Wind & Rain

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
pjclinch

Re: Wind & Rain

Post by pjclinch »

BeeKeeper wrote:The unhelpful answer would be to suggest not to go camping this early in the year on the west coast of Scotland

You could potentially say that about any time of year on the west coast of Scotland, thobut... :(

There are times when the weather is going to be relentlessly awful and kill an outdoor holiday, it's part of the territory. Some people thrive on adversity but some of us prefer to say to hell with it, make our peace with the weather gods and retreat until another day. You can tell yourself you've paid ££s to come up there and you'll damn well soldier on, or you can tell yourself it'll cost you even more ££s if you stay and why make it cost more as well as make you wet and cold?

It'll be down to why you went and what you're hoping to get out of it. If it's the exhilaration of the open road camping among nature's bounty, and you're not feeling exhilarated and you're resenting nature for being cold and wet right now, then you're not going to get what you went there for. At which point my wife and I would be thinking about our options and coming up with Plan B. But there's plenty of folk who'll get a buzz from battling on, and they should battle on.

Decide which works best for you: you don't have to carry through your original plan, nobody is vetting your route except you. Do whatever will maximise your enjoyment (or at least minimise your discomfort!).
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

Its not just the UK. I got soaked if France last year and the year before. I've decided in my old age that I just don't do misery. There is nothing worse IMO than wet clothes and wet tents. These days [and yes I know not everybody can afford it] I head for a B&B or hotel. Or at least a roof. I overnighted in an abandoned building last year.
I'll also jump on a train to find somewhere more pleasant. No guilt. I don't see the point of sticking it out come what may.
Image[/URL][/img]
Starfire

Post by Starfire »

I was due to start a 10 day camping tour of Arran, Kintyre, Islay and Jura on 6th May, I had been checking the forecast for the area every day leading right up to departure day. The forecast was too grim for me so I decided to stay at home instead as I'm not too keen these days on being wet through for days on end.
When the weather gets too bad I try and get B&B or hotel accomodation but I find it is very difficult to get booked in somewhere when you are a male travelling solo. I've been turned away from many places that looked far from full, most can't be bothered if you just want to stay for one night only. I'm a member of the SYHA but I'm not too keen on sharing dormitories with people I don't know, I've never had a decent nights sleep in a hostel yet.
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

Hi Starfire,
pity you didn't go we would have been sharing the headwinds!

Interesting comment on the problem of getting accommodation as a single male. Must admit I've not had any issues with hotels despite turning up soaking wet to many, maybe they felt sorry for me! Did have an issue last year with a couple of camp sites that had a "family friendly" policy and so refused to take single males. Anyone else had any issues?

Andy
Ray

Post by Ray »

bigjim wrote:I've decided in my old age that I just don't do misery. There is nothing worse IMO than wet clothes and wet tents. . . . . No guilt. I don't see the point of sticking it out come what may.

Quite right. The wisdom of experience.

Ray
Ray
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt - Bertrand Russell
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

You don't have to be old to not want to go out in the rain ;)
Starfire

Post by Starfire »

[quote="gloomyandy"]Hi Starfire,
pity you didn't go we would have been sharing the headwinds!

Hi Gloomyandy,
I regret not going now as I feel that I have wasted a leave period. Sounds like the conditions you encountered were not very good to say the least! My next leave period is July so I will try and do the trip then.
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

Hi Starfire,
it was a very tricky thing. I sat in my car a long time looking at the rain and listening to the wind before setting off. I'm still not sure if I would have been better off cancelling and oing something else for the week. The week wasn't really bad, but it could have been so much better. Oh well that's how it goes I suppose.
Tigger

Post by Tigger »

gloomyandy wrote:Hi Tigger,
the things I didn't like about the SYHA hostels (and I guess some of the folks in them) I stayed in...

Thank you Andy, your comments are interesting. I noticed just in the last couple of days the seed of an idea germinating in my little brain... but you will have to wait until after my holitour for more information :wink:
Tigger

Post by Tigger »

gloomyandy wrote:Hi Starfire,
it was a very tricky thing. I sat in my car a long time looking at the rain and listening to the wind before setting off. I'm still not sure if I would have been better off cancelling and oing something else for the week. The week wasn't really bad, but it could have been so much better. Oh well that's how it goes I suppose.

Oh boy, Andy, I'd hate to have been in your shoes :shock: I guess taking public transport (for me; train, sleeper, train, ferry) doesn't put you in quite the same position!
Starfire

Post by Starfire »

I really hope we don't get another summer like we did last year. I went to Dorset in the first week of July last year and had to come home after a few days due to extensive flooding with all of the rain. Tigger, i hope you get some lovely weather for you trip.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

bigjim wrote:There is nothing worse IMO than wet clothes and wet tents.

Nothing?

Sounds like you've been treated remarkably well by the world, in that case!
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

I think one of the worst things in life is to put the cold damp cycle clothes back on 'cos they did not dry overnight, knowing you have no choice cos, anything you put on that day will be wet within minutes of starting out on the bike..... then all you will have is 2 sets of wet cycling kit.....

and yes I have had all sorts of other sh*te thrown at me...... including thinking I would be homeless or at least would have to live permanently in my tent due to various reasons...
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

eileithyia wrote:I think one of the worst things in life is to put the cold damp cycle clothes back on 'cos they did not dry overnight

That's what finally put me off camping - never again!
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

Nothing?

Sounds like you've been treated remarkably well by the world, in that case!

You know what I mean Mr Pedantic.
Hard times? I and many others could write a book. How about being a cancer survivor for a start?
Go pick on somebody else.