tour out of Dunkirk but not into Belgium, any suggestions?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
gazerath

tour out of Dunkirk but not into Belgium, any suggestions?

Post by gazerath »

Me and a friend are thinking of hoping on the ferry from Dover to Dunkirk and riding a mini tour. Thinking of doing 4-5 days. Getting to Dunkirk seems to be our cheapest option but trying to find routes on the net is providing rather difficult. I was wondering if we could do a big loop taking us back to Dunkirk for the return ferry.

We will probably be camping but I'm less keen on the idea as imagine it will just be rain, rain and rain when we go. Looking to leave 27th October.

Can any one recommend any good routes or destinations to take in on our journey.

Would be very much appreciated.

Thank

Gareth
simonhill

Re: tour out of Dunkirk but not into Belgium, any suggestion

Post by simonhill »

I know its Belguim, but only just........have you thought of heading for Ypres. Lots to see, lots of accom and camping (not sure if open in Oct). It take's about a day to get there.

You could then loop back into France and back to Dunkirk. Lots of WW1 stuff to see in the area if you are interested.
Poshgill

Post by Poshgill »

I've just come back from a tour in France and went out via Dunkirk. I was averaging about 50 or so miles a day and went down to the Somme area to see the battlefields. I stayed in hotels. Ibis budget or Formula 1 hotels. These hotels are about £25 a night and you can get up to 3 people in the room with a double bed and a bunk bed. I stayed in Bethune, Cambrai, Amiens and Berck Plage coming home via Calais. It was a great trip but a word of caution. The sign posts out of Dunkirk are awful and I was riding round for ages trying to find the right road.

It was a great trip and I loved every minute even though the weather could have been better. The French were I increadibly friendly and the sites were very moving. If you are not interested in the First World war the scenery was very nice.
stevelr51

Post by stevelr51 »

Yes I wsould agree about the signage out of the ferry port of Dunkirk, when we went back in June 2009 there were major roadworks and road closures making life very difficult but this will not be the case as of now, it took us under 3 hours to get to Ypres but got there too late for the playing of the last post which occurs every evening at 20.00 local time.

We did a tour of a big loop staying in hotels, B and B's and youth hostel, and yes we did have a train assist .of @ 50 miles on each occasion to ove us on out of the weather system on 2 very bad days of rain but still managed to do a decent mileage of @ 500 miles taking in 6 countries in 6 days, taking in Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany ,Holland and France not bad eh ?