Drumming up

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
simonhill

Re: Drumming up

Post by simonhill »

There is something about it in the Dictionary of Slang
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=IAj ... ea&f=false

Possibly oldest use is tramps or Romany for tea making (or cooking) beside the road. Also definitely soldiers in WW1.

It does seem common with Scottish cycling groups for a brew up.
colin54

Post by colin54 »

Some Drum up pictures on the Drum Up blog.

http://www.owenphilipson.com/blog/2010/ ... -drum-ups/

You can smell the smoke almost....
Nu-Fogey
georgew

Post by georgew »

I well remember talking with Gavin Brown who was in his nineties at the time and a well-known Fife cyclist, about "drumming up". He spoke of the time when cyclists were returning from a weekend cycling up north and were making their way home on Sunday evening to start work on the Monday. As he made his way up from the Glenfarg road leading to Gateside, the field on the right-hand side would be lit up with the many fires of cyclists as they had one last drum-up before reaching home. He also spoke of how on a Friday evening, when heading for a Youth Hostel somewhere in the Highlands and with darkness falling, he and his pals would wrap themselves in their capes and sleep in a hedge.

There exists an audio recording of a BBC radio 2 programme of Gavin and other cyclists of that era talking about their experiences of that time.
Jacque_Lucque

Post by Jacque_Lucque »

georgew wrote:I well remember talking with Gavin Brown who was in his nineties at the time and a well-known Fife cyclist, about "drumming up". He spoke of the time when cyclists were returning from a weekend cycling up north and were making their way home on Sunday evening to start work on the Monday. As he made his way up from the Glenfarg road leading to Gateside, the field on the right-hand side would be lit up with the many fires of cyclists as they had one last drum-up before reaching home. He also spoke of how on a Friday evening, when heading for a Youth Hostel somewhere in the Highlands and with darkness falling, he and his pals would wrap themselves in their capes and sleep in a hedge.

There exists an audio recording of a BBC radio 2 programme of Gavin and other cyclists of that era talking about their experiences of that time.

Apologies for zombifying this ancient thread but, as a new user, I am unable to send a direct message.

@GeorgeW: do you have any further details on the aforementioned radio programme? I've had a good nose about but I'm unable to find anything about it. Do you know roughly what era it was from?
slowster

Post by slowster »

Jacque_Lucque wrote:as a new user, I am unable to send a direct message.

I think as soon as your first post was approved, you were able to send a PM.

https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=57186#p479468
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

...only meaning I'm familiar with is to drum up business, ie to gather support for an idea or some object or service, intended for distribution or sale. Always on the look-out for alternatives - somebody recently tried to sell me the notion that the phrase donkey's years, was originaly donkey's ears, on account of them being so long! Not sure if I buy that one :D
Another common phrase that's changed over the years, is the 64 million dollar question - it originated from a US radio programme, when the hardest question in the quiz could win just $64 - that's inflation for you!!
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

On the only occasion I went out with the Glasgow CTC we stopped for a drum up, with a bonfire made in a wood for some shelter from the biting winter wind. No stoves in sight. I quite enjoyed the outing but didn't like riding in a chaingang, so never went back.