were do big cyclist buy waterproof trousers from

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
salsafargo

were do big cyclist buy waterproof trousers from

Post by salsafargo »

must of tried 4 pairs of waterproof cycling trousers on in a XXL size but they are way too small, i enjoy cycle touring but have to keep buying walking waterproofs that are no good for cycling just to keep dry on the road,does anyone else have this problem im a 42 waist 6 foot 3 tall
vernon

Re: were do big cyclist buy waterproof trousers from

Post by vernon »

In the summer wear shorts. There's less to get wet.

I've never bothered with waterproof trousers and use bib longs, bib shorts and conventional shorts.

I am a 4XL shrinking to a 3XL on the lycra front.

Prendas cyclismo stock large size in lycra.
Manalishi

Post by Manalishi »

I don't bother with them but I do use a cape and find it great. I have a Carradice Duxback which is waxed cotton. Slightly heavy but is very well made.
robgul

Post by robgul »

I'm slightly less in girth and slightly taller than you ... two solutions :

1 Rainlegs

2 I have a pair of golfer's waterproof (very lightweight nylon) overtrousers that have been cut down to make "calf-length shorts"

... both look ridiculous but do work - the overtrousers perhaps better than the Rainlegs in heavy rain.

The real answer is just get wet, grin and bear it (Lycra stuff doesn't soak up water and dries pretty quickly with body heat once the rain stops)

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
Vaya

Post by Vaya »

Your skin is water proof right?

As others have said, shorts that dry quickly, either lycra or the mtb high-wicking shorts (they are baggy). Much better than trying to cycle with waterproof trousers.
iviehoff

Post by iviehoff »

The most numerous category of cyclist are people wearing their every day clothes to use a bicycle as an incidental piece of transport as they go about their business, all year round. Many of the people who arrive at my local station on a bicycle each morning are wearing a business suit, I'm lucky that I can wear less formal clothing for work. For me and many such people, waterproof overtrousers are essential. So "plan on getting wet" is not a good enough answer. You wont' get people on bikes by telling them they have to change their nether garments or bare their legs.

I also find planning on getting wet isn't a good idea when I'm out for a day ride in cold weather, because it gives me knee pain.

However I don't know the answer to large sizes.
hufty

Post by hufty »

I also like to have dry legs sometimes for cycling. I guess at the end of the day it depends on how much you want to shell out, but Endura overtrousers are cut for cycling, and IMO value for money if pricey. They do an XXL (42-44") and if you look at the sizing guide on their website, it looks like they do custom sizes for a 15% surcharge.

Another suggestion, also from the top end of the market (and probably the way I'll go when my Enduras wear out) how about looking into ventile overtrousers? There are advantages and disadvantages to ventile, so you would want to do a bit of google-research first. They won't be cycle specific but you should be able to get a longer leg to compensate for bending your knees - Hilltrek for example do some enormous leg lengths.
Please do not use this post in Cycle magazine
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

Another vote for Endura from someone a bit taller but a bit narrower than you. My preference is Lycra and no over trousers but when I'm wearing normal trousers that need keeping dry, Enduras do the job. Never got on with rainlegs myself
salsafargo

Post by salsafargo »

thanks for the replies,i do like huftys answer though,getting wet is a problem for me when i go away for a few days,if your legs are warm and dry then you produce more power to get up hills.my last trip i got that wet i nearly got the train back home to get away from all the bad weather but i thought were is the fun in that,i tried endura on in a xxl and it nearly fit but was tight that i could of ripped them once i had sat on the saddle,ill email endura and see if they make a custom pair, i dont care how much they cost if there expensive but work then there cheap. :D