5/6 day tour into northern Europe from London

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
will851

5/6 day tour into northern Europe from London

Post by will851 »

Hi all

Just wondering if anyone had any tips for a 5/6 day tour into northern Europe from London.

Last year a friend and I did:
London -> Dunkirk -> Bruges -> Antwerp -> Rotterdam -> Amsterdam, back to London via trains & Eurostar which worked out pretty perfectly in terms of distance each day (approx 60 miles if I remember correctly) and each place had its charms (Rotterdam excluded).

I'm looking for somewhere fun to wind up at the end. I'm trying to avoid flying anywhere due to the faff involved, however driving somewhere to start in Europe and dumping my car somewhere is an option.

Any ideas?
andymiller

Re: 5/6 day tour into northern Europe from London

Post by andymiller »

Ferry to Britanny or Normandy? All the main ferry terminals are easily accessible by train from London (OK Plymouth is more of a hike).
Italy Cycling Guide - a resource for cycle touring in Italy.
sbesley

Post by sbesley »

How about getting the train from London to Harwich, the ferry to Hook of Holland, then a 5 or 6 day tour basically heading south, ending up in Paris. Finally Eurostar back to London.

Won't need your car.

I am planning a longer variation starting at Harwich for my tour this summer. Harwich to Esjberg ferry, cycle to Berlin (10 days), then the train back to Amsterdam, cycle back to Hook of Holland, ferry to Harwich.

Stephen.
bg

Post by bg »

Hi

I am just planning my 5 day trip in France but have done the Pas de Calais area before.

So as I live near the channel tunnel going to pop on tunnel drive about 100 miles South West. Then just drop the car and do a circuit from there.
Distance per day dependant on weather mainly.
Big T

Post by Big T »

Normandy Coast and the D-day landing beaches? Ferry to Cherbourg and return from Caen or Le Havre depending on time.

Or Le Havre to Calais?
My JOGLE blog:
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
twitter: @bikingtrev