Scotrail bargain berths

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
carol42134

Scotrail bargain berths

Post by carol42134 »

Has any one managed to find where the scotrail bargain berths web page has disappeared to ? If so how do ou see what's available ? Thanks carol
phil parker

Re: Scotrail bargain berths

Post by phil parker »

Click

Just from a Google search, seems quite explanatory - is this what you were looking for?
PH

Post by PH »

phil parker wrote:Click

Just from a Google search, seems quite explanatory - is this what you were looking for?

I don't think that's it. I was looking earlier, there used to be a grid view where you could see what was available for a month at a time. I hope it comes back.
andymiller

Post by andymiller »

It looks like they've gone to using the same software that's used by East Coast (and some other rail companies). So I doubt that the old system will ever be back. So hunting for the cheapest tickets will mean tediously searching day by day. IME the £19 tickets sell out almost as soon as they are released (90 days or so from the departure date) and Edinburgh sells out before Glasgow,

The good news though is that you can book a bike place online.

When you say a grid view are you sure you're not thinking of Eurostar?
Italy Cycling Guide - a resource for cycle touring in Italy.
Will

Post by Will »

andymiller wrote:It looks like they've gone to using the same software that's used by East Coast (and some other rail companies). So I doubt that the old system will ever be back. So hunting for the cheapest tickets will mean tediously searching day by day. IME the £19 tickets sell out almost as soon as they are released (90 days or so from the departure date) and Edinburgh sells out before Glasgow,

The good news though is that you can book a bike place online.

When you say a grid view are you sure you're not thinking of Eurostar?

I think you have to use the ScotRail website to book the Caledonian Sleeper. If you try to book the sleeper on the East Coast website, it tells you to go to the ScotRail website. The ScotRail website doesn't have the facility to book a bike space.

The ScotRail website used to have a page that had a table for the month and it showed the cheapest sleeper price for each day. It was really slow to refresh on the day that it was updated (usually Friday around 9:30)

Will
pau1ine

Post by pau1ine »

I'm sure they still had the grid view in November when I last looked.

It looks as though the bargains are too popular. However on the positive side, a tried a few options for march at it does show that Advance singles (sleeper fare) are now available and aren't much more expensive (e.g start at £66) . I though that it used to be a lot more for a non-bargain.
andymiller

Post by andymiller »

pau1ine wrote:I'm sure they still had the grid view in November when I last looked.

It looks as though the bargains are too popular. However on the positive side, a tried a few options for march at it does show that Advance singles (sleeper fare) are now available and aren't much more expensive (e.g start at £66) . I though that it used to be a lot more for a non-bargain.

The Bargain Berths are still on the system - but irritatingly you have to scroll down through the daytime services until the sleeper services appear - and the Bargain Berths (if they are sill available) then appear. There were £29 tickets available when I looked at a random date in March - although this was for a Glasgow train.
Italy Cycling Guide - a resource for cycle touring in Italy.
series3safari

Post by series3safari »

Re booking a bike on a train, I have found that phoning Scotrail on this number tends to put you through to some really helpful people who take bike bookings over the phone. 0845 601 5929

Clive
ChrisButch

Post by ChrisButch »

Bargain berths definitely still exist, with their own webpage which you can get to from the Caledonian Sleeper home page or direct at

http://www.scotrail.co.uk/content/caled ... erths.html
irc

Post by irc »

ChrisButch wrote:Bargain berths definitely still exist, with their own webpage which you can get to from the Caledonian Sleeper home page or direct at

http://www.scotrail.co.uk/content/caled ... erths.html

Yes but the link for buying tickets goes to a generic Scotrail booking page. There is no longer the month at a glance availability page. Unless I just can't find it?