Western Isles/ west coast of Scotland routes

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Hummers

Western Isles/ west coast of Scotland routes

Post by Hummers »

On behalf of a friend, does anyone know of a cycle route that takes in the western islands?

Cheers

H
Your Brewery Needs YOU!
Crazydave

Post by Crazydave »

I don't know a specific route, but I've heard the roads there are pretty quiet. They must be as they link only small villages which are miles apart. I am riding from Cape Wrath to Dover in September and will be doing a lot of the West Coast. I would recommend as a rout depending on how much time you have, chose from starting at Durness and going down the coast through Ullapool then Kyle of Lochalsh hugging the coast. Go up to Uig and back, trying a different route each way to see Skye. Then get the ferry from Armadale to Mallaig. From there you can make your way down to Strontain and Lochaline then tour round Mull for a bit, get the ferry to Oban, then head for the Mull of Kintyre Peninsula. From there, you can get a ferry to Arran, then onto Dunoon. From Dunoon, go down to Stranraer, then follow the coast through to Carlisel. There are a lot of interesting border towns along there. I don't know the whole area well, but study maps as a hobby and have done a lot of research into my own upcoming ride.
Ron

Post by Ron »

Which islands do you want to visit?
There are no "official" cycle routes, just consult the ferry timetable and make up our own route. :)
http://www.calmac.co.uk/
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

www.cyclehebrides.com

There are also a lot of ood books out there. I enjoyed Stuart Craig's two books "Away with the Ferries" and "Full cycle"
treejamie

Post by treejamie »

I did Mallaig, up the east coast of Skye to Kyle of Lochalsh, up round Loch carron then onto Applecross, then over to Torridon up through Gairloch, Poolewe to Ullapool then over to Stornaway and down the hebrides taking in callanish. Very nice and i can recommend teh campsites in Applecross and the one in Stornaway past the hospital... Both very good and very friendly. £6 and £7 a night respectivly.

Jamie
Hummers

Post by Hummers »

Thanks for the suggestions.

Google has been helpful too.

H
Your Brewery Needs YOU!
cjenn

Post by cjenn »

TreeJamie included Loch Carron to Applecross. just wondering if he went over Bealach na Ba (Pass of the Cattle). if so, then you should check the contours before doing likewise !

Edited by Graham : Corrected naming . . . . and yes Treejamie did use the Bealach.