Camping , Brittany in March

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Len

Camping , Brittany in March

Post by Len »

I know a lot of French campsites don't open until fairly late in the season but has anyone any experience of camping in Brittany at the end of March? I am hoping to attend a festival then which also means I will be transporting an Octave Mandolin (about the size of a small guitar for those who don't know). Any suggestions on how to carry it would also be appreciated and yes I would love a trailer but I can't afford one.
Thanks for any input
vernon

Re: Camping , Brittany in March

Post by vernon »

Spending some time using Google might be more productive than hoping that on the off chance that someone posting here might have chosen to cycle camp in March in Brittany when there's much warmer weather to be had a few months later.

Because so few sites are open so early in the year you might well find that the nearest site to the festival is a considerable distance away.

I'd also have a look historic weather data for Brittany and consider how you are going to keep your instrument dry and yourself warm.

Here's a link to the data http://www.myweather2.com/Holiday-Desti ... px?month=3
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I often turn up at the bi-annual festive at Paimpol - the organisers can usually be relied on to advise on camp-sites. http://www.paimpol-festival.fr/index_eng.php#null Try contacting the folks who're organising the one you're going to. They'll have thought about offering accom. and if there's no obvious municipal or commercial site open nearby, I bet they've made arrangements with a local farmer.
It seems to me that a significant proportion of French sites are open only at peak months, but there are a some that do stay open longer - whereabouts in Brittany is this festival?
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
BeeKeeper

Post by BeeKeeper »

Assuming you can't bungy it onto the top of your rear rack a rucksack might be the easiest thing to use to carry your instrument. Whilst carrying a backpack is generally frowned upon in UK cycling circles the weight of the pack will not be very great so it won't unbalance you. A black bin liner would be a wise thing to keep it dry, even if you have it in a case as damp is likely to be a problem camping at that time of year.
Len

Post by Len »

The festival is in Brandivy and accommodation that end isn't a problem. My concern was finding somewhere to stop off on the way there and back (yes, I am a wimp and intend to break the journey).
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Ah-Ha, I get it know. :-) No need to make excuses for your plan to break your journey - it's yours and you can do with it as you please! If I were doing this journey, I'd probably check the map for the suitable stopping point and google 'chambres d'hote'... daylight's in short measure in March and it might be rubbish weather too, and 1 night (or 2, assuming you do the same thing on the way back!) in a modest b&b shouldn't cost too much. That way you can look forward to a soft dry bed, under which you can put the mandolin, for safety's sake ;-) and even a modest spot of what the French like to think of as breakfast before you set off...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
bretonbikes

Post by bretonbikes »

"by Len » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:39 am

The festival is in Brandivy and accommodation that end isn't a problem. My concern was finding somewhere to stop off on the way there and back (yes, I am a wimp and intend to break the journey)."

Brandivy is a fair way from the ports so I can see the need for a stop. Sadly, though I know a pretty much all the campsites through our business I don't know of a single campsite open inland at that time. You can sometimes blag a local mayor to open up the municipal site if it shares facilities with the football team (not unusual) but to be honest you'll be better off looking for a B&B. If you let me know your planned route, and about where you'll want to stop I'll be able to pass on details of a nearby B&B that we use - they are all lovely and you'd be looking at say 40 Euro - we also (forobvious reasons) only use B&B's which offer evening meals and these can be hard to find, but essential for cyclists.
38 years of cycletouring, 33 years of running cycling holidays, 8 years of running a campsite for cyclists - there's a pattern here...
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

I have stayed at a municipal campsite near there, in PAIMPONT, in early April. They maybe open in March, not sure. But it is on your route and it was open in April 'cause I stayed there myself at that time (€5 per night bike and tent)

Rode from there to St Malo in a day (65.03 miles in 5 hrs according to log )

Good luck.
Len

Post by Len »

Thanks for all the input. I should have mentioned that I would use the Roscoff ferry.
I like the idea of B&B, I shall review my finances.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Len wrote:I will be transporting an Octave Mandolin.

When I was in school, I carried instruments on my back on the bike, but I don't think I want to do that for any distance. I think if I had to carry an instrument like that long distance, I would make or modify a pannier bag to hold it, and carry it in a hard case, plus a couple of layers of plastic bag (bin liners?).
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom