Your touring plans for 2019 - make me jealous?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
bikepacker

Re: Your plans for 2013 - make me jealous?

Post by bikepacker »

al_yrpal wrote:I'm jealous..
But, its the places, people, scenery and atmosphere that interest me not mileage or achievement, that's for others but not for me.

Al

I can assure you doing the milage is not my prime motivation that only came as a by product of a conversation with the late Neville Chanin. Just being able to get out on a bike either doing longer tours or riding my home lanes of Worcestershire, are more important.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

phil parker wrote:
LollyKat wrote:What is it called? An unnamed book by an unnamed author is a bit difficult to track down :?

It didn't stop Hondated tracking it down? :wink:

It's Mud, Sweat & Gears by Ellie Bennett! Land's End to John O'Groats via the pub!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mud-Sweat-Gears-Cycling-oGroats/dp/1849532206

Thank you.
dodger

Post by dodger »

cycletouringteacher wrote:
dodger wrote:All this is making my feet itch. But the choices are endless and all the tours mentioned sound good.
Been planning to follow the Pilgrim Trail to Santiago in N Spain for several years - think this is the year. Setting off from Cornwall in May, probably, to cycle/camp through France, over the Pyrenees at St Jean Pied de Port and across Northern Spain to Santiago and then, finally, Finisterra.
Back to Santander by train and from there, Plymouth and home.
About 1000miles. I'm always tempted to put it in kilometres; 1650 Km sounds somewhat more impressive somehow!

Hi Dodger - interested in your route. I'm currently planning a 2014 ride from Dumfries to Morocco and plan to cross the Pyrenees in the north. Is there any reason for you crossing at St Jean rather than on the coast? Also, does anyone have any experience of campsites in Tangiers?
dodger

Post by dodger »

I tend to start with a general direction in mind then wander off if I feel like it. However, I am likely to ride from Roscoff to Morlaix by the back roads, then Morlaix to Carhais by the cycle route, Carhais to Redon along the canal (at least some of the way). Bypass Nantes at St Nazaire and wander along to cross the Gironde North of Bordeaux. Through the pine forests and across land to St Jean.
The St Jean crossing is because it's the traditional crossing of the Via Frances Pilgrim route to Santiago. I've also read that the closer you get to the coast, the more unpleasant the route can be regarding traffic.
The St Jean to Roncesvalle route is hard work and the weather can be foul, but that's part of the challenge!
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

It's Mud, Sweat & Gears by Ellie Bennett! Land's End to John O'Groats via the pub!

I enjoyed this too and it almost tempted me into the world of real ale! :D
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
takeonafrica

Post by takeonafrica »

pedalsheep wrote:

I enjoyed this too and it almost tempted me into the world of real ale! :D

Not sure if it's a good idea for me to read it... I don't need any more encouragement to drink or cycle - And from previous experience, beer and bikes are not best combined!

2013 is starting off with a chilly tour in northern Scandinavia end January. And then off for another big ride - still unsure of the route but can safely say it'll include north/central Asia.
http://www.helenstakeon.com
Books: Desert Snow and A Siberian Winter's Tale
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

Removed
Last edited by cycle tramp on 1 Mar 2024, 6:56pm, edited 1 time in total.
EllieMay968

Post by EllieMay968 »

phil parker wrote:
hondated wrote:Great comment on Ellies book Phil and its a book I had missed so I have just ordered it.

I wouldn't want to embarrass Ellie with unwanted attention or a false sense of praise (as she is also a forumite!), but I would recommend the book to anyone, cyclists and non-cyclists alike, it reminds me of when I first read a Bill Bryson book, over 20 years ago, that contained a mixture of fact and humour in an easy flowing prose...and of course so different from how I do my cycle tours, so I don't have to compare anything, just smile :D

Well done for ordering a copy - you'll definitely enjoy it!

Thank you Phil, that is very kind. Mick likes your comparison with Bill Bryson (and I am very flattered!) - so much so that he has taken to calling me Billyboy... :D
Richard Barrett

Post by Richard Barrett »

Now there is a ferry between Ballycastle in Northern Ireland and Campbeltown at the foot of Kintyre I was thinking about an Irish Sea loop starting at Stranraer and finishing the days off with whisky or whiskey depending where I was.
EllieMay968

Post by EllieMay968 »

Richard Barrett wrote:Now there is a ferry between Ballycastle in Northern Ireland and Campbeltown at the foot of Kintyre I was thinking about an Irish Sea loop starting at Stranraer and finishing the days off with whisky or whiskey depending where I was.

Be sure to call in Morton's at Ballycastle for fish and chips then. Superb.
heist182

Post by heist182 »

Starting in Instanbul in March and cycling east across Asia to New Zealand all the while working on my photography and seeking out big mountains and remote roads to ride. It's my first long distance tour and I'm feeling a little overwhelmed at the moment!

http://www.cycling-east.com/
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

cycle tramp wrote:This year i will probably double space my potato plants (2 foot between each plant, and 4 foot between rows) to reduce blight.

I recommend Sarpo Mira: not the tastiest spud to be sure, but not bad at all and almost totally blight-proof.
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

binka wrote:I'm planning on doing my first ever tour. Just a short one, from my house just north of lincoln to Boston and then back home. There is an off road riverside cycle way nearly the whole way. It'll be about 80 miles and I'm going to do it in three days. Mainly because the only campsite I can find is halfway. If I did it in two days I'd have to do 60 miles one day and 20 the next. As it is ill do 20 miles, 40 miles and then 20, which seemed better.

If that goes ok I fancy the north Norfolk cycle way from kings Lynn to Great Yarmouth.

Hi Binka, that sounds great! I did several short tours around Lincolnshire a few years ago when I was looking for work and couldn't get away too far. An undiscovered part of England for me, despite being in Nottingham. Plenty of nice campsites in the county, and as you'll know, it's not all flat and it's certainly not boring! I got very attached to Lincolnshire Plum Bread too.
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

Last year was 30 years since my first cycle tour and 10 years since I spent 6 months travelling round Europe so I was really up for a celebratory tour somewhere abroad. However circumstances prevailed and I only got away for a rather curious tour of Yorkshire and County Durham.
This year I've another anniversary - 50 years on this planet - and I intend to actually celebrate this one. I've already pencilled in 2 weeks for a holiday in July and will either take the European Bike Express to France (bit hot!) or try something completely different and take my Brompton on the Eurostar to do The Netherlands. Tent and all!
Plus all sorts of short tours here in GB. Basically I've remembered that quote that nobody lies on their deathbed wishing they'd spent more time at work, and I've realised that I need to get my act together, ignore the trepidation and just set off!
Probably won't record my distances though...
― Peter Golkin
binka

Post by binka »

Slowroad said;

I got very attached to Lincolnshire Plum Bread too.

I've lived here all my life and never tried it! :D
Specialized Tricross
Ice Sprint