Changing trains in UK, do i have to reserve bicycle twice?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Jemo27

Changing trains in UK, do i have to reserve bicycle twice?

Post by Jemo27 »

I looking at going from Euston (London) to Liverpool by train. The train I want has a change at Crewe from a Virgin train to London Midland, booked on the same ticket.

I know I have to ring up to reserve my bicycle space. Would I have to ring both Virgin and London midland?

Thanks Joel currently in Australia.
daddig

Re: Changing trains in UK, do i have to reserve bicycle twic

Post by daddig »

Go on East Coast Rail, book your tickets, reserve a seat and book your bike space, follow the instruction and pay. Both legs of your journey require bike booking, East Coast are the only ones I'm aware that allow the booking .
Mike G
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

The second leg from Crewe on LM does not require a booking. You can travel from Euston to Liverpool by LM either changing at Birmingham or Crewe and no cycle bookings are required for either of the services.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

daddig wrote:Go on East Coast Rail, book your tickets, reserve a seat and book your bike space, follow the instruction and pay. Both legs of your journey require bike booking, East Coast are the only ones I'm aware that allow the booking .

First Great Western now allow cycle reservations when you reserve a seat too.
gordy

Post by gordy »

bikepacker wrote:The second leg from Crewe on LM does not require a booking. You can travel from Euston to Liverpool by LM either changing at Birmingham or Crewe and no cycle bookings are required for either of the services.

This is correct. You need a bike reservation to travel on Virgin, but LM are very relaxed about bicycles - and there are no seat reservations on LM either. The bike spaces are often full of pushchairs, but from Crewe to Liverpool you can just leave your bike across a doorway. I use LM with a bike once a week and they are brilliant.
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

Redvee wrote:
daddig wrote:Go on East Coast Rail, book your tickets, reserve a seat and book your bike space, follow the instruction and pay. Both legs of your journey require bike booking, East Coast are the only ones I'm aware that allow the booking .

First Great Western now allow cycle reservations when you reserve a seat too.

Yes, any train operator that uses the WebTIS software (rather than the Trainline software) offers bike reservations. That's East Coast, Chiltern, the Govia operators (Southern, Southeastern, London Midland), and the FirstGroup operators.
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides