Cycles and Planes

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
simonhill

Re: Cycles and Planes

Post by simonhill »

The Ground Effect bag looks good, but at nearly £100 it is a lot more than a usually free cardboard box. It also requres quite a lot of bike dismantling compared to the c/b box, so that may also be a further consideration.

One thing to mention about the c/b box is beware rain. A good soaking will trash the box - I know, I was nearly caught in a tropical storm in Bangkok - fortunately missed it by minutes while waiting for (the now defunct) airport bus.
digga

Post by digga »

elduderino12 wrote:
Portland wrote:I'd take a look at this:

http://www.groundeffect.co.nz/product-d ... ar-bag.htm

You get it by post from New Zealand.

Maybe a bit expensive for what it is but it's excellent.

Requires extra packing (cardboard/bubble wrap/pipe lagging) but once you land you can chuck all this and pack the bag on the back of your bike (a large A4 book) to use again.

I've used it once - it's a tight fit to get the disaassembled bike in so allow time.

I second this. I've got one too and it's taken all the stress out of flying for me. It sits on my back rack and I hardly notice that it's there - I suspect it will pay for itself over time.

I third this. Packed and unpacked. Fit into a front pannier and meant I could leave from a different place I flew into. Even survived EasyJet (which I recommend btw).
Attachments
ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1371123038.009478.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1371122972.028052.jpg
ossie

Post by ossie »

A free bikebox does the job, bike shops bin them. Try and nab one of the plastic fork protectors for when you take the front wheel off and remember to protect your rear derailleur .
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

+1 to the fork protector - the tardis at one time used to come with one. Not sure if it still does.

If not I think they can usually be cadged from bike shops as they come with their delivered packed bikes.

Yes also to the derauilleur - detach and put within the rear triangle.
Sweep
Cachao

Post by Cachao »

Any opinions on sending the bikes on their own? £63 per bike (two) from Alta (northern Norway) to London with us on the planes seems like a lot of money.
MarkF

Post by MarkF »

Well it's more than low cost carriers charge, I pay £25 to £35 but, £63 to have your bike transported from Norway to London sounds a great deal to me. :)
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

MarkF - that is £63 for 2 bikes on thhe plane with them (if I've read it correctly) that makes it within your price band.

Cachaoi - there have been lots of discussions in the past about cheap ways of transporting bikes, but it usually works out cheapest to take it on plane with you. Most parcel/courier companies charge by linear measurement making bikes prohibitively expensive.
MarkF

Post by MarkF »

simonhill wrote:MarkF - that is £63 for 2 bikes on thhe plane with them (if I've read it correctly) that makes it within your price band.

Cachaoi - there have been lots of discussions in the past about cheap ways of transporting bikes, but it usually works out cheapest to take it on plane with you. Most parcel/courier companies charge by linear measurement making bikes prohibitively expensive.

Ok Simon, whenever I book my bike on a plane I feel like it's one of life's few great bargains. :D