Monmouth & Brecon Canal - south of the Dardy, Crickhowell

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
seventeezlad

Monmouth & Brecon Canal - south of the Dardy, Crickhowell

Post by seventeezlad »

Hello all,

I'm planning on riding with my son (aged 12) from his home in the Dardy to mine in Hindhead, Surrey.

I'd like to keep the route as quiet/scenic as possible, and wonder if any regulars can cast opinion on the condition of the canal from the Dardy to say 'Penperlleni' to the south of Abergavenny? Or if you don't think that's a goer, a quiet / pleasant alternative. We'll be heading for Chepstow and don't want to increase mileage to much if we can help it.

Thanks in advance,

Seventeezlad
Richard Fairhurst

Re: Monmouth & Brecon Canal - south of the Dardy, Crickhowel

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

Does this help?
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

Last summer we rode the section between Govilan (just south of Abergavenny) to Goytr wharf.
I believe Penperlleni is just a bit further on.
The towpath was fine and is suitable and used by cyclists.
It varies a bit from wide, flat hardcore to a few narrow bumpier grassy bits.
Given your total distance, I take it you won't be in too much of a hurry, so it should be suitable.

fausto
seventeezlad

Post by seventeezlad »

Hi Richard,

I'd found the spread sheet, but knowing spread sheets and the fact it was written in 11/2009 it's a little dated. Thanks for the though though.

Fausto, thanks very much for this, decision made I think! You're right, we'll not be going at any real pace, probably 30 or so miles a day although we'll see how we feel as each day progresses.

Cheers folks!
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

Just a thought: the canal's nice but I'd also consider peeling off at Abergavenny and heading west on NCN 46. The route through the Clydach Gorge is stunning - one of the nicest rides I've ever done.

(If you were feeling adventurous, you could continue on NCN 46 to the top of Tredegar; head north through the lunar landscape of Trefil; drop down to the valley on the bridleway through the plantation; then drift downhill on the lovely quiet valley road to Llangynidr; rejoin the canal there for your journey back to the start point.)
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
seventeezlad

Post by seventeezlad »

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the tips, the gorge sounds good, I'll do some googling! : )

Cheers for now

Seventeezlad
raybo

Post by raybo »

I don't know if this will help you but I rode from Newport to Abergavenny on the canal trail back in April, 2011. It was a nice, paved path all the way to Blaenavon. From there, I was on the usual shoulderless road up and over the hill where Foxhunter (the horse) is buried. I don't know the name of the place as I was only there once and the Foxhunter sign was the only one I saw.

I liked the trail, though it was uphill the whole way from Newport and some of the bits were short but steep. Going up the hills past Blaenavon was a bit of a grind. It was an enjoyable day spend in the saddle, though. I got a bit lost in Cwmbran.

I wrote a journal entry for that day's ride, which includes several photos of the path and the views. Note that the day started with a ride to the Reading train station to Newport for the ride's start.
Visit my on-line bike touring archive at www.biketouringtips.com