cycle poland

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
slattery

cycle poland

Postby slattery » 26 Apr 2013, 4:37pm

I am looking to cycle for a couple of weeks in Poland next year.I am hoping to camp most of the time with the odd b&b if the weather is bad wondering what is the best time of year to go also
a rough idea of prices so that I can taylor my budget accordingly .

Penfold
Location: Black Country in the heart of England (Gods country)

Re: cycle poland

Postby Penfold » 26 Apr 2013, 6:32pm

Have a look see at this website for all things Polski.

http://www.explore-poland.pl/Geography/Climate.html
I keep my ideals, because in spite of everything,
I still believe that people are really good at heart.
- Anne Frank

There is a forgotten, nay almost forbidden word, which means more to me than any other. That word is England.
- Winston Churchill

eileithyia

Postby eileithyia » 26 Apr 2013, 7:03pm

Anything I can tell you will be 15 years out of date, but we had a great time, campsites were cheap... some looked horrendous when you first saw their charging scales cos they charge for everything; tent, + 3 people etc etc, then you added it all up and it was still only a few pence....

People friendly, lots of food in shops, we went across the border into Slovakia and had to get money exchange once across the border...
Tatras and Zakopane is a great area.... we often wild camped though sometimes not easy to find a place as many of the properties fronted the road then their strip of land on either side and extending from the road was their farm land, immediately bordered the next house/farm along the road.. if that makes sense.. though we did suceed.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells

gordy

Postby gordy » 27 Apr 2013, 6:16am

download/file.php?id=18688&mode=view

I rode a thousand miles across Poland at Easter in 2012. It was freezing, with a howling Baltic wind - I even stopped in Gdansk for three days to let the snow melt. I had intended to head further East to see the bison, but turned south in an attempt to find warmer(ha!) weather.

However, it was a good trip and I'm going back this summer to do more. Although I took a tent, I used hotels every night as the prices ranged from £25 to £7. The £7 one was awful, but all the others were fine. I had been to Polish classes and learned enough to ask for a bed, or bread or whatever, but had to resort to a photo on my phone of a gas cylinder for my stove to be able to ask for that, though. Food in the shops was, I think, about half the UK price.

People were friendly - helpful in shops and approachable on the streets if I was lost. The country was fascinating. Cars are driven much faster than in the UK. I intend to camp this summer and have sent away for the camping map (see http://www.pfcc.eu/ang/main.php?nazwa=start )

My 2012 Poland trip stretched my comfort zone, the 2013 version will do the same, I hope.

EwaHolender

Postby EwaHolender » 29 Apr 2013, 5:01am

We've been riding 1000km across Poland each summer for the last three years, and are doing it again this year. We go in June / July and have had some gorgeous weeks (beautiful sun, perfect riding temps) but also a few days pouring rain! July tends to be much better than June I would say, but go prepared for a mix of weather whenever you go.

Costs wise, you can get decent accommodation for about £10 - £20 (including breakfast and dinner), but you can also get cheap hostels for around £3 - £5 if you look around. Food is pretty cheap (about £5 for a good dinner). It all depends where you go - the more countryside and rural you go, the cheaper it tends to be, whereas places like Krakow are more expensive generally.

If you have any other questions e.g. routes, let me know as I'd be really happy to help if I can. Email me at info@alinafoundation.org or have a look at the info about our ride in case that sparks any ideas viewtopic.php?f=23&t=75296 - there's a couple of spaces left on this year's ride if you fancy joining us ;-)

Enjoy your trip - it's a beautiful country with lots to see, and some of the most kind and hospitable people I have ever encountered! (Although I must confess that I am biased as I lived there for ten years!)

Ewa

slattery

Postby slattery » 29 Apr 2013, 4:53pm

Thankyou for all the good advice guys :D