Touring in Montenegro

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
welshman1978

Touring in Montenegro

Postby welshman1978 » 26 Feb 2013, 7:07pm

Hi, I have 10 days touring planned in August. Any advice about wild camping, road quality etc?

DanTe

Re: Touring in Montenegro

Postby DanTe » 3 Mar 2013, 10:11pm

Montenegro is an absolutely stunning country. The whole thing bar the costal strip and a big lake is one great wild untamed mountain.
I've not biked there unfortunately but spent 3 weeks there a few years ago.
If you plan to leave the coast (I would) you maybe need to get some pretty decent miles climbing in before you get the plain out!
You'll be climbing nearly all the time with a lot of fast sharp descents.
The roads are generally ok but I found them a little bit hairy in a car as one minute you're flying along then without warning you hit a short stretch of loose gravel. Not what you want at 60!
Will be easier to spot on two wheels though.
Apart from the odd small village the interior is pretty barren with very little on offer in the way of food shops etc.
Good job you're set up for wild camping as there might not be much choice.
I think you'll be fine W'Camping but I'd keep out of the way a bit. I'm sure there'll be days where you barely see a soul let alone the middle of the night..
I would also do a bit of reading up on the fascinating but brutal history of the area as it could stop you from making a iffy gaff if talking to locals. I'm still not sure what the general Serbian viewpoint is towards the UK?
Bear in mind also that the signs, text etc on the costal strip are in Latin but only a handful of miles inland you're straight into Cyrillic, which takes some figuring out.
You'll have a great time. I'm itching to get back...

francobaresi

Postby francobaresi » 6 Mar 2013, 1:10pm

Hi, I did a bit of touring in Montenegro a couple of years ago, it was lush. We flew out to Podgorica and then cycled to the Coast via the Bay of Kotor, which is jaw- droppingly beautiful. We stayed in a B&B/ apartment type place, it was about 10 Euros each, but we bartered the guy right down. I'm pretty sure you'd be ok wild- camping, but in the Bay of Kotor we paid a woman 3 euro to pitch up in her garden, it was kind of a campsite. Again, barter furiously!
As has been mentioned, there's a lot of climbing to be had, we climbed hard from Podgorica to Kotor. But it is incredibly scenic, well worth the energy! :D

smith4188

Postby smith4188 » 8 Mar 2013, 1:06pm

In six months of cycling last year, the best single day of the entire ride was in Montenegro. I'd stayed in Niksic and was heading to Foca in Bosnia on the E782/M18. The route goes through the Piva gorge, which is amazing, especially as it was a hot day and the opposite side of the valley had dozens of little fires kicking off - very surreal. Traffic was light even in August. Two things to note though: Along the road before the gorge there's a farm with an open door policy regarding its animals. I met a bull (and it was definitely a bull, not a cow) standing in the road. He probably won't be there when you are. But what will be there are dozens of unlit tunnels on the gorge road. Most are not very long - the longest from memory was probably 200-300 metres and most are a lot less than this - but they are seriously dark. My lights were totally inadequate, which made for some dodgy moments when a car also came through the tunnel at the same time. I would just stop and shine my rubbish lights towards the car, but this wasn't easy because in most of the tunnels there is also a small ditch at the side of the road and without enough light it's easy to stumble into it. That said, with decent lights, you'd be fine. It's certainly worth it for the views. If you want to cycle down the gorge rather than up it you'd need to go in the same direction as me - south to north.
Attachments
bike_and_burning.jpg
The Piva gorge
http://www.UniCycle50.com - Country-by-country touring info for 50 European nations
http://www.RideAndSeek2015.com - Cycling across Europe on £1 a day

DanTe

Postby DanTe » 9 Mar 2013, 11:10am

Great picture that!
Just to back up again the general sentiment, scenery wise I could not recommended anywhere in Europe more highly. The Balkans are absolutely stunning and incredibly interesting.
I'm going to hopefully do a full on tour of Eastern Europe in the Autumn and will defo be back in Montenegro!
If you've got a spare month invest in a copy of
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_La ... rey_Falcon

DaveFY7

Postby DaveFY7 » 16 Mar 2013, 11:26pm

The southern side of Lake Skadar is a fantastic stretch of single track road. Lovely views from the mountainside and very picturesque.

It is covered in my trip blog. The Tara Gorge is also well worth a visit.

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page/?o=1&page_id=170359&v=As