Singlewheel trailers - experiences and modifications

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
mercalia

Re: Singlewheel trailers - experiences and modifications

Post by mercalia »

A good point about leaning over for the 2 wheeler - the single wheel yakalike works as it can lean over with the bike, but the 2 wheeler? would put a strain atleast on the cycle frame as the trailer resists.It needs some kind of universal joint there? I suppose the trailer would turn your bike into a tricycle? is that a good or bad idea, how easy is it to turn corners on a tricycle? One to avoid maybe, no doubt thats why dont see many more of that type imported ( or made?)
sabrutat

Post by sabrutat »

Had this new trailer for a couple of days now (got it on ebay for 85 quid), and have to say it is far better made than our yakkalikes. The QR skewer, which I admittedly haven't used yet (I'm staying with the current modified yakkalike set up because I know it works), looks like a far more solid piece of kit: the cam seems to work fine, there's no crappy joints etc. I'll certainly keep it as a spare.

The main difference, apart from obviously the longer cargo bed (65cm ish as opposed to 48cm IIRC) and much superior bag (which I'm not using anyway) is the trailer arm pin is very slightly longer on the Qeridoo, so the replacements I've made for the yakkalike will fit, but only just: the ends of the threaded bar are a hair less than flush with the tops of the nuts. Literally a mill or two less and I'd have to make new ones: not a big deal, but nice nonetheless. This is always the thing that breaks on the yakkalikes: I've broken two in 3,000 miles, but thankfully had a spare the second time.

http://www.qeridoo.de/index.php/en/products/cargo-trailer/qeridoo-qx-english
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

sabrutat wrote:Had this new trailer for a couple of days now (got it on ebay for 85 quid), and have to say it is far better made than our yakkalikes. The QR skewer, which I admittedly haven't used yet (I'm staying with the current modified yakkalike set up because I know it works), looks like a far more solid piece of kit: the cam seems to work fine, there's no crappy joints etc. I'll certainly keep it as a spare.

The main difference, apart from obviously the longer cargo bed (65cm ish as opposed to 48cm IIRC) and much superior bag (which I'm not using anyway) is the trailer arm pin is very slightly longer on the Qeridoo, so the replacements I've made for the yakkalike will fit, but only just: the ends of the threaded bar are a hair less than flush with the tops of the nuts. Literally a mill or two less and I'd have to make new ones: not a big deal, but nice nonetheless. This is always the thing that breaks on the yakkalikes: I've broken two in 3,000 miles, but thankfully had a spare the second time.

http://www.qeridoo.de/index.php/en/products/cargo-trailer/qeridoo-qx-english

it looks like the yakalike from the pictures? wouldnt be able to tell from them that is not the same presumably a variation on the same model but better made then? There are variations - mine in fact has a basic 2 spring suspension at the back; so must have been a bit of a jump in the dark when u got it? it could have been another yakalike-basic? so yours is yakalike-superior? :lol:

Any chance of picture of the skewer? The reason why i dumped my skewer was the rod was only screwed into the lever end by just 2 or maybe 3 threads and held there by braze - and thats how it must be for all that type as other wise it fouled the action. in my case it just came out :lol: :roll:
sabrutat

Post by sabrutat »

It's very similar, but not the same. Other differences: general build quality is just more sturdy and better fit together, plastic washers are used to protect the paintwork, the bed tapers towards the back, becoming slightly narrower; not sure if this is a functional addition or just aesthetic. The paint job is much better, obviously several coats, and the braised joints are smoother, cleaner and more even. It's altogether a better trailer, albeit the same design. I'm very happy with it indeed.
sabrutat

Post by sabrutat »

I'll try to remember to take some pics tomorrow so you can have a closer look.
theDaveB

Post by theDaveB »

I contacted queridoo about the bag and skewer/adapter nuts. The bag they said would be 25 euros but the skewer/adapter nuts got lost in translation and I give up asking.

But in the meantime I might be starting a new thread titled Twinwheel trailers - experiences and modifications ;-)

We sold our car last month and use our bikes exclusively, but am finding my trailer not so good for nipping the shops etc... and my wife is a mobile hairdresser so needed something for her gear. Ended up getting a 2 wheel cargo trailer from Amazon for her (£60).

So far I really like it, it connects to the seat post via a ball type joint, bit like a caravan connects. So the bike can lean without putting a strain on anything. Also very easy to connect and disconnect on your own but best of all the trailer is also a hand cart with a fold out stand at the front. It comes with a plastic box and cover to drop into the frame but you could use your own bag.

At the earliest opportunity (ie when my wife is out) am going to load it up with all my camping gear and see how it copes.

Dave
sabrutat

Post by sabrutat »

Here's a pic of the business ends of both skewers. The yakalike is the top one.

I think you can see the difference in quality of the machining immediately.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

hmm not sure I agree - yes the handle looks better but its how the rod is inside the body - they dont look that much different, they both look like they are just screwed in ( by as few as 2-3 threads) and then brazed? Hard to tell with the new one .
sabrutat

Post by sabrutat »

I'll take a better angle pic of the skewer joint into the cam, but I still think this pic speaks oodles. It's a very superior product.
sabrutat

Post by sabrutat »

Here you can better see the joint you're worried about. Which we're all worried about, to be honest. Like I said, I'm sticking with my yakalike replacement skewer set up, with two threaded ends, because I know it works. But: it is rusting, and I'm tempted to replace our set up with this, though, for the convenience of quick release and I can clean up the current system, stop it rusting, and keep it as a backup instead.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

yes it does look better like a single casting. is that a split ring holding the handle in , rather than the crude squashed end of the original. I personally would keep the good QR skewer as a spare unless u can get replacements, probably rarer than the bad ones. I wonder whether the ones that SJS has are those ones?

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/m-wave-qr-skewer-for-single-wheel-trailer-prod23795/

they also have the non QR end bolts there - I wondered whether it would be possible to get a converter from QR axle diameter to M10? that is used for solid axles then use the screw on nuts?

That would solve your rusting problem as the nuts are plated already?

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/m-wave-adapters-for-10mm-solid-type-axle-for-single-40-trailer-prod35882/

its worth looking at thier trailer spares section as lots of interesting stuff

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/page/find/?name=trailer&page=1#filterkey=cat&cat=851&page=all
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

here a discussion on QR skewers and if it is possible to adapter the solid axle nuts for 10mm axles to 5 mm QR rods

http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=96644
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Recently bought one of these and it arrived today. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121275837473? ... EBIDX%3AIT
Seems like a standard Yakalike. Trailer dimensions are wrong on ebay though, the load bed is actually 63cm long not 30.
The bag may not have been fully waterproof as didn't have taped seams so taped them with 1" gorilla tape. As with others here didn't like the look of the QR so replaced cam lever and rod with Sachs items. Apart from that all seems fine - construction is fairly sturdy and it came with fittings for a solid rear axle as well though unfortunately not in the right size for the tandem I may use it on sometimes. 3/8" bsc helicoils should solve that problem though.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

pete75 wrote:Recently bought one of these and it arrived today. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121275837473? ... EBIDX%3AIT
Seems like a standard Yakalike. Trailer dimensions are wrong on ebay though, the load bed is actually 63cm long not 30.
The bag may not have been fully waterproof as didn't have taped seams so taped them with 1" gorilla tape. As with others here didn't like the look of the QR so replaced cam lever and rod with Sachs items. Apart from that all seems fine - construction is fairly sturdy and it came with fittings for a solid rear axle as well though unfortunately not in the right size for the tandem I may use it on sometimes. 3/8" bsc helicoils should solve that problem though.

wow £30 incl postage!! That is as cheap as I have ever seen them? I think they must be shipped as some kind of ballast? Can you say more about the Sachs items? pictures? Replacing the rubbish cycle wheel QR is the most important aspect of these things and any alternatives would be useful reference here. This is certainly a very popular thrread? 100,000+ reads
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Just looked at it again and it was an old Simplex not Sachs QR I used. Just removed the cam lever supplied along with the rod and replaced them with the same from one of the old QR mechs I had in the garage which just happened to be Simplex, thought it was the Sachs I'd picked up. Don't suppose teh dimensions change much on any of the Camapag copy type QR levers. The closest would probably be Shimano as that is most likely what the trailer manufacturer has made an inferior copy of. I've a steel Shimano QR spare somewhere so will try that one as well - unused so nice and shiny too...
The bag on the extremely low priced trailer seems very well made, untaped seams apart, for example where the straps and handles are sewn on there is reinforcing internally and externally. The plastic material seems as thick and sturdy as the stuff on quality plastic panniers. As on a genuine Yak the wheel is shod with a Chinese tyre...

Simplex QR lever and rod

DSCF0832.JPG
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker