hand pump for touring

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Bmblbzzz

Re: hand pump for touring

Postby Bmblbzzz » 10 May 2019, 2:39pm

Thanks for the answers. I'd be putting it under the top tube, as there's a peg there at the head tube end. I like to have a water bottle on the seat tube and there are no pegs on the seat stays. I kind of fancied the Topeak rather than the Zefal simply because it's silver, but then I read a review saying the Zefal is more comfortable to hold and pumps slightly more efficiently (though the review did seem to be a covert push for the Silca Impero, which at over £100 really ought to be bloody good!)

andrew_s

Postby andrew_s » 10 May 2019, 3:13pm

Fitting the Hpx and Road Master Blaster onto the bike frame is the same - you need either a pump peg or an acute angle (< 90°, preferably <80°) between frame tubes at each end.

Under the top tube, that would normally be a peg on the back of the head tube, just below the top tube, and the angle between the top and seat tubes. There should be a recess in the end of the pump for the peg to fit in.
A problem with some bikes is that the top tube is dropped enough that the top/seat tube angle is no longer acute. A velcro strap will usually resolve any tendency to come off.
If there's no peg, I have heard a tight zip tie suggested, on a bit of inner tube to prevent slip, and with the head block doing duty as the peg.

Bmblbzzz

Postby Bmblbzzz » 10 May 2019, 3:42pm

Thanks Andrew. Top tube on this bike is horizontal so should be okay. However... it's occurred to me having a pump under the top tube, or anything else there like a frame bag, must make it awkward to lift the bike over gates (when you get lost and find the byway actually turned back there... ), into trains, etc. I guess it's easy enough to remove the pump for these incidents though.

slowster

Postby slowster » 10 May 2019, 5:16pm

Bmblbzzz wrote:I kind of fancied the Topeak rather than the Zefal simply because it's silver, but then I read a review saying the Zefal is more comfortable to hold and pumps slightly more efficiently

I've got both and I think the differences between them in terms of function are fairly marginal, and in many respects I think it comes down to personal preference and even just whether you prefer a black or silver pump.

The main ergonomic advantage of the Zefal is the grip at the opposite end to the handle. The grip is essentially the same length and diameter as the handle. With the Topeak you instead have to grip the barrel, which has a fairly narrow diameter. However, I've never been bothered much by that because my hand is usually wrapped around the end of the pump with my thumb over the tyre if it's a narrow HP.

The other main advantage of the Zefal is that being black it doesn't look grubby after you've used it with dirty hands.

The main advantage of the Topeak IMO is that the corners and edges of the handle and lever are rounded and the head is a soft rubberised plastic. If you fitted the Zefal under a top tube, you would need to put the head end next to the head tube, otherwise the protruding lever would be likely to catch on your shorts/trousers.

Bmblbzzz

Postby Bmblbzzz » 10 May 2019, 5:33pm

slowster wrote:The other main advantage of the Zefal is that being black it doesn't look grubby after you've used it with dirty hands.

The main advantage of the Topeak IMO is that the corners and edges of the handle and lever are rounded and the head is a soft rubberised plastic. If you fitted the Zefal under a top tube, you would need to put the head end next to the head tube, otherwise the protruding lever would be likely to catch on your shorts/trousers.

Top tips! :D

slowster

Postby slowster » 10 May 2019, 6:04pm

Bmblbzzz wrote:
slowster wrote:If you fitted the Zefal under a top tube, you would need to put the head end next to the head tube, otherwise the protruding lever would be likely to catch on your shorts/trousers.

Top tips! :D

Actually, having just dug out my Zefal I've realised that it only has a dimple for a pump peg in the handle, unlike the Topeak. The head of the Zefal has two flat projections with a curve in their ends which mean that it will only fit into the actute angled junction of a seat tube/down tube (or possibly the junction of a seat stay and chain stay).

To mount the Zefal under a top tube, the head would have to be in the junction of the seat tube and top tube. I've just tried fitting mine in that position, and the lever protrudes about 10mm further out than the top tube (on a traditional narrow steel tubed bike). Like I said, I would be concerned that the lever would catch on my shorts in that position, but I guess that would depend on how muscular (or chubby) your thighs are.

Bmblbzzz

Postby Bmblbzzz » 10 May 2019, 8:01pm

It would also depend on whether you were wearing lycra or something looser. I'm lycraed up 90% of the time on this bike, but there are always exceptions. And the peg is on the head tube. OTOH I don't remember anyone mentioning this as a problem they've actually encountered. But maybe this makes the Topeak the one for me. Or maybe not...

Bmblbzzz

Postby Bmblbzzz » 10 May 2019, 8:16pm

Of course one point in favour of the Topeak is simply the opportunity to use its ridiculous name: "Puncture? No worry, my Road Masterblaster comes to the rescue!"