Bottom Bracket tool

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
nobby

Bottom Bracket tool

Post by nobby »

Is there any need to carry a bottom bracket spanner when touring in the British Isles?
It is rather big and I'm not sure what to do with it anyway!
All advice welcome.
Cheers
georgew

Post by georgew »

I wouldn't have thought so, not in the UK. If you have the cartridge type then it would be sufficient to carry only the BB tool and you can then borrow an adjustable spanner from a garage to use this.
If you have a cup and cone BB then the tool required need not be large or heavy. All modern bikes have cartridge type BBs.
nobby

Post by nobby »

georgew wrote:I wouldn't have thought so, not in the UK. If you have the cartridge type then it would be sufficient to carry only the BB tool and you can then borrow an adjustable spanner from a garage to use this.
If you have a cup and cone BB then the tool required need not be large or heavy. All modern bikes have cartridge type BBs.

Thanks Georgew
That's what I was hoping someone would say :0)

It is a Shimano XT hollow looking thingy and the tool I have is large, shaped to go around the 'nut' and has an allen key on the other end, which is replicated in my multi tool, and has a shaped insert piece. Can they come loose? Do they ever come loose, or is it the sort of thing that pre tour maintenance should sort?
PW

Post by PW »

They come loose once a decade. Check it thoroughly before you go & forget it unless the tour's an epic to Australia.
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!
nobby

Post by nobby »

PW wrote:They come loose once a decade. Check it thoroughly before you go & forget it unless the tour's an epic to Australia.

Thanks