timoleague, inland and onto coast at Ring, Clonakilty, along coast on small roads via Castlefreke and Ownahincha to Rosscarbery, side road to Glandore, Union Hall, thence to Castletownsend, small small roads to Lough Ine (Hyne), over hill to Baltimore, Skibbereen, Ballydehob, along coast to Rosbrin (tiny roads), Schull, Goleen, Crookhaven, Barley Cove, Mizen Head, back past Barley Cove to Northern Coast road to Durrus. If weather good do Sheep's Head, if not, not. Bantry Glengarriff, Adrigole, Healy Pass, left at bottom then right to Kilmacillogue, Kenmare, Sneem back inland to near Moll's Gap, down into Black Valley, up through Gap of Dunloe, Killarney, to Muckross back on road to Lough Guitane, then Cork road to Ballyvourney, then road to Clondrohid, straight across Millstreet road, then across Macroom to Ballinagree road to Dripsey, Cork.

That's a tour I did recently with Ukdodger and two other friends.

A cracker! Far more scenic than Lejog, I dare say (I've done Lejog twice)

Agreed8 some fantastic riding there. I've never had the time (or the legs) to do all that in one go :( but here are a couple of bites at something similar :)
http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=1&doc_id=8412&v=2Z
[urlhttp://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=1&doc_id=9398&v=2i][/url]
Gearoidmuar

Post by Gearoidmuar »

Good stuff! I've done all of that in various tours!
jags

Post by jags »

Have to say when i came over the healy pass from glengariff direction into the kingdom of kerry my heart skipped a beat with the sheer beauti ireland has to offer great cycling country . :wink:
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

I did the JOGLE last year and plan to do Ireland end to end this May commencing on 5th May for 5 or 6 days. Any tips on the route and the B&B's would be much appreciated. So far my thoughts are to take in Mizen, Killarney, Limerick, Galway, Sligo and Donegal then up to Malen but not sure which route. Thanks :D
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

My route last year took a similar path to your proposed except after Kilarney I headed for the Shannon Ferry at Tarbert bypassing Limerick. My link is in an earlier posting.

Although I camped there was an abundance of B&B signs on the route so I don't think you will have a problem finding some. Also worth a look is the Hostals, there seemed to be many and Google search should reveal most of them.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
mcallaghan

Post by mcallaghan »

Glad I found this post with suggested routes. I plan on being in Ireland for the month of May, starting in Galway heading south to the Mizen Head (I believe thats the one at the bottom) before circling back around to head back towards Galway. Going to do 50~ Miles a day.
jags

Post by jags »

hostal in doolin is very good,also check out pubs for B?B usually very good .
take wet gear just in case. :wink: