Carrying eggs

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
pjclinch

Re: Carrying eggs

Post by pjclinch »

Plastic egg box available from most camping stores. Never had a problem. Having a full sus' 'bent to tour on may be a factor in the never had a problem, but if you wrap the box in a fleece or similar (bag the box just in case) you'd have to try pretty hard to break any.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Why are you trying to re-invent the errrr egg box?

I have carried eggs on tour in the cardboard box that egg retailers supply (for free). If I only have, say, 2 eggs, then I cut the box accordingly. An elastic band will stop eggs falling out. Putting in a plastic bag stops any possible, but unlikely leakage. You can carry the box in any suitable part of your pannier - in amongst clothing if you want good shock protection.

Once used the box can be thrown away (re-cycled) till you next need eggs, unlike a bought re-usable egg box that you have to carry even when empty.
s2vmx

Post by s2vmx »

+1

The box they come in should suffice - perhaps wrapped in a plastic bag -JIC - Works for me. :)

Stu
andrewjoseph

Post by andrewjoseph »

i wish i'd read this before we started touring. we had to stop at a shop every day to buy food for our evening meal, sometimes we bought 6 eggs (in the box) and just put them in the panniers.

when we came to cook them in the evening, they were all still intact and and quite fresh :shock:

they were still fresh the next morning when we cooked and ate them and then threw away the box! :oops:

a few days later we did exactly the same thing (perhaps we're slow learners).

i feel we missed out on the excitement and drama of touring with bubbly bellies, soggy socks and hungry .... nights?

:wink: :wink: :wink:
--
Burls Ti Tourer for tarmac
Saracen aluminium full suss for trails.
BeeKeeper

Post by BeeKeeper »

Two egg carrier - but currently out of stock. http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/bushcraft/OC102.html
Mr. Viking

Post by Mr. Viking »

simonineaston wrote: now I'm wondering - is there a safe way to carry butter on a long distance tour? ;-)

How long distance? Haven't done it cycling, but I have carried butter for a week in a rucksack while hiking. I just kept it in a sealed plastic pot so it didn't get grease everywhere. Butter takes a while to go off so long as it isn't excessively hot
Sara667

Post by Sara667 »

Evening All!
I have one of the 6 egg plastic carriers- not used it on a bike yet- but worked fine on my canoe trip down the Danube last year- ok weight and space wasn't really the issue but in terms of egg security no problems what so ever!
just my 2p worth! :)