Your touring plans for 2019 - make me jealous?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Woodtourer

Re: Your touring plans for 2019 - make me jealous?

Post by Woodtourer »

So you use Cycle Travel!! That's great!!!!!!
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

Absolutely - a lot of the fine-tuning that's gone into the routing over the years has been a result of "I wouldn't go that way... why's it choosing that?". And frequently it's ended up suggesting better routes than the ones I'd taken beforehand!
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Richard Fairhurst wrote:I'm planning to ride halfway across France this summer, from Caen to a friend's house near Le Puy en Velay. (I was going to start at Saint Malo, but on the day I want to travel, Brittany Ferries are doing their exasperating "we won't sell you a bike space on this sailing because we'll get more money if we save it for a motorist" thing.) I'm dogfooding the route on cycle.travel but it'll probably be La Velo Francette (V43) from Caen to Saumur, cut across to Tours, take EuroVelo 3 south, then turn east via Limoges.

I'm also helping develop a new signposted medium-distance cycle route here in the Cotswolds, so there'll be a few research trips for that!

Sounds great Richard. Le Puy is one of my favourite cities mostly because those volcanic plugs make it so other worldly. There’s an amazing rail line that goes down to Ales if you have a spare day. On the route around Limoges it is somewhat lumpy as I expect cycle.travel has already let you know. I cut further along the Loire (starting from St Malo) before going down that way a second time and enjoyed the route more- for me though it’s about seeing as many different places as possible so I’m sure you’ll enjoy it either way. Aha- I see that cycle.travel doesn't automatically go down via Limoges so presumably you've chosen to go that way- enjoy.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Booked for first half of USA trip from mid April to end May. DC-Pittsburgh-Columbus-Indianapolis-St Louis-Kansas City-? Pueblo.

The question mark is because him indoors and junior are flying out to join me after a month and aren't interested in seeing the back end of Kansas- they will pick me up when they've done enough sightseeing (Chicago, midwest, Memphis, Nashville etc) and visiting various friends and we'll head down to see friends in Austin, Texas and we'll fly back from there. I hope junior will cycle some of the Flint Hills rail trail with me first.

Fingers crossed that cash and other things collide to enable me to go back to the USA in September and do 3 weeks from wherever I finish to about Salt Lake City. (final trip to Portland Oregon via Boise Idaho will hopefully be early next summer after teen does her GCSEs).

I think that following some posts here I'm inspired to go back to France and to do some of the central european routes when I've done my USA trip. We will see.
SeanieG

Post by SeanieG »

Sheffield to Devon over a week in early April. Mix of camping and a couple a family floors.
I have an opinion. It might not always be thoroughly thought through, but it's there.
Hobbs1951

Post by Hobbs1951 »

Touring Catalonia in May, starting and finishing at friend's house near San Sadurni...some interesting sights to see - many of them World Heritage Sites. Three in Tarragona alone -

Roman Aqueduct
Roman Ampitheatre
Miravet, the finest example of Romanesque military (Templar) architecture in the Western World.

Taking either my Roberts or Philbrook tourers: or will I bottle it and take my modern Trek ?

J.
Altissima

Post by Altissima »

We are planning a week or 8 day trip from Luxembourg City to Europort Rotterdam via the Vennbahn then cycling back via Maastricht and maybe Eindhoven and Zierikzee. To start, we will get an overnight ferry from Hull to Zeebrugge then train to Luxembourg City.