total security proceedure[tsp]

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
largeallan

Re: total security proceedure[tsp]

Post by largeallan »

:lol:
ronyrash

Post by ronyrash »

[batambang cambodia]
this is a good tsp.surprise,surprise. my new bank card dosnt work.
tried 2 or 3 banks the card passing from one person to another ideal circumstance for card
disapering somewhere along the line.to remind me the card was -loose- i secured my wrist watch round my fingers.after the card was safe in its pouch i fastend the watch back on my wrist.
jjpeterberger

Post by jjpeterberger »

and here I am trying to understand Brits when they speak 'English'... :?
Peterberger Bike Adventures

Fast enough to get there...slow enough to see
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

he's had me scratching my head a time or two too!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
ronyrash

Post by ronyrash »

[rakh gia vietnam]
some very good post here.1or 2 aknowledge their scattyness.they are bowned for total security.good luck.so far this trip.only lost an old pair of shorts [thos keyboard as no letters]
wich is very bad for a tsp person.in vietnam you have to surrender yoir passport.[papo here]
now what cqn i do to prevent leaving without it? this was adiffocult one. i have tied up the wheel of my bike.and it stays tied untill the papo is safe in its pouch.there is another -tsp-
story but later on a letterd kewboard.
BeeKeeper

Post by BeeKeeper »

ronyrash wrote:kewboard

Made from a tree grown in Kew Gardens?
Tigger

Post by Tigger »

Hey guys, I thought we didn't pull up people, or make fun of them, for spelling/ caps lock/ grammar etc, on this forum? Rony is doing his best to tell us about his method(s) for overcoming scattiness. Whilst under stress with loss of bank card etc.

As mentioned, its a good topic! I'm a pro at leaving things behind... fortunately it hasn't cost me financiallly in a big way, yet :shock:

On my first tour I left a 1/3 read book on the ferry (excuse: due to shock of nearly getting off at wrong port + seasick!) and a map in a pub (excuse: yacf forumite I bumped into bragging about how much luggage he had, how far he had cycled etc etc). I've just ordered the replacement map to help me plan next tour. Would've ordered it a while ago but Amazon was asking £27 at the time! (Now £3.75 :)

One bit of advice I was given, is to 'count things in and out'. Eg taking onto ferry: bike, three bags and a jacket = 5. Therefore, on leaving, count 5 items. Haven't mastered this myself I have to say, not because I can't count :lol: more cos I forget to do it. Or rearrange luggage which changes the count!
BeeKeeper

Post by BeeKeeper »

Suitably chastened I had better make a contribution.

I have been bitten by a thief in Jordan, not literally but it annoys me he got the better of me. He was only about 10 years old and was hustling me to buy peanuts while I parked the car. Somehow during this he made off with my dark glasses which were resting on the top of the dashboard. They were prescription glasses so would not have been much use to him but still annoying now after umpteen years.

My only trick for avoiding leaving things behind, assuming they have not been snaffled by a thief (see above), is the time honoured method of simply having a good look round before leaving a campsite or stop by the side of the road.

In an ideal world I would be so organised everything would go back in its pre-determined place after use but I am simply not that organised and have never yet managed to keep to any sort of strict packing system for a bar bag let alone panniers.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I still leave things behind on the side of road etc, with the exception of my maps which I left on the rack, they fell off on departing and I even heard a noise when they fell off but still carried on :(
I normally go though my mind and rethink what I did in the last few minutes, and have been lucky up to now.
I only ever wild camp so thats easy as you pack every thing, walk a few paces then look at the site just in case.
If I had a passport then I would hag it round my neck down my shirt.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
MarkF

Post by MarkF »

Ok, I give up, it's like reading the old teleprinter from BBC Grandstand
hufty

Post by hufty »

Tigger wrote:Hey guys, I thought we didn't pull up people, or make fun of them, for spelling/ caps lock/ grammar etc, on this forum?
I agree absolutely. If you've ever tried to hammer out an email on a knackered keyboard in a backpacker's internet cafe you'll know what ronyrash is up against.

I have a couple of tsp tips to offer
  • The spare key for my lock is *always* on a string round my neck.
  • My lock is *always* stored closed so that I have to have the key before I can use it.
  • I've just changed my phone to a Tesco Capped SIM, which is Pay Monthly for "normal" UK calls but PAYG for International calls, this to limit my liability if I lose my phone abroad.
Please do not use this post in Cycle magazine
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

hufty wrote:
Tigger wrote:Hey guys, I thought we didn't pull up people, or make fun of them, for spelling/ caps lock/ grammar etc, on this forum?
I agree absolutely. If you've ever tried to hammer out an email on a knackered keyboard in a backpacker's internet cafe you'll know what ronyrash is up against.

I think ronyrash's problem is complicated by using an Asian keyboard.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
vjosullivan

Post by vjosullivan »

jjpeterberger wrote:and here I am trying to understand Brits when they speak 'English'... :?

It's English Jim, but not as we know it.
E25
ronyrash

Post by ronyrash »

[somewhere between rach gia and ca mau mekong delta.mekong river over 2000miles long same as the missippi]
apart from missing letters [at least its good for touch typing practice] the key boards are iv mainly used only differ with @ and not having a pound key.but they can be pretty tricky,with many keys having 4funktions.hufftys post shows a high level of tsp expertise a simple thing like locking the lock so u have to have the key before locking the bike.saves heaps of fraustration.look at all the bike stands, all the abandoned chain and locks what a tale of woe.but no more of that for tsp people.hufftys set for life.
now my own tale of woe- in vietnam i have to leave my passport [papo] at the hotel.big risk of leaving hotel next morning without it.i tsp it by tying up the wheel of the bke.
next morning i had to remind the patron about the papo.after it was safe in its very own pouch i untied the wheel.i left feeling very pleased with my self.later on in the
afternoon when going for a swim i was shocked to see the hotel key attached to my waist cord.what to do? it was too far to cycle back that day to return it.so iv booked into an nya thro [guest house] which as this internet cafe next door.tomorrow i will take the bus and return the key to the hotel,bus back to begin cycling again.i still have this plan to explain to the landlady in the morning.thatl be fun.future hotel key tsp-i will return the key the night before leaving.and i will ty a sock to my waist cord to remind me the key as been returned.