A Cycle Through France

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Sweep

Re: A Cycle Through France

Post by Sweep »

Swallow wrote:Have a look at Mountain Warehouse for base layers

I've not used their base layers so can't comment on them but have bought some of their longish pants similar to Endura Humvees but lighter. Very good, comfortable, squash-pack very well.

Bank20 20 per cent discount code still seems to be working at the moment.

Or until 31 July, SS13CAT3 gets you 15 per cent off online stuff.

If you have a shop nearby you can do collect-in-store and save postage.
Sweep
ericet74

Post by ericet74 »

We're flying to Marseille on 17 July and cycling home to Suffolk.
ossie

Post by ossie »

bretonbikes wrote:
ossie wrote:
Benjo78 wrote:Thank you everyone for your comments - much appreciated!

As this is my first tour I think I will try to keep the climbs to a minimum. I had thought of getting a sat nav but looks a bit expensive. Paper maps it is. Might just rely on Google Maps on my iphone if I get lost!

On a clothing note can anyone recommend a place for getting base layers and merino tops which won't break the bank?

Also: just discovered warm showers.org - has anyone used this at all?

Thanks!

Benjie

ok fella you know best, where do you intend charging your iphone that you are going to rely on ? France is an odd place where nothing appears to be open most of the time.But dont let me spoil it for you :wink:

It's about where Britain was in the '60's (even half-day closing in some places) and all the better for it...
You can charge stuff at any campsite.

Any site ? Ive stayed at numerous municipals that dont have charging / electrical facilities. Hot water sometimes (but not all of the time) but many zero in the way of charging stuff / power. I think if you are going to rely on something as power mad as an iphone you need to think very carefully about a charging method.
BE1

Post by BE1 »

Benjo78 wrote:Thank you everyone for your comments - much appreciated!

On a clothing note can anyone recommend a place for getting base layers and merino tops which won't break the bank?

Benjie

If you have a TK Maxx near you have a look on their knitwear rails. I've picked up a few lightweigh merino tops which have proved useful on the bike (and look okay off it as well).
Ank@eel

Post by Ank@eel »

The Michelin route finder has a bicycle option selecting back roads and green routes where available, download and print your route in daily sections.

http://www.viamichelin.co.uk/web/Routes