Iceland Info (route 1)

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
philip89thomas

Iceland Info (route 1)

Post by philip89thomas »

I’ve just added some information about my 900 mile cycle round route 1 of Iceland if you are interested click on the link below

www.philip89thomas.blogspot.co.uk
Si

Re: Iceland Info (route 1)

Post by Si »

Interesting stuff - although that orange back ground is painful on the eyes :D

How did you get to iceland- fly or ferries?
philip89thomas

Post by philip89thomas »

Thanks for some feedback, just started the blog.

I flew from Manchester, took the pedals off, turned handle bars sideways, deflated the tyres and put the bike in a large heavy duty clear plastic bag, taped it up. Bike travelled there and back undamaged . The bike was about £20 each way which I thought was cheap.
chiwoman

Post by chiwoman »

That really is going some! Did you find campsites as you went or prebook them? How expensive were campsites and food? I ask because I hope to go next summer.
If you went again would you go into the internal region or spend more time in any particular region?
Which bit exactly was 50miles with nothing?
thanks for your help on this
cindy
philip89thomas

Post by philip89thomas »

It was a little faster than I was planning but I had only limited time out there.

Nearly every town I came across had a camp site as well as a tourist office which were all really helpful. Also all the tourist offices had free maps which had all the camp sites marked on them. But needed a new map for each region.

I didn’t pre book any off the camp sites but it was early in the season, I had been warned that mid season the camp sites can become full. They were about £5 ish the ones out of town tended to be cheaper than the ones in towns.

If you go into the internal the roads will not be tarmac in most cases. All the way round is different so enjoyed each for different reasons. The east was the quietest part of the island . The bottom of the Iceland (west) is where I had the biggest gaps between towns.

Any other question just ask, hope that helps you.

Also good luck if you go its worth it, amazing island.
iviehoff

Post by iviehoff »

>I ask because I hope to go next summer.
You might find my detailed notes on cycling Iceland useful.
http://www.masterlyinactivity.com/ivan/iceland.html
http://www.masterlyinactivity.com/ivan/ ... zones.html
familyonabike

Post by familyonabike »

I can see it was a charity challenge ride but did you explore off the ring road at all? Or not enough time?
philip89thomas

Post by philip89thomas »

I stayed on the ring road all the way round because of limited time i had out there, but i would like to go back and explore the interior and the west.
philip89thomas

Post by philip89thomas »

Just added a short photo film of my time out in Iceland,

Just click on link below, then Iceland page and go to the bottom.

www.philip89thomas.blogspot.co.uk