New German law re cycle paths

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Audax67

New German law re cycle paths

Post by Audax67 »

Polizist.jpg
Polizist.jpg (10.12 KiB) Viewed 1223 times

"Halt, oder ich scheiße!!!"

Just heard that in Germany it's now obligatory to take cycle paths if they're provided, on pain of coughing up 35 € to the gent in the green shirt.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
ronyrash

Re: New German law re cycle paths

Post by ronyrash »

[near my tho, warm dry vietnam]
some one will always put their foot in it.the roads need less regulation not more.here its like a dance 1000nds of motor cycles it all works on movement.stop and all the traffic is affected.evryone giving it their very best,they have to.its the only way to get thru.and it is magnificent.super efficient.[as human beings are given the chance.]yes there are many accidents but this is due to the nature of the motor vehicle and untll the glorious day when they are superceeded by the bicycle.the horror of road accidents[?]will continue.
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

Same in Holland: if there is a bike path/lane, you have to use it.
Willem
binsted

Post by binsted »

willem jongman wrote:Same in Holland: if there is a bike path/lane, you have to use it.
Willem

No doubt they are better quality than UK
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

It is not a blanket requirement. Cycle paths in Germany can only be made obligatory if they meet minimum standards.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
keithg

Post by keithg »

willem jongman wrote:Same in Holland: if there is a bike path/lane, you have to use it.
Willem

I have a horrible feeling that we may go the same way in the UK, the issue is if all bike lanes were adequate (and direct or shortcuts), it would be a more reasonable requirement, they are not tho' and there's the rub!
We have an "excellent" bypass of a narrow busy road which goes way off to the side, down a hill and back up again, fine if you like the scenic route but a useless distraction on my daily commute.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Vorpal wrote:It is not a blanket requirement. Cycle paths in Germany can only be made obligatory if they meet minimun standards.

Yes, but formerly it didn't cost anything to ignore a circular blue road-sign, it just meant that if a motorist ran into you they weren't held responsible. Now you can be fined for disobedience just for ignoring the sign.

In France we have obligatory and optional cycle paths. The standards for making them obligatory seem to be remarkably low; the basis for doing so is more the convenience of the motorist rather than the life of the cyclist.

BTW, on our cycle paths there is a blanket speed limit of 20 kph. Is that the case in Germany?
edwin

Post by edwin »

Audax67 wrote:BTW, on our cycle paths there is a blanket speed limit of 20 kph. Is that the case in Germany?

Not an easy question...
  • The 50km/h default speed limit for cars in built-up areas does not apply to cyclists. It is only for motor traffic.
  • If there is a speed limit sign, e.g. 30km/h, it does apply to cyclists. On the cycle lane and on the road.
  • I know a cycle-only street in Heidelberg that has a sign for 15km/h. Police is checking this eventually with laser pistols. The chances of getting a ticket are very high.
So much for the theory... If you cycle at 30km/h and ride over a child, you will be held liable for speeding, no matter if there is a sign or not.

regs

Edwin
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

When did this change come in?
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Audax67 wrote:
Vorpal wrote:It is not a blanket requirement. Cycle paths in Germany can only be made obligatory if they meet minimun standards.

Yes, but formerly it didn't cost anything to ignore a circular blue road-sign, it just meant that if a motorist ran into you they weren't held responsible. Now you can be fined for disobedience just for ignoring the sign.

Where is this information?

My understanding is that in Germany, a cycle path must be:
in good condition
useable (i.e. not blocked, covered in debris, etc.)
along a street

Otherwise, it may not be safe for a cyclists to use, or the path may not be going where the cyclist wishes to go.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Vorpal wrote:
Audax67 wrote:

Where is this information?

Try here. They've got the whole butcher's bill. I note, though, that my earlier info was wrong: it was already illegal, they've just upped the prices.

My understanding is that in Germany, a cycle path must be:
in good condition
useable (i.e. not blocked, covered in debris, etc.)
along a street

Otherwise, it may not be safe for a cyclists to use, or the path may not be going where the cyclist wishes to go.

Obviously, if you can justify not using the cycle lane/path/whatever the peeler might let you off: OTOH he might make you get off and push.
meic

Post by meic »

My German isnt very good but looking through that link, all I could see was an increase in the amount of the fines for existing offences.
Yma o Hyd
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

meic wrote:My German isnt very good but looking through that link, all I could see was an increase in the amount of the fines for existing offences.

What I said above: my earlier info was wrong.

I learnt to drive in Germany quite a long time ago, and was taught that cyclists couldn't be compelled to use a cycle path but if they were hit as a result it was their own look out. This has obviously been superseded. Another member of our county cycling committee was over the border a week ago and brought back the info as I originally stated it. I didn't think to check.

In France, and also I believe in Germany, a round blue sign means "obligatory cycle track". Ditto in Belgium. I have been on some damnably crappy ones in all three countries.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Further to the above: according to my source, the fines weren't applied until recently - you'd get a warning at worst. Now, apparently, they've been ordered to get out there and bring in the shekels.

And last November a friend of mine was zapped by a police radar/lidar/whatever on a cycle track in France, for exceeding the speed limit.