Help with a route from Nante to Sainte via La Rochelle

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Shawnee

Help with a route from Nante to Sainte via La Rochelle

Post by Shawnee »

A friend and I are planning our first independent 7 day cycle/camping tour from Nante to Sainte in August next year and would like some advice please.

Does anyone have ideas on an interesting route, any towns / villages/ Islands/ attractions we must visit? Should we stick to the coast line or head slightly inland for quieter roads and less wind? We plan to cycle 40-45 miles per day and have at least one rest day to visit La Rochelle, we are returning to the UK with the bike bus from Sainte.

Should we book campsites before we go with it being August or will we be ok just turning up with 2 small touring tents.?

Thanks
Ray

Re: Help with a route from Nante to Sainte via La Rochelle

Post by Ray »

I guess your tour will follow a week at the Semaine Federale in Nantes in early August? I did something similar this year, riding from the SF in Niort to catch the return bike bus from Agen. Afraid I can't help with details of your route, except perhaps to say that there are several miles of very pleasant cycle route along the coast around and through La Rochelle. I did not book ahead after the SF, and found no difficulty in finding spaces on campsites. As you probably know, municipal sites are usually quiet, cheap and welcoming (away from the coastal honeypots, anyway).

Have fun

Ray
Ray
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt - Bertrand Russell
Shawnee

Post by Shawnee »

Hi Ray

Yes we are going to the Semaine Federale, its our first time and Ive heard good things about it.

I only started cycle touring last year and I am working my way through as many events as possible. Everything is new and out of my comfort zone but I do enjoy the challenges of touring. As for the route my plan is to head south and keep the sea to my right until we get to La Rochelle then try and find Sainte.

Thanks for your reply.
Bogawski

Post by Bogawski »

Shawnee,
I did a similar route a couple of years ago, pretty flat all the way to La Rochelle via St Philbert, La Roche, Lucon. From La Rochelle I went via Rochfort to an unmissable place on the coast called Brouage which is an old Napoleonic sea fort/supply town. (Road from La Rochelle to Rochfort very busy, they have cycleways but I found myself getting disorientated on them so stuck to the road unless there was one right alongside).
Ile d'Oleron worth a visit if only for the bridge crossing, from there it looks like you have a straight run to Saintes.
You should have plenty of time, nice area esp. Brouage, I stayed a couple of nights in the only Hotel right on the main street, loads of visitors but they all go in the evening, memorable area, oyster beds etc. check it out on the net.
I found some of the route in a book called "Cycle Touring in France" which is well worth a read, lots of good tips.
Have a good trip.