Singlewheel trailers - experiences and modifications

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
theDaveB

Singlewheel trailers - experiences and modifications

Post by theDaveB »

As I weigh 17 stone I was thinking of getting a trailer instead of putting even more weight on my bike with a tent, sleeping bag etc...

Just wondering if anyone uses one and also have noticed they are now being made in the far east, far cheaper. For instance found a rip off Bob Yak trailer for £60. Are these decent enough ?

For now I will be mostly UK but would eventually like to try Europe.

Dave
Last edited by Graham on 23 Nov 2014, 4:39pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title change for Too Good to Lose
gdlerner

Re: Anyone use a trailer ?

Post by gdlerner »

you are in the UK so why don t you look for a carry freedom y frame trailer ,I have boths the big one and the small one and I love them!!! I also own a extrawheel for expeditions very good too there a lot of trailers and I think this bob clone are not good.
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

I am not sure of the make of trailer you are talking about but I have a T W Bents single wheel trailer that I think is very similar. Is it Red on Ebay?

I found mine great as your replace the rear skewer with the one supplied thus putting the load in exactly the right place.
I did some weight tests and put the results on here (I can not remember where), this was to show the rear wheel loading. There is more than with twin wheel types but it does make the back brake slightly more usable.
The trailer does fold down flat (unlike the Yak) thus the joints can wear, but you can always get them welded when needed.
The bag that it came with was not waterproof in that the seams are basic not sealed in any way (you can glue them if you want).

When towing the only time I noticed any effect in the handling was going around a tight bend down a steep hill. I was deliberately trying to find out bad handling. With a lot of front brake you could feel it trying to push the bike sideways but this stopped with the application of the rear brake.
When walking the bike I found it no harder than a twin wheel one (Dog Trailer £65 on Ebay) and in some respects easier to reverse.
It is a lot easier to get through gateways but not as easy to hitch up as you have to line it up with the bike.

I like mine and do not think I will be going to the expense of purchasing a Carry Freedom.

I may be getting a dog trailer soon so might give that a try (camping gear and no dog). That should give a better comparison
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
theDaveB

Post by theDaveB »

Thanks for the replies.

This is the one I was looking at -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Skiiddii-Single ... IB9YMQ3S6E

Dave
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

That is basically the same as mine.
Check out EBay about £56 with postage inc as with postage that is nearly £70.
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I use a Carry Freedom trailer.
I wouldn't be without it. Worth every penny.

Stable, solid, easy to tow, you hardly notice it behind you, clips on the rear axle.
Mick F. Cornwall
b1ke

Post by b1ke »

+1 for Carry Freedom, although if you're planning on doing single track riding, the single wheelers are probably better.
http://www.farewellburt.wordpress.com - Europe on a Tandem....
http://www.thespokeandwords.wordpress.com - West Africa on a Tandem....
dodger

Post by dodger »

Hi DaveB. I have one of these gathering dust in my garage. Happy to sell at £30 plus postage. Bought it but found I prefer panniers.
Regards
roger
breakwellmz

Post by breakwellmz »

I`ve been thinking about a trailer for local use for a while,to take garden waste sacks and other stuff to the local council`tip`.
I called in to see a mate of mine the other day who had two wheeled golf caddy chassis in his garden :idea:
This morning i`won` a knackered trailer-bike,which would have been ideal for the seatpost hitch attachment.
It had been stolen from outside the house i went to collect it from before i got there! :x
theDaveB

Post by theDaveB »

dodger wrote:Hi DaveB. I have one of these gathering dust in my garage. Happy to sell at £30 plus postage. Bought it but found I prefer panniers.
Regards
roger

If its the same or simular to the one I linked to then yes I will have it.

Will send you a PM.

Dave
matthewjack

Post by matthewjack »

I'm interested in this too.

I'm setting off with a friend on the LeJoG in 3 weeks. I weight 19.5st, and ride a Surly Long Haul Trucker, supposedly a very tough 'bomb-proof' bike. But i'm not sure if when I add all my gear too I won't be pushing it.

It's basically a toss-up between a trailer or 2 front and 2 rear bags.

Any thoughts appreciated on whether the trailer is a good idea.

Thanks.

Matthew
RickH

Post by RickH »

Carry Freedom are a good, if not particularly cheap, option. The "Y"s have already been mentioned, but the City is a good option too & comes ready to roll (once you've unfolded it :wink: ) as it includes a 75l bag. Despite the small (12") wheels it rolls very well. I've also used it for short trips with stuff lashed to the frame (for example, garden waste bag to recycling centre).

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
cjs

Post by cjs »

matthewjack wrote:I'm interested in this too.

I'm setting off with a friend on the LeJoG in 3 weeks. I weight 19.5st, and ride a Surly Long Haul Trucker, supposedly a very tough 'bomb-proof' bike. But i'm not sure if when I add all my gear too I won't be pushing it.....It's basically a toss-up between a trailer or 2 front and 2 rear bags...Any thoughts appreciated on whether the trailer is a good idea. ...Thanks. .. Matthew

@Matthew

I've used both, an Ebay BOB copy and a LHT fully loaded.

My opinion:

The BOB copy was on a mountain bike in Spain but used on the road. The concept was good, the platform fine but the wheels and mounting to the axle skewer was total rubbish. I replaced the axle skewers twice but they did not last nor did the wheel and mudguard - cheap and nasty. Lightly loaded it was okay but with a full load, for me, it will not take it and was a waste of £75.

Compared to the real BOB there is no comparison. Forget a BOB yak copy if you want reliability. I would only consider a BOB if there was off road touring involved, then they are perfect, the real ones that is... The Carry Freedom by all accounts is a solid piece of kit.

I tour on a standard LHT fully loaded for camping in comfort. 4 panniers and a rackpack. Very comfortable and stable for me - and I'm 110kg - all items stock bar the wheels & saddle, I had to replace the original wheels with some from Spa... otherwise it handles the weight fine, including the stock Tektro CR720's..
Kind Regards
Chris...
John Holiday

Post by John Holiday »

Have found the Edinburgh Co-op trailer invaluable for collecting rubbish etc. on my Sustrans Ranger work.
graymee

Post by graymee »

I have an Edinburgh Bike single wheel trailer that I really like. It's a Bob Yak clone but I don't believe they make it any more which is a real pity.

P.S. That kit is not all mine, Mrs Graymee travels light.
I'm not old and cynical, I'm realistic!