hand pump for touring

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
henrik

hand pump for touring

Postby henrik » 28 May 2013, 7:25pm

whats the king of hand pumps for touring?
i need to get one

mercurykev

Re: hand pump for touring

Postby mercurykev » 28 May 2013, 7:47pm

Zefal HPX, you can't beat it.

meic

Postby meic » 28 May 2013, 7:49pm

Are you sure? :)

Does it have a guage? :wink:
Yma o Hyd

stephenjubb

Postby stephenjubb » 28 May 2013, 8:25pm

andymiller

Postby andymiller » 28 May 2013, 8:32pm

henrik wrote:whats the king of hand pumps for touring?
i need to get one

It depends a bit on what you want? High volume for bigger tyres or high pressure? Can you live without a gauge? Separate head (ie like a foot pump?). How important is weight?

For my money the Topeak Mountain Morph was my go-to pump even though it was heavy - but I've now opted for an Axiom Enforce (at least that's what it seems to be called) - similar setup but a bit svelter.

bikes4two

Postby bikes4two » 28 May 2013, 10:41pm

stephenjubb wrote:topeak road morph and has a gauge

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/topeak-road-mor ... tAodDjgAHQ

+1
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey

Erudin

Postby Erudin » 29 May 2013, 9:31am

Got a Zefal HPX Classic Frame Fit Pump size 1 on my Audax bike, and a Topeak Master Blaster Road Frame Pump large size on my Surly LHT. No gauge or separate head but they both pump tyres up quickly and to 100+ psi easily.
Image Attachments
Topeak Master Blaster Road Frame Pump.jpg
Zefal HPX Classic Frame Fit Pump.jpg

simonhill

Postby simonhill » 29 May 2013, 10:38am

You don't say what tyres or valves, but i will tell you what I do.

I have Schraeder (car type) and just take a cheapie Halfords pump to get me out of trouble and rely on tyre repair places, etc for high pressure pump ups (I tour mainly in Asia where these are free or a few pennies).

pjclinch

Postby pjclinch » 29 May 2013, 1:02pm

I've got whatever the Bontrager equivalent of the Road Morph is (quick Google... Mini Charger). I'm very happy with it, it does both main flavours of valve (with a bit of faffing), very compact and gets tyres up to high pressure fast. With a decent length of hose built in and an option of just using hands or a steadying foot and body-weight I find it much easier in use than my old Zefal frame pump.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...

Snowflake

Postby Snowflake » 29 May 2013, 1:58pm

stephenjubb wrote:topeak road morph and has a gauge

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/topeak-road-mor ... tAodDjgAHQ

+1 for this one.......I have used it anger many times, and its great..........

S

foxyrider

Postby foxyrider » 29 May 2013, 2:32pm

I take along an SKS Sub40 - small, light (it actually weighs 39grams) and gets the air in to a good pressure. I don't need a pressure gauge but i do need something small enough to slip in a pocket when i leave the bike!
sUB40.jpg
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!

andrewjoseph

Postby andrewjoseph » 29 May 2013, 4:14pm

for touring i take the lezyne hp micro floor drive. this is a high pressure pump with gauge. i also take the co2 system for quick inflation in bad weather.

since breaking my arm, i can't pump up my road tyres by 'hand', as it were. the floor drive allows me to use both hands and my bodyweight to force the air in.

i just take the lezyne co2 kit and a few extra cartridges on day rides.
--
Burls Ti Tourer for tarmac
Saracen aluminium full suss for trails.

Vaya

Postby Vaya » 29 May 2013, 4:29pm

Would recommend the lezyne mirco pump. Small, fits both types of valves and is good quality.

The other reason that I got it was that it uses a rubber hose to connect the pump to the valve, this means you can move the pump around to find a comfy way to pump. Other pumps that I tried have attcahed directly to the valve and I have damaged the valve by accident when I twisted the pump.

ANTONISH

Postby ANTONISH » 29 May 2013, 4:53pm

Definitely the Zefal Hpx. Had mine borrowed numerous times by people whose "toy pumps" weren't up to it.
Didn't have pressure gauges when I was a lad. All by thumb. "Board hard" for a road race (had to pass the bike checkers own thumb test) - slighly less so if not. I always check my tyres before going out for a ride.
Most tyres allow a range of pressures - you get a feel for the tyre being too soft or too hard- the only one I've felt the need to use a pressure gauge for is the marathon plus.

andrew_s

Postby andrew_s » 29 May 2013, 5:29pm

+1 for an HPx or a Road Master Blaster, which are more or less equivalent.
No need for a gauge most of the time - just count 100 pump strokes and it will be at a good pressure.

The thing with pumps is that big ones are always better than small ones, provided that the quality isn't too much lower.
That applies even within a single pump model, so a size 4 HPx is better than a size 2 HPx.
A good micro pump may get up to a decent pressure in the end, but it will take a long time.