Something to cover the bike.

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
fossala

Something to cover the bike.

Post by fossala »

I'm going touring in September. If it's raining (guess it will be, it's the UK) I will need something to cover up my bike at night. Any ideas?
andrewjoseph

Re: Something to cover the bike.

Post by andrewjoseph »

I've got a piece of cheap tarp that covers two bikes, folds up to tabloid newspaper size and lives atop the rear rack and under the tent. two tent pegs or bungees to secure.
--
Burls Ti Tourer for tarmac
Saracen aluminium full suss for trails.
fossala

Post by fossala »

That was my idea, just thought I would ask if anyone had a better one.
meic

Post by meic »

A plastic bag for a leather saddle and a small bottle of chain lube for the chain.

The bike has to get wet all day anyway.
Yma o Hyd
jezer

Post by jezer »

If you have a Brooks saddle just put a plastic bag over it. If not, don't worry :)
Power to the pedals
gordy

Post by gordy »

meic wrote:A plastic bag for a leather saddle and a small bottle of chain lube for the chain.

The bike has to get wet all day anyway.

This. I'm perplexed by the idea that a bike should be covered. :?:
meic

Post by meic »

Oh, my bike goes undercover whenever it can, it lives indoors at home.

However I am not willing to carry a house around for it, I can understand the temptation but luggage space and weight has to rationed.
Yma o Hyd
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Pound shop bike cover
Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

When I have cycle camped, the bikes just stayed outside in the elements, plastic cover for the saddles and some lube for the chains, always helpful if they could be propped under some trees that might help provide some protection.. but as said; when ridden they will be wet anyway.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
vernon

Post by vernon »

I stuff a carrier bag between the rails under my Brooks saddle and use it to cover the seat overnight.

There's little point in covering the bike. It will get wet during the day when it rains and a well maintained and lubricated bike will shrug off water -that's what paint and oil does....

If you are totally paranoid about things going rusty, you could go for stainless steel fasteners and belt drive transmission.
gentlegreen

Post by gentlegreen »

I only cover my Brooks saddle ... I'm never without a bin bag in my rear basket - I figure I could cut holes in it for arms if the weather took a turn for the worse.
Dudley Manlove

Post by Dudley Manlove »

There's the security aspect I guess too - is a covered bike more likely, or less likely to attract unwanted attention? I don't know.

Tho if I had a 5 grand Ti custom framed Rolhoff jobbie I might want to a tarp to keep it out of sight.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Interesting that everyone assumes that poster will be camping. Perhaps the Hiltons and Holiday Inns are the problem? Without more info replying is pure speculation. Camping, wild camping, B&Bs, hotels??? all pose different problems.

Nonetheless, if camping and staying on organised campsites, I reckon that you can usually find a place under cover to leave your bike. There is a good chance that there will be a shed, etc where the owner stores his maintenance equipment. Of course this may not be what you want as it may be a distance away from your tent and create a security worry.

Look on the bright side, it may not rain and if it does, a plastic bag over the saddle and think of it as a free bike wash. Sorted.
meic

Post by meic »

Tho if I had a 5 grand Ti custom framed Rolhoff jobbie I might want to a tarp to keep it out of sight.

The major justifications for spending the big money on such toys include that the hub gear set up can stand a bit of dirt and water and that the titanium frame never rusts.

The weight savings of a titanium bike also come to nothing if you need a 1kg krypton and a small tarp to house it safely.
Yma o Hyd
andrewjoseph

Post by andrewjoseph »

i have a question for those who see no need to cover your bike when touring.

where does it live at home?

i cover our bikes when touring, sometimes there is cover near the tent and we use that, often there is not. i use a small cable lock that weighs next to nothing compared to 2 liters of water. the tarp weighs about the same. getting under the tarp to see what's there creates a fair bit of noise and i feel helps me with my mild paranoia.

yes the bike gets wet when riding in rain, but why not reduce the soaking as much as possible, keeping bar tape, shifters and gears dry is not detrimental to their operation and makes me feel better. :wink: :wink:
--
Burls Ti Tourer for tarmac
Saracen aluminium full suss for trails.