What changed while I was away..

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
shane

What changed while I was away..

Post by shane »

Things that changed while I was in Africa for a year:

1. "Inbox me" has become an acceptable term for something. I only hope it has something to do with an email inbox and not some kind of cult or fetish.
2. Staring at your phone in public places is now normal rather than doing any of the 100 other possible social interactions or pass times.
3. The Dutch have raised BTW( VAT) to 21% making my two favorite pass times more expensive (ordering bicycle parts and drinking booze, my other favorite pass time is generally free...).
4. The word "austerity" has joined the ranks of the symbol "@". Ten years ago no one knew what it meant, now we do.
5. Traffic jams are now a lot shorter (or so I hear, I don't have a car), I guess that's what happens when most of the builders/contractors/bankers no longer have work.
6. It has now become socially acceptable not to have a real life and instead just post "interesting" stuff on social media and pretend you are interesting, rather than actually talking to friends and family pressing the "like" button is much more convenient. Very convenient for me because like everyone else I don't have a life :).
7. Staring at your phone while with friends and family has also become acceptable behavior. It seems "having a laugh with..." facebook update is actually more interesting than actually having a laugh with the person you're supposed to be having a laugh with.
8. Sir Patrick Moore has jumped ship only days before the alleged "end of the world" what are we on now part 13? or "end of the world : The revenge"?
9. Arranging things with friends via SMS or telephone is impossible, apparently I need to "app" them to talk.

Apart from that and my own addiction to socially media nothing of consequence has changed in Europe. There's a few countries here and there still threatening the Euro, the banks and stock exchange or still crying wolf, house prices are still dropping towards the real prices of a small piece of land and a pile of bricks and further afield America is still sticking there nose in where it doesn't belong.

Time to turn the TV off for another year me thinks, it was nice and quiet without "News" (read hearsay, repeats, scare tactics, assumptions, gossip and general non-sense) .

END OF POST TOUR CULTURE SHOCK RANT
meic

Re: What changed while I was away..

Post by meic »

A recent trip to England compared to my normal (limited) real world social life, has shown me that I live an "on tour" life.

In my social circles, the majority of people keep their mobiles well hidden, assuming they even have one.
Yma o Hyd
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

I am still wading my way through Riian Mansers book... African touring cyclists are very brave.
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
vernon

Post by vernon »

Your friends, acquaintances and home based environment are a bit slow catching up then.

Most of the observations are so last decade :wink:
shane

Post by shane »

@al_yrpal Wading is a suitable term for getting through that book, I binned it 3/4 the way through. Some people make life difficult for themselfs.....

@vernon I suspect I'm the one thats a little behind the times :)
takeonafrica

Post by takeonafrica »

I came back from Africa and found out I was the only person who had not heard of Justin Bieber. I was happy with that and I suspect it helped my quick turn-around for another tour to the States.
I came back from the Americas tour and found out that 50 Shades of Grey and Zumba were the 'in' things. I have still not read the book or taken dance lessons. I am however planning another tour to Asia this time.
http://www.helenstakeon.com
Books: Desert Snow and A Siberian Winter's Tale
meic

Post by meic »

I still havent found out most of what happened whilst I was away and that was over twenty years ago.
I seem to recall that somebody called Bush kicked off a Gulf War.
Yma o Hyd
Dudley Manlove

Post by Dudley Manlove »

shane wrote:2. Staring at your phone in public places is now normal rather than doing any of the 100 other possible social interactions or pass times....

7. Staring at your phone while with friends and family has also become acceptable behavior. It seems "having a laugh with..." facebook update is actually more interesting than actually having a laugh with the person you're supposed to be having a laugh with...

END OF POST TOUR CULTURE SHOCK RANT

There was a time when anyone yapping away on a mobile in a busy train carridge would get dirty looks. Not so long ago, messing about on your phone while talking to other people, walking down the street, during meetings, etc was unacceptable. Now it's normal. Last meeting I was in at work, everyone but the speaker was dicking about on their phones. Ho Hum.
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Coming back from a trip away can sometimes give a false impression of reality. As the returning adventurer you return with, a bit, the sense that you are the one who has been "Doing Something" and those you return to have done nothing. They have stayed behind and nothing has changed.

What I found I had missed was all the subtle small changes. People moved way, got other jobs or partners, moved in different circles. And a collection of small events and things that happened between friends, that you were not there to share. Your home town does not stop while you are away "doing your trip" but carries on without you. Still, it is always nice to come home. :)
Joe.B

Post by Joe.B »

After returning from a long trip a few years ago I was buying a magazine in Smiths, I ended up asking the assistant if she had given me a foreign coin with my change. I’d never seen a £2 coin before.
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

Mattie wrote:Coming back from a trip away can sometimes give a false impression of reality. As the returning adventurer you return with, a bit, the sense that you are the one who has been "Doing Something" and those you return to have done nothing. They have stayed behind and nothing has changed.

What I found I had missed was all the subtle small changes. People moved way, got other jobs or partners, moved in different circles. And a collection of small events and things that happened between friends, that you were not there to share. Your home town does not stop while you are away "doing your trip" but carries on without you. Still, it is always nice to come home. :)

Sounds very familiar.

After living in HK for several years, I returned to stay with my folks in a rather parochial and grim town and there was a great feeling of being totally at odds with this place and unable to relate with it at all. Generally referred to it as geographical mogadon at the time. I've never really gone back to the circle of friends I had previously; I guess this happens naturally, even if staying home, but not being the type to keep in touch when away, I'd gone off to my own world and get used to it. My old life was a different planet, and now I've migrated north with my partner I think perhaps I'm living on the moon, albeit a more green and pleasant one than where I grew up!

Shane- saw your idea for next jaunt in the cold the other day, and await the reports with anticipation. Wonder if most would think me a freak for having no interest in the heat and 'exoticism' of Africa, but a fascination for the other extreme!

Cheers, Jem.
The Mechanic

Post by The Mechanic »

The biggest change I have noticed is the tendency to call Campagnolo components "Campy" rather than "Campag". I believe this is an Americanism but it infuriates me as an increasing number of Brits are using it too. The political correctness of this forum preclude me elaborating more.
Cancer changes your outlook on life. Change yours before it changes you.
andymiller

Post by andymiller »

The Mechanic wrote:The biggest change I have noticed is the tendency to call Campagnolo components "Campy" rather than "Campag". I believe this is an Americanism but it infuriates me as an increasing number of Brits are using it too. The political correctness of this forum preclude me elaborating more.

Erm if the name is 'Campagnolo' why is 'Campag' any better than 'Campy'?
Italy Cycling Guide - a resource for cycle touring in Italy.
phil parker

Post by phil parker »

andymiller wrote:Erm if the name is 'Campagnolo' why is 'Campag' any better than 'Campy'?

...er, 'Campy' might just give the wrong impression in today's vernacular :lol: !