Trans America?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
tippy

Trans America?

Post by tippy »

Hi all

After finishing my solo JoGLE last year I've been itching to start planning something else. The freedom and adventure of doing the JoGLE has got me hooked and excited about what can be achieved with careful planning and preparation.
I'm not getting any younger so its best to do this while your fit and healthy, does anyone have any good pointers / reference material about where to start with such a ride?

Thanks all and happy cycling
canamdad

Re: Trans America?

Post by canamdad »

Good start right here: http://www.adventurecycling.org/
irc

Post by irc »

Try crazyguyonabike.com

If you can ride Lands End to John O Groats then you can ride across America if you have the time. It just takes longer. Think of it as four Lands End to John O Groats in a row except for the last three you are already tour fit. I took 14 days for my 1000 mile LEJOG so on that basis I judged that allowing for a slower pace a 4000 mile ride across America should take 10 weeks. I ended up with a 4700 mile 11 week trip. The classic coast to coast is the Transamerica east to west from Yorktown to Oregon at 4200 miles usually starting in the spring. It is a big country with thousands of miles of low traffic roads though there is endless scope for selecting your own route or adapting existing routes.

If you follow one of the adventure cycling routes the roads are almost all low traffic, the maps are good, and they have ample info on facilities in the various towns.

map.jpg

elev.jpg

info.jpg
bobbyj

Post by bobbyj »

Hi , I am doing this next year and have already booked my flight to Washington for the 30th. April and my return from Seattle on the 25th.July, both by Icelandair. I have got the appropriate Adventure Cycling maps and an intinerary from another guy who did it earlier this year. Message me if you feel you might want to tag along (and if you think we might be compatible) also if you have the time to do it. I am over 60 and consider myself to be quite fit (I do triathlons and have done many tours of late). Let me know. Bob. J. Bradford.
tippy

Post by tippy »

Hi Bob, thanks for the info and offer. I am thinking about 2014 for a trip next year is a little too soon for me. Triathlons? Sheesh I'm 34 and you wouldn't get me anywhere near doing one of those! :-)
albal1

Post by albal1 »

Done the Transam earlier this year pm me if you'd like any advice.
ruffstuffbob

Post by ruffstuffbob »

Hi, I have only 2 concerns at the moment which others as well as me might have. 1] What are the odds of meeting an agressive grizzly bear en route and 2] are hurricanes aka twisters a problem. (my friends keep pulling my leg about them). Thanks. I will pm you if other things come to mind. Cheers. Bob. J.
irc

Post by irc »

ruffstuffbob wrote:Hi, I have only 2 concerns at the moment which others as well as me might have. 1] What are the odds of meeting an agressive grizzly bear en route and 2] are hurricanes aka twisters a problem. (my friends keep pulling my leg about them). Thanks. I will pm you if other things come to mind. Cheers. Bob. J.

1 Slim - zero. On my tour through Washington State, Montana and Colorado , all grizzly or black bear country I only saw one grizzly, from a few hundred yards. Official campsites in National Parks have steel bear boxes to secure your food and toiletries. Google search for detailed advice but in short the rules are never cook or keep food/toiletries in your tent. If wild camping hang your food, ideally 12 feet off the ground a couple of hundred yards downwind from your tent. If there are no suitable trees still stash your food a couple of hundred yards away. If wild camping don't cook near your tent. Go a couple of hundred yards away or else stop and cook before camping.

I did meet one guy who had been forced to stop by a bear on the road riding in the early morning. There is far more chance of a car killing you than a bear. Logically there is no need to worry. I never quite got used to not being at the top of the food chain. :-)

On crazyguyonabike there is an account of a bear encounter while camping.

https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/pag ... 81399&v=4B

2 Tornados, hurricanes, just watch the weather and anytime you have access check the forecast. If one is coming through get a motel. I had a couple of severe thunderstorms but the tent stood up to high winds and rain OK. The closest I got to a tornado was riding past numerous snapped telegraph poles in the midwest where a tornado/storm had hit the day before.
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

This is a long-term dream trip for us, so keeping my eyes open in here.

Most envious of those who've done it (read your CGOAB tales Iain, thank you for them), and those with plans in line.

Doing our sorta PCHish ride this year, I got myself anxious about bears in the night, and hardly slept the 1st night in a bear area camp. :roll: The only wildlife that pestered us during the night though was a raccoon a week or 2 later, when we found we'd sited where their favourite trail led out of the forest. Standing naked with a light I got a bit of a shock when those eyes sparkled back at me, before I realised they were far lower than a bear's would be!

Daytime though, I was a bit concerned about some dogs at times- they like angry ones as guards in some places we passed.