Touring in Croatia

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Cider and Scotch

Touring in Croatia

Post by Cider and Scotch »

Hello boys and girls ,as winter approaches i am thinking about a tour to Croatia in May 2013 Do you have any reccomendations for a weeks tour ,50 miles a day . having looked at a map i wonder if the main coastal road fro Zadar to Rab and Rijeka is safe to cycle ? We use lightly loaded hybrids ,and stay in Band Bs /2-3 star hotels . Any ideas greatfully recieved . Appreciated neil
smith4188

Re: Touring in Croatia

Post by smith4188 »

I've never done the coast road but I've heard it's busy. That said, from previous trips, Split and especially Dubrovnik are worth a visit. I cycled to Zagreb just over a month ago and that's a great place. Check out the Museum of Broken Relationships.
http://www.EuropeByBicycle.com - Country-by-country touring info for 54 European nations and disputed regions
psmiffy

Post by psmiffy »

I cycled Venice - Chioggia - Rimini - Ancona - Split (CRO) - Zadar - Pag - Prizna - Senj - Rijeka - Pula - Porenzo - Pirano - Isola (SLK) - Trieste (I) - Portograro - Venice

I cannot remember any of the coast road being particularly busy or treacherous - the head wind though was another matter
Dudley Manlove

Post by Dudley Manlove »

I've heard that coastal road can get very busy, but I was along that stretch several Mays ago and it wasn't too bad. The campsites were not busy at that time, so I suspect peak season had not yet hit.

The A-roads in that part of the world can be very hairy if busy tho, certainly beyond my comfort level.

If you fancied a bit of climbing there's some mountain huts you can stay in very cheaply in the mountains running alongside the coast... :twisted:
takeonafrica

Post by takeonafrica »

I'll be cycling the coast road from Split to Zadar next week. I'll let you know how it is!
I've come over on the ferry from Italy (Ancona-Split). Tuscany is lovely to cycle too. That's another option I guess, to do a combination of Italy and Croatia...
http://www.helenstakeon.com
Books: Desert Snow and A Siberian Winter's Tale
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

I cycled this coast road in August/September 2011 and just had a quick read of the log of the trip.

I have recorded the stretch of coast from RIJEKA down to STARIGRAD as being the quietest and desolate stretch of the coast, with the stretch from KARLOBAG being particularly quiet, even took double water rations as there is nothing much along that particular stretch. The traffic was not a problem, although quite a few Swiss/German and Italian vehicles traveling that section of the route. No hassle though, all reasonably behaved ! lots of Motorcycles as it must be one of the classic bits of coast road in Europe.

The stretch from ZADAR to SPLIT must be one of the flattest sections of the whole coast road, according to the log I managed it in one day (longest day of the trip at 104 miles)

This is an example of the north coast

My Hotel in Karlobag

Plenty of good food

This is on the River NERETVA. They have a big party here once a year here and it could possibly be in May but not sure (GPS N 43 02.984, E 017 28.576 decimal minutes)

Anyway I hope that gives an idea of the area, bearing in mind this was high summer. Even so the traffic was not really an issue, but the hills and heat were. There were plenty of hotels, restaurants, some campsites so no trouble really. Good luck.
rosyandjim

Post by rosyandjim »

Hi

We cycled down the length of Croatia about a month ago. The coastal road was fine but not great fun. We much preferred the sections in which we took a ferry across to an island and cycled across them. Be sure to check which ferries will take bicycles in advance though. We had good time, enjoy.
Cider and Scotch

Post by Cider and Scotch »

This is brilliant ............ The pictures were superb . Definetly thinking about some Island hopping . Thank you Neil
takeonafrica

Post by takeonafrica »

I just cycled from Split to Zadar and would say that it is a nice enough ride but a bit too busy in parts for my liking. Out of Split to Trogir was quite busy, but the coast from there round to Sibernik was quiet. Sibernik north to Zadar was a bit busy in parts too. It's not so much that the volume of traffic is that great outside of the towns, but it does go fast. I have to agree (having been on Hvar) that the islands would be much quieter and at least as beautiful, if not more so, and it's so easy to take the ferries.
A few photos here: http://helenstakeon.com/blog/croatia-a- ... -vacation/
And of Tuscany if that took your fancy (as could get the ferry from Ancona to Croatia): http://helenstakeon.com/blog/tuscany-ta ... -in-italy/
http://www.helenstakeon.com
Books: Desert Snow and A Siberian Winter's Tale