Singlewheel trailers - experiences and modifications

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
mercalia

Re: Singlewheel trailers - experiences and modifications

Post by mercalia »

This is your lucky day theDaveB - seems like sjs has the solid axle nuts in stock!!!!! Get them while you can..

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/m-wave-adapters-for-10mm-solid-type-axle-for-single-40-trailer-prod35882/

from

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/trailer-spares-dept851/

and also the nasty skewers......

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/m-wave-qr-skewer-for-single-wheel-trailer-prod23795/

just check with the experts here that solid axles are 10mm thread, must be I think
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

I would like to use my bob trailer with the Dawes Kingpin which has 3 speed SA. Nothing looks right in the pics. Anybody done this?
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

ambodach wrote:I would like to use my bob trailer with the Dawes Kingpin which has 3 speed SA. Nothing looks right in the pics. Anybody done this?

what pics?
sabrutat

Post by sabrutat »

Sabrutat, how are your mods going- break any skewers?

Modifications working perfectly. Only thing of slight concern is the skewer nuts are rusty where I ground flat surfaces on the barrel to take a spanner. Not really an issue, but I'd prefer no rust, obviously.

I think I'm going to buy one of these black ones because it is a better fit for my bag, and obviously my premade spare parts, inner tubes and tyre will fit, too. Plus it's black, which matches the rest of my rig and lends me a dynamic bad boy quality that's certain to impress the ladies.

Cheers

Stef
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

The pics I refer to are the ones in the adverts for bob nutz. Nothing looks like it would work with a hub gear like the SA .
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

Both website and instruction sheet clearly state that there is a version of the bobnutz designed to work with hub gears, but it doesn't appear to be illustrated.
However it is shown here: http://www.andrew-robertson.co.uk/web/o ... bnutz.html
HTH!
Trying to retain enough fitness to grow old disgracefully... That hasn't changed!
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

I've just acquired a second hand Bob Yak. It doesn't appear to be in bad shape, overall, but I'm not too happy with thefit of the forks and frame.
The lower nylon bush isn't inserted all the way up to the shoulder, there's a gap of about 1mm. Despite this the metal tube that runs between them is protruding slightly from the lower bush, so that there is a metal to metal contact. The bush might almost as well not be there. This protruding tube has already made a wear mark in the frame lug.
I feel that I ought to address this. I could trim the tube to a flush fit, but then tightening the pivot pin nus would tend to deform the frame attachment points as they were squeezed together. So what I am now planning to do is to enlarge the hole in a repair washer until it fits over the end of the tube. Once done, the pressure of the pivot bolt nuts should be borne by the nylon bushes - as, presumably, originally intended.

Worth doing? or am I being a bit precious?
Trying to retain enough fitness to grow old disgracefully... That hasn't changed!
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Do u suspect it has been abused by carrying too much weight so things have worn some what.For the high cost the genuine article costs I would want carrtridge bearings at all the pivot point rather than sleeves - does the bobyak have such or is it no better tha the yakalike. By the way there was what seemed to be a nice bobyak that went on Ebay for I think about £150 recently. I m not sure I would want one - the main virtue of the yakalike is that they can be dismantled and stored flat could be useful for on trains. Will be interesting to hear your comments/experiences comparing some thing that costs less than £100 ( free or less than £60 in my case) with some thing 3+ times the price? Cant be many people who have both so a rare opportunity to listen to what u have to say.
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

I'm pretty confident that it isn't wear. There is a little scoring on the flat face but the thickness of the shouldered section is comparable to that of the upper bush. I think its poor assembly standards - at the factory - the purchaser isn't required to assemble the pivot bearing per se. I have read elsewhere that although they are robust enough the overall standard of finish is not what you might expect for the price.
I considered the cheaper options, but I don't really have the time just now to fettle bits and then test them out. And I do find suggestions that the metallurgical properties might not be all they could be rather off putting...
The flat storage was attractive, but I couldn't see how a folding frame would properly support the hinge joint. I get the impression that there could be a lot of stress on the lower mounting plate. Time will tell :D
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

ah I think I was confusing u with theDaveB who has the yakalike , sorry, I was wondering why get both :lol: too many DaveX's here, just as well u are not theDaveP
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

Seem to get mixed up in the PM system so in case I got it wrong thanks DaveP the info you sent is what I was looking for.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Here is a cheap yakalike trailer I came across on Ebay

with 2 wheels!!!!. Otherwise it looks like our yakalikes

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cargo-Bike-Trailer-two-wheels-plus-bag-TW-BENTS-/221762146795?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item33a20dd1eb

rare opportunity ?
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

mercalia wrote:rare opportunity ?

...Indeed. You don't get many opportunities to experience the joys of kit like this.
Fortunately :D
I wonder what would break first?
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

well Sabrutat has the yakalike single wheel one and has been on tour with it for a few uneventful months with modified skewers, so is good evidence they can be solid performers. ask him or read his blog
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

Ah - you didn't see the problem then! :D
This trailer is connected to the rear drop outs in a manner that precludes any rotation about a front to back axis. What's going to happen when the towing bike leans into a corner? Or tries to.... Or one wheel goes over a bump...
I have a Carry Freedom as well. The linkage pivots to allow for steering, flexes to allow for vertical movement and flexes to allow independent leaning. I've never researched it but I fully expect that most other successful two wheel trailers make similar provision, one way or another.
Can't help thinking that "very good condition, few marks on the bag" might translate as only used once and never again!