Show your touring bikes !!!!

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
geocycle

Re: Show your touring bikes !!!!

Post by geocycle »

jonnystv wrote:My Thorn Nomad on the last day, 6th December, of my Edinburgh to Kenya tour in 2011.

At the time this was probably one of the newest stretches of road in Africa (Merille south to Isiolo). Earlier in the day I passed the workers painting the lines!

In the background is Ol Lolokwe, a mountain sacred in Maasai & Samburu culture as it always has lush grass on the top for grazing cattle.

The photo was taken pretty much here: https://maps.google.com/?q=0.810862,+37.553085

Been there and know the road. Problem with nice stretches of Tarmac is that the shock is greater when you get swallowed by the next pothole! Driving in Kenya is... Challenging!
vernon

Post by vernon »

Here's my Woodrup Cycles' Chimera.

It has subsequently acquired lowrider pannier racks at the front and a bar bag.

Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

The Thorn on the Great Glen

The Gekko in Chepstow on the Celtic Trail

The Street Machine on the Trans-Pennnine

mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

What an interesting selection, Cunobelin. I feel for you in the last pic- did the 4x4 wait, or take glee in giving you a wash?

And Vernon- nice Chimera! Of course, it's got flat bars and a belt drive, so must be a hybrid... :lol:

Or a chimera Chimera!

Not a mongrel, definately. Nice colour too.
Domestique

Post by Domestique »

Here are our two outside Albert Hiejn's, Hoek v Holland last year.

gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

My On One Inbred based tourer...
bob simpson

Post by bob simpson »

My Thorn Sterling.

foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Last year i travelled light so my rebuilt Chameleon looks quite svelte for my 1500km Thuringen / Bavaria Tour. :D

First look is outside the huge model railway at Weihe/Thuringen
P7232200.jpg

Two weeks later i ended up at Pfaffenwiesbach on the Limes route in Hessen
P8033677.jpg

The same beasty is quite adaptable as you can see from this time trial start at Burg/Spreewald just after Easter 2012 :lol:
PTDC0030.jpg

If i'm camping theres usually a low rider with these small bags on the front and a pair of hefty back rollers on the back as i did on the largely off tarmac Luneberg Heide tour in 2006. :D
P7270069.jpg
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Koga Miyata World Traveller - the climb out of Trieste

welshwoodsman

Post by welshwoodsman »

My Surly disc trucker,Glasfynydd forest,Brecon Beacons,Wales.
surly (480x320).jpg
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

My tourer was very modern when I got it in 1989 - biopace gears, special frame geometry so I could have adult-sized wheels at last (had been touring on a 5-speed 18 1/2" frame Raleigh Winner for 7 years!) Thought I'd replace it a few years ago but I couldn't find a bike I liked at a price I could muster in a frame size small enough so eventually I found a bike shop which would refit it. Some compromises required but the brakes work way better than the old cantilevers ever did.
It's a good road bike, it's ok on dry level off-road tracks, but it can't really cope with very stony tracks and mud - so the Transpennine near Conisborough and NCN1 through parts of Durham on this trip were a bit slow!
Attachments
1989 Raleigh Touriste still going strong.
1989 Raleigh Touriste still going strong.
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Cunobelin wrote:The Street Machine on the Trans-Pennnine

Good to see so many 'bents here. They really deserve an audition for touring purposes, unless you like a choice between catching the wind as much as possible or leaning on your wrists for 50 miles while your veiw defaults to tarmac just in front of you...

And Cunobelin's shot here shows another advantage, which is you need a seriously deep puddle to get the bottom bracket underwater! :wink:

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
crazyferret

Post by crazyferret »

Here is my Condor Heritage and my friends classic Claude Butler Dalesman just before setting off this summer around Europe.

P1000106.jpg

Here they are a week later shortly after reaching the top of The Col Du Tourmalet.

P1010585.jpg
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

My Saracen Skyline on the CTC.
My Raleigh Royal On the Canal Du Midi
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

pjclinch wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:The Street Machine on the Trans-Pennnine

Good to see so many 'bents here. They really deserve an audition for touring purposes, unless you like a choice between catching the wind as much as possible or leaning on your wrists for 50 miles while your veiw defaults to tarmac just in front of you...

And Cunobelin's shot here shows another advantage, which is you need a seriously deep puddle to get the bottom bracket underwater! :wink:

Pete.

And IMHO the Transpennine IS the place for seriously deep puddles!
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin