hand pump for touring

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Bike-Rich

Re: hand pump for touring

Post by Bike-Rich »

Very nice, thanks.

That would indeed make a perfect pump for pannier use, only thing it is missing is a gauge.
I like the use of the hose, I have schreder valves but still prefer this feature.
stephenjubb

Post by stephenjubb »

Bike-Rich wrote:Very nice, thanks.

That would indeed make a perfect pump for pannier use, only thing it is missing is a gauge.
I like the use of the hose, I have schreder valves but still prefer this feature.

Topeak Road Morph, same pump but with gauge.
soton

Post by soton »

The usual three questions apply:
1. how well does it do what you want?
2. what are it's disadvantages?
3. Emma Chisit?
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

a mini "track" pump that has a hose and that can use the ground as a firm base to push against - the worst type are those that attach direct to the valve.
Bike-Rich

Post by Bike-Rich »

Thanks for replies guys.

mercalia wrote: the worst type are those that attach direct to the valve.

Is that not how the zefal pump works though which seems very popular?
I agree, in fact i've snapped a few presta valves this way. The bike I will be touring on is a 26" so schrader valve and max pressure around 60 - do you think I am best to get a good quality hand-pump with connecing hose and hopefully built-in gauge?
mjr

Post by mjr »

Never mind presta - those pumps that connect directly can break Schrader valves too. Mini track pumps are cool.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
RonK

Post by RonK »

henrik wrote:whats the king of hand pumps for touring?

Undoubtedly it's the Lezyne Micro Floor Drive This the high pressure model - there is also a high volume version for fat-tyred bikes.
The theory is simple: a) cycling is inherently fun, and b) the less weight you carry, the more fun it is.

Tour Journals, Articles and Blog: Whispering Wheels
bikes4two

Post by bikes4two »

You might want to consider a cheap standard pump with connector - Zefal do a frame fitting variant for about £10 but no pressure gauge which for 60 psi is really not necessary IMHO, & at £10 you'll not shed too much of a tear if it gets stolen! (l'd be really upset to loose something like that Lezyne).
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey
PJ520

Post by PJ520 »

+several for Ropeak Road Morph. However I recommend that you take out the screw that holds the foot pedal on and put some red Loctite on it. I have had said screw fall out and lost the pedal. Fortunately I bought it from a place with a very generous return policy (REI in the US) and they replaced the whole pump.
You only live once, which is enough if you do it right. - Mae West
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

If you are breaking valves with a direct fit pump then your pumping technique is wrong.

thats not to say a floor type pump isn't good idea, my touring bike has biologic post pump. The pump is integral to the seat post pumps easily to around 80 psi, although it is claimed it could do 100 psi.
NUKe

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Reviving this thread because I've been wondering about Zefal HPX or Topeak Road Master Blaster. Specifically, does the Topeak need a pump peg each end to fit? I know the Zefal only needs one.
climo

Post by climo »

Zefal RG01 Profil Mini Mini Floor Pump, Inline Gauge, 10 bar/145 psi
Heavy but fantastic
slowster

Post by slowster »

Bmblbzzz wrote:Reviving this thread because I've been wondering about Zefal HPX or Topeak Road Master Blaster. Specifically, does the Topeak need a pump peg each end to fit? I know the Zefal only needs one.

The Road Master Blaster only needs a single pump peg on the head tube in order to be mounted on the underside of a horizontal top tube. Both ends of the pump have the dimple for the peg to fit in. The dimples are somewhat shallow, but have neverthless been adequate for the pump to be quite secure on my bike.
Des49

Post by Des49 »

Bmblbzzz wrote:Reviving this thread because I've been wondering about Zefal HPX or Topeak Road Master Blaster. Specifically, does the Topeak need a pump peg each end to fit? I know the Zefal only needs one.

I got a Zefal HPX not long ago, unfortunately it won't fit my frame peg, it seems quite a large diameter and the peg is too close to the top tube unfortunately. So I carry it along the seat tube, not a problem unless I need 2 bottle cages. The pump itself is so much better than the mini pumps, as long as it fits the frame!

Interestingly the instructions with it actually say not to use the pump under the top tube, seat tube only.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Neither "needs" a pump peg depending on where you fit the pump. On the seat tube (my general use preference) the pumps are frame fitting and if you buy the right size will fit between the seat lug and the bottom bracket. Along the top tube (something I have never done) I imagine the peg at the head tube end is necessary. Along a seat stay (my touring preference) a peg is needed at the upper end and a stop of some sort may be useful at the lower, or a small reshaping on the HPX to aid security.