Need a St Malo (ish) hotel...

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
stewartpratt

Need a St Malo (ish) hotel...

Post by stewartpratt »

Any recommendations for - er - accommodating accommodation in St Malo? (Or even just near St Malo, eg St Benoit-des-Ondes.)

I need somewhere that half a dozen of us can turn up to early (eg middayish) for an afternoon kip before a single-night stay, as we'll be arriving at the end of a 24hr+ ride. Other criteria are secondary to that.

I intend to just email places and ask, but there are lots of hotels in and around town so it would be good to know any that might be more likely to give a positive response.

Thanks.
Mattie

Re: Need a St Malo (ish) hotel...

Post by Mattie »

Hotel de L'Europe in St Malo, between the train station and the walled city. Cheap and nothing remarkable but according my log the room smelled of cheap air freshener, and had to pay EUR 5 to garage the bike.

This might be one that you may not want to stay at. :)

If you are feeling flush then there is the Hotel Balmoral. A new modern hotel (Best Western), underground car park. Built on the site of the old train station. I use this one out of season on my motorbike, when campsites are closed. Tops.

Anyway, some help I hope. Good luck.

Edit:
By the way, in case you do not already know, the Tour de France is going through St Malo this year - I believe on 09 July 2013. So I expect hotels will be booked up around then.
stewartpratt

Post by stewartpratt »

Thanks. And no, I hadn't spotted the TdF went through - fortunately we'll be missing that by a week or so; would have made the planning a bit interesting if I'd had to weave a 500km route around the Tour :)
phil parker

Post by phil parker »

I've stayed at the Youth Hostel near Cancale Click, which has secure storage for bicycles and has lots of twin rooms etc. It's about 30 mins or so cycle ride from from St Malo.
stevelr51

Post by stevelr51 »

+ 1 for the hostel, easy to find , cheap and clean, includes breakfast also !!! .
Bernard

Post by Bernard »

Hotel de la Porte Saint Pierre
http://www.hotel-portestpierre.com/?lang=en
old hotel in the city ; very good place to visit the town, good food, we were there last Easter, just before a ctc tour in Jesey, good welcome, a place to park the bikes. Bernard.
In cyclo veritas