Sutton Coldfield to Oxford

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
rbragg

Sutton Coldfield to Oxford

Post by rbragg »

Please can anyone recommend a route from Sutton Coldfield to Oxford city centre?

Many thanks,

//Roger.
Basil W Bloke

Post by Basil W Bloke »

Well, I've done this on numerous occasions, usually when riding from B'ham to Reading.
The obvious choice is the A34 (some parts of which are re-named A3400)
Stratford - Shipston - Woodstock etc. It's not an unpleasant road at all.

In fact, that is so obvious, I suppose that you are looking for some other route, perhaps taking more than a day?

There's always NCR 5. But it would take you about a week.
We are normal and we want our freedom
We are normal and we dig Bert Weedon
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

You might have to wait until the floods die down!
Mick F. Cornwall
Crazydave

Post by Crazydave »

Don't use the A34. It is a motorway in all but name. It is the main link from the South Coast to the Midlands, is grade seperated with a 70 limit throughout. If you have aroad atlas, plot a route using small A roads and B roads. Also, try to get out of the West Midlands area as soon as you can. I don't like cycling in big cities.
Basil W Bloke

Post by Basil W Bloke »

Crazydave wrote:Don't use the A34. It is a motorway in all but name. .

Interesting. Would you like to enlighten us as to which parts of the A34 between Birmingham and Oxford are motorway in all but name?
Please don't bother telling me about the Oxford Bypass or ring road, because when I cycle to Oxford I obviously don't need to use that.
We are normal and we want our freedom
We are normal and we dig Bert Weedon
Crazydave

Post by Crazydave »

I was thinking of Winchester to the M40. The length of that is a grade seperated dual carriageway. After that, it multiplexes with the M40, then M42, and doesn't come out again until just South of Solihull. The original has been renamed A3400, and goes through Stratford-upon-Avon. It doesn't look too bad on the map, but I could be mistaken as I've never cycled it before. Most 2 digit A roads I've found were built fairly wide and straight.
montmorency

Post by montmorency »

Basil W Bloke wrote:
Crazydave wrote:Don't use the A34. It is a motorway in all but name. .

Interesting. Would you like to enlighten us as to which parts of the A34 between Birmingham and Oxford are motorway in all but name?
Please don't bother telling me about the Oxford Bypass or ring road, because when I cycle to Oxford I obviously don't need to use that.

I think he means the bit between the Oxford Ring Road and the M40. Like a 2-lane motorway, true, and not pleasant (not necessarily as dangerous as might be thought, in broad daylight anyway, but not first choice).

The former A34 to Stratford was renamed (or renumbered) to A3400. (not sure if it all was, or just part, and I can't quite remember what happens north of Stratford now, but I can imagine it should now be ok to cycle on between Oxford and Stratford.

If coming south on the A3400 (**) into Oxford, at some point you will have to encounter the ring-road. You will have to try to cross this, probably using the pseudo cycle paths by the side of the ring road and making use of gaps in the traffic. Try to get over the roundabout (or two) and aim for the Woodstock Road (roughly south-east of Wolvercote).

Sorry, don't have an up to date atlas to hand, and I am not sure if I can pinpoint it accurately on google maps, but once you get on to Woodstock Road, you're home and dry (bad metaphor these days, sorry). Nice, pleasant road, with cycle lanes (not that it matters), which will take you right into the centre of town. You will end up near the Martyr's Memorial and the Randolph hotel (going past the Ashmoleum on your right).

(**)Sorry, looking at google maps (searching on A3400), I se that it's only A3400 between Stratford and Chipping Norton, then it becomes the A44, but it's basically the "old A34", except that nearer Oxford, they have modernised and "improved" all the junctions, to make it faster to drive through...

I think if you initially head for Wolvercote, but then look for Woodstock Road (probably signposted Oxford City centre)- you don't really want Wolvercote itself - you should be ok.

If you end up in Banbury Road instead of Woodstock Road, that's equally good. They run almost parallel, and take you right into the centre.

(There are loos available at Gloucester Green bus station, should you need them; there are others; those are the most reliably open; I say nothing for their cleanliness...).

Bon voyage,
M.
rbragg

Post by rbragg »

Thanks everyone - I'm grateful for your help.

The journey is planned for September this year - to attend a friends 50th birthday party. Hopefully I will have lost the excess weight and be a little fitter by then.

//
Si

Post by Si »

I'm probably a bit late here, but I'd not venture into Brum to get the A34, or what ever route you choose. I'd inclined to go out of Sutton though Castle Brom, Curdworth, Hams Hall, Neither Whitaker, Maxstoke, Meriden and then down towards Stratford from that direction. Much nicer ride and ought to cut the corner off of going through Brum (assuming Oxford is still where I think it is).
rbragg

Post by rbragg »

Excellent - thanks!