Lejog with my son

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Mike Rodgers

Lejog with my son

Post by Mike Rodgers »

A big thank you to all those whose advice helped us...

Jamie, my 11 year old son, along with me, Jamie's aged dad, managed to complete our LEJOG in 22 cycling days, covering about 1050 miles. Accomodation mainly camping, so carrying tons of gear. Jamie's attitude to it can be summed up by his complaint that our last overnight stop at Thurso, with 22 miles still to go for JOG, deprived him of the chance to do over 75 miles in one day. Incidentally, the following final day he insisted on detouring to Dunnet Head to bag the most northerly point, and this after insisting that we carry all our gear to JOG rather than offload it into his mum's car " 'cos it won't have been unsupported if we do!"

...I think he may have got the bug!

There's a blog with photos at http://aladandhisdad.blogspot.com/ if anyone wants more details

Mike
Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live. - Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle".
Si

Post by Si »

Well done to you and Jammie - a very impressive ride for someone of that age!

Has he started telling you to "keep up dad" yet? :wink:
Mike Rodgers

Post by Mike Rodgers »

What do you mean, has he started? I was on a Trice with about a ton of gear - I heard it for 3 solid weeks!

(Although I spent my downhills with the brakes on)

Mike
Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live. - Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle".
melw1

Post by melw1 »

Sounds brilliant! Can't wait until my children are a little older and we can do some touring. A great achievement for you both, especially your son!

Melanie
Lusting my Pinnarello

Post by Lusting my Pinnarello »

O my God... and 11 year old does LEJOG??!!!! I AM IMPREsSED :shock:

Well done to both of you.

You both must be so proud of each other!!!!!! 8) :P
Crazydave

Post by Crazydave »

Congratulations on the achievement! When I was 11, I used to not like to do exercise at all, but my dad forced me. To run 3 miles in 25-30 minutes was as much as I could do at that age. That was only with a lot of persuasion. although I admit I did dream of bike tours even at that early age but to cycle almost 50 miles day after day on busy roads (even with supervision) is some achievement.