YHA dead?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Milfred Cubicle

YHA dead?

Postby Milfred Cubicle » 10 Nov 2012, 8:05pm

Is it just me, or has the YHA become a complete rip off? I wanted to go away with my wife and kids for a weekend break. Every option we looked at was close to £90-100 per night. Yes, I know you can save by self catering etc, but when you look at £30-50 for a Premier Inn, including a HUGE breakfast, hostels don't seem worth it. They all seem to want to cater for college/school trips at the expense of everything else. I stayed at Ambleside hostel recently, and whilst the cafe/restaurant was wery swanky, the self catering kitchen was very sorry looking.
We've never taken the bikes to Premier Inn, but the ones we've used said they could find somewhere safe to lock the bikes if we 'phoned ahead. Another nail in the YHA coffin?

meic

Re: YHA dead?

Postby meic » 10 Nov 2012, 8:17pm

They certainly are making it very hard to keep using them.

The word Youth should leave the title, I have been trying to encourage my fifteen year old son to go and explore the world, he would have to lie about his age to be allowed in a YHA!

Also trying to travel with a young child of the opposite sex can be exorbitant, you may be forced to take whole 4 person room and pay MORE than 4 people would. You get three pounds back for every adult YHA member in the room. So despite my daughter having life YHA membership she costs three pounds more than an adult. The two empty beds pay full price too.

All this is if there is still a YHA left open and not group booked for the weekend.
Yma o Hyd

meic

Postby meic » 10 Nov 2012, 8:26pm

On the other hand they do appear to offer some good deals (if they exist in real life).

http://www.yha.org.uk/special-offer/winter-warmer
Yma o Hyd

Milfred Cubicle

Postby Milfred Cubicle » 10 Nov 2012, 8:34pm

I hadn't worked out how they make it so expensive, but that would explain it. As for your son having to lie about his age, that's just a classic example of societyy telling kids they need to be responsible, then treating them like babies. I'd be buying him a tent. I started cycle camping in my teens, and I think most campsite owners appreciate that if you get there under your own steam, you've probably got some moral fibre.

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 10 Nov 2012, 8:37pm

Milfred Cubicle wrote: ... under your own steam, ....

Now, where have I heard that before? :? It certainly seems to ring a bell.

eileithyia

Postby eileithyia » 10 Nov 2012, 8:41pm

I too have had poor experience of the family room trap... when Andrew was first little and YHA-ing we could stay at warden's discretion in a small room for the price of 2 adults, then one year we wanted to book for Xmas ... we were told we would have to have a family and pay the price of 4 adults for 2 adults and a 5 month old baby!!!!!!! Needless to say we did not bother!
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells

byegad

Postby byegad » 10 Nov 2012, 9:17pm

It was a great business model pre WWII. Sadly in the 21st century it is not.
"I thought of that while riding my bike." -Albert Einstein, on the Theory of Relativity

2007 ICE QNT
2008 Hase Kettwiesel AL27
2011 Catrike Trail
1951 engine

horizon

Postby horizon » 10 Nov 2012, 9:19pm

On a recent visit to a YHA (if I haven't posted this already) the assistant warden (sorry, manager) from Poland as it happens apologised for being rushed off his feet. I suggested that it was a pity they had got rid of the system of "doing a duty" so making his job harder. He looked at me for some time, obviously struggling with his English. He asked me to repeat what I had said and then said slowly "So you mean ze ... customers ... did ... ze cleaning...? No, no, zat was not possible." He refused to believe me. I pointed out that his choice of the word customer rather than member may have had something to do with it.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher

1982john

Postby 1982john » 10 Nov 2012, 9:38pm

Seems to be anything but dead to me, when ever i'm searching for a bed they always seem full (i'm not doing my self any favors by waiting until the last minute).

Price wise they are not amazing if it wasnt for the fact being a singleton B&Bs are boring I would avoid YHA as B&Bs offer better value and far better service.

horizon

Postby horizon » 10 Nov 2012, 9:48pm

1982john wrote:Seems to be anything but dead to me, when ever i'm searching for a bed they always seem full (i'm not doing my self any favors by waiting until the last minute).

Price wise they are not amazing if it wasnt for the fact being a singleton B&Bs are boring I would avoid YHA as B&Bs offer better value and far better service.

I don't think they are dead either, though a B&B on you own can seem pretty dead compared to a common room full of hikers, cyclists and travellers ....
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher

531colin

Postby 531colin » 10 Nov 2012, 10:47pm

View from Premier Inn bedroom window

Art Deco staircase at Premier Inn

Premier Inn car park

andymiller

Postby andymiller » 11 Nov 2012, 7:54am

meic wrote:All this is if there is still a YHA left open and not group booked for the weekend.

Last night I checked availability for next Saturday - there were plenty of hostels with places available. My experience in other countries (Italy) is that after the end of October (or even September) hostels outside main cities close or are only open for groups. the number of YHA hostels that are open is impressive.

S531 so you found a very nice Premier Inn. If all Premier Inns were like that and they only cost £30 ... well we can dream
Last edited by andymiller on 11 Nov 2012, 9:03am, edited 1 time in total.
Italy Cycling Guide - a resource for cycle touring in Italy.

Mark1978

Postby Mark1978 » 11 Nov 2012, 8:23am

I think Colin was taking the micturate ;)

gordy

Postby gordy » 11 Nov 2012, 8:45am

I think it's the Premier Inn chain who are dead. I need to stay in London overnight next month and they wanted £129 for a room and extra for breakfast. A bed in a YHA dorm right beside St Paul's is £15 and I can cook my own porridge in the morning.

Premier Inn are clueless and their business model is hopeless and failing... :wink:

andymiller

Postby andymiller » 11 Nov 2012, 9:00am

Mark1978 wrote:I think Colin was taking the micturate ;)

d'OH! :oops:
Italy Cycling Guide - a resource for cycle touring in Italy.