When I flew with my bike this is what happened......

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
foxyrider

Re: When I flew with my bike this is what happened......

Post by foxyrider »

ubert767 wrote:As Vorpal said, they are cheaply available. I know them as "Chinese Laundry Bags, they are not very robust so I use them for two panniers each and secure around the girth with a yard or so of strong nylon 1/4" dia rope. Mine have survived several aiport baggage handler encounters so far.

Rob

Not very robust? Really? I've had two, the first had a handle rip off but only because I reinforced things with a luggage strap through the handles - which was then used instead of the handles by airport staff! Lesson learnt.

The second is going strong some eight years after purchase - it takes a set of panniers plus cycling shoes, bottles, pump etc with a bit of spare space. I chose a fancy pattern for mine to make it easier to identify on the carousel - the standard red or blue plaid patterns are so common, particularly with eastern European travellers!

An extra use while away has been as a porch sheet in the tent and as a dry seat - not bad for @ £5!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Re the laundry bags- they look good We use rucksack covers/bags for our panniers for the same reasons- gets everything that's off the bikes into one bag.. Cheap and pack down small.
Woodtourer

Post by Woodtourer »

[quote][/quote
MrsHJ,
Might you have a pic of the bags you use??
Thanks!
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Woodtourer wrote:
[/quote
MrsHJ,
Might you have a pic of the bags you use??
Thanks!

I have 2 versions. Both take two large panniers plus assorted crud off the bike eg pump, bottles, helmet. Yet another thing I hold against my ortlieb classics is that they aren't as good a fit as my old bags. Pretty sure the ortliebs are up for replacement but the bag is ok.

1 is a rucksack cover bag I picked up in millets. A bit like this (mine is in the garage but I can get a picture tomorrow). https://www.amazon.co.uk/Backpack-Locke ... BD5AM&th=1

The other is an ultralight pack-a-bag you thing I think I got off Amazon (currently lost- I suspect him indoors jettisoned it to lighten weight somewhere in France). Obviously the main trick is to get maximum volume.

A bit like this but I'm convinced my old one was half the size and weight (of course!). https://www.amazon.co.uk/Skypak-90L-Fol ... B000MUVDHM

NB my travel companions usually just parcel tape two panniers together. I haven't flown with them recently so I don't know if this still works.

I will be flying Bristol to Geneva with easy jet and Beziers to Bristol with (blech, no other options Ryan air) late summer I think.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Re strapping 2 panniers together. Flying in Japan recently, I went to 100 yen shop and got some baggage straps. Used them to make 2 panniers into one.

People keep talking about putting all their 'other stuff' into these stripey bags. I hope these items aren't loose. A rip in the bag could have your accessories littering the baggage system. Keep them secure in another bag. Even when using a bike box, I always use cable lock to secure loose saddle and the other stuff eg pedals are in strong plastic bag tied to the frame.
Woodtourer

Post by Woodtourer »

How about wrapping the pack/bag in shrink wrap? Wondering if it would present a problem with the security folks?
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Woodtourer wrote:How about wrapping the pack/bag in shrink wrap? Wondering if it would present a problem with the security folks?
Wrapping inplastic is a viable alternative. Some airports have shops that wrapp luggage for people. It's more like Saran wrap (cling film) than shrink wrap, but it's the same idea.

The only thing is, if they decide to search your luggage, they will just cut it off, and put it all in a bag or something (different airports take different approaches to the problem), so make sure that everything is closed, dangling things tied or taped, and secured before you have it wrapped.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Having your bike wrapped in film is quite pricey for what it is. Probably at least a fiver, if not more.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

simonhill wrote:Having your bike wrapped in film is quite pricey for what it is. Probably at least a fiver, if not more.

I think he just meant his panniers, to turn two bags into one for checking in.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Woodtourer

Post by Woodtourer »

Had reason to be at the airport today and stopped by the Iceland Air counter. No problem bagging the bike. In fact the agent said that just a few days ago someone rolled their bike up with no bag or box and they took it!
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Vorpal wrote:
simonhill wrote:Having your bike wrapped in film is quite pricey for what it is. Probably at least a fiver, if not more.

Sorry, I meant bags. Edited that post to make it clearer and somehow put in bike. I have asked at Bangkok airport about doing the bike and they said they wouldn't do it. The wrapping process is usually done with your bag on a little turntable so no problem for doubled up panniers.

Re cost, a fiver was a bit optimistic. Just did a search https://www.bagwrap.com/en/prices and found cheapest is £12:50. Makes a bit of blagged polythene and some packing tape a bargain.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

simonhill wrote:
Vorpal wrote:

Sorry, I meant bags. Edited that post to make it clearer and somehow put in bike. I have asked at Bangkok airport about doing the bike and they said they wouldn't do it. The wrapping process is usually done with your bag on a little turntable so no problem for doubled up panniers.

Re cost, a fiver was a bit optimistic. Just did a search https://www.bagwrap.com/en/prices and found cheapest is £12:50. Makes a bit of blagged polythene and some packing tape a bargain.

Or just buy a roll of cling film and do it yourself. Have even bought it locally with some bubblewrap and tape for the return.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

AirAsia offers wrapping as an acceptable means of packing for a bike. I couldn't find a box in Saigon, so bought a few rolls of clingfilm and wrapped the bike. Not easy, not very resilient, but it got me on the plane.

NB Wrapping is a heavier grade than domestic clingfilm. You can buy it but it comes in large rolls, enough for a few years.
Colgrenfell

Post by Colgrenfell »

Flew Easyjet LGW to Montpellier and back.. sort of..

Two bikes both wrapped in new Wiggle CTC plastic bags, plenty of pipe lagging and Bopworx derailleur guards.
After checking in and boarding; we wait on the plane, and then without warning due to ATC strike in Marseille, flight cancelled; we disembark.. and get to see just how much care the Gatwick baggage handlers take - the answer being not much.. ON a round trip from check-in to plane to baggage collection both CTC bags ripped to shreds, and both derailleur guards snapped..
IMG_1801.jpg
IMG_1801.jpg (69.43 KiB) Viewed 288 times

I think the problem is that baggage handlers frequently don't return bikes on the oversize luggage route, and simply send it on the normal luggage conveyor belts where the damage occurs..as bikes jostle with suitcases and sharp bends on the luggage belt.

After an enforced break of a couple of days whilst waiting for new flight out I decided I'm done with plastic bags... a very helpful guy in the Gatwick Evans Cycles gave us a couple of cardboard boxes for the outbound flight.. returning from Montpellier picked up cardboard boxes from LBS near Montpellier airport - Culture Velo.

Both flights damage free.. was boring to have to remove rear rack, front mudguard, bars from stem (and cable tied to top tube), and reassemble on arrival but have decided that on future flights this is the way forward..manufacturers use cardboard boxes to transport new bikes to LBS for good reason.. strong and cheap!
MartinBrice

Post by MartinBrice »

Is it not the case that bike makers use boxes because the bikes can be reduced in size while in transit. There is hardly any protection in a cardboard box; it's insisted upon by the air carriers to protect luggage from oil and grease. What you're doing is protecting the bike frame from superficial damage: removing the derailleur takes a few minutes and is IMO the only safe way to protect it. Cable tie it to the inside of the rear stays.
I allow an hour to dismantle the bike although it takes about half that, and when you've done this a few times it becomes easier.