Rack Bag for Touring

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
smiffy462

Rack Bag for Touring

Post by smiffy462 »

My wife and I are riding from Caen to Bilbao later this month on a tandem and currently have front and rear panniers. In addition we would like a rack bag but the only one I've come across is the 9.5 litre Ortlieb Hardshell Bikebox 2. Is this suitable for touring or is it more for commuting. Are there any other bags anyone could recommend.
Thanks. Ian
diapason

Post by diapason »

I've only seen pictures of this, but it looks to very like a motorbike topbox. I would have thought that this might be in the way when mounting the bike and would make it very top heavy too. I've seen many tourists using Ortlieb type waterproof dufflebags on the rack. I've thought about this, but, for my commuting, think it might be overkill. Might be ok on a tandem if it's only used for light items.

Sounds a great tour - good luck,

Nigel
Advena ego sum in Terra
lisap

Post by lisap »

I use an Ortleib bike box in addition to Bob trailer and handlebar bag. It is the old style version without the hard outer case, the inside has the rigid bit and I prefer it to the new version. Totally waterproof as well.

It is excellent for those day items that you may need like waterproofs, repair tools, warmer clothing for the downhills and handy for stuffing food in to when you come across a shop. No need to delve into it unless you have to but there just in case.

I have never had a problem with it making the bike unstable or it getting in the way. For minimal trips I leave the trailer at home and just use the bike box and handlebar bag and it's never let me down yet.