Singlewheel trailers - experiences and modifications

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
mercalia

Re: Singlewheel trailers - experiences and modifications

Post by mercalia »

pete75 wrote:Just looked at it again and it was an old Simplex not Sachs QR I used. Just removed the cam lever supplied along with the rod and replaced them with the same from one of the old QR mechs I had in the garage which just happened to be Simplex, thought it was the Sachs I'd picked up. Don't suppose teh dimensions change much on any of the Camapag copy type QR levers. The closest would probably be Shimano as that is most likely what the trailer manufacturer has made an inferior copy of. I've a steel Shimano QR spare somewhere so will try that one as well - unused so nice and shiny too...

The bit that interests me is the bolt on the end of the lever. I had toyed with use the rod from another QR skewer but the ones I have use a circlip spring ring on the end, which would mean drilling out the body of the nasty QR.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

mercalia wrote:
The bit that interests me is the bolt on the end of the lever. I had toyed with use the rod from another QR skewer but the ones I have use a circlip spring ring on the end, which would mean drilling out the body of the nasty QR.

They all used to be like that at one time. I'm sure someone on here will have one they don't want any more or perhaps you could use these viewtopic.php?f=32&t=98012
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
sabrutat

Post by sabrutat »

Well, a few weeks ago the trailer arm pivot pin broke on my new, more expensive Qeridoo trailer, though it did last about 2,000 miles longer than each of the two that broke on the cheaper trailers. Luckily, I still had the spares I made for the early trailers, which are luckily exactly the same dimension, and was up and off again within 20 minutes.

The hitch skewer, as predicted, is far superior to the cheaper ones, too.

And I just saw the Qeridoo trailer going for 71 quid on Amazon. Just a heads up!

Cheers

Stef
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

sabrutat wrote:Well, a few weeks ago the trailer arm pivot pin broke on my new, more expensive Qeridoo trailer, though it did last about 2,000 miles longer than each of the two that broke on the cheaper trailers. Luckily, I still had the spares I made for the early trailers, which are luckily exactly the same dimension, and was up and off again within 20 minutes.

The hitch skewer, as predicted, is far superior to the cheaper ones, too.

And I just saw the Qeridoo trailer going for 71 quid on Amazon. Just a heads up!

Cheers

Stef

But you reckon it's the best? Never used a trailer but intend to soon - I've cycled for transportation without using public transport for the past three years (six years although I cheated for the first three and occasionally used the bus), so it's kinda crucial for me...
sabrutat

Post by sabrutat »

If you're just using it on the road you should be fine. I often end up on single tracks, canal paths and farm roads, so the trailer takes a bit of a battering. My first pivot pin broke when the fully loaded rig fell over, for example. The second going over a six inch log. The third when I had to push up some steps. Neither of my manufactured replacements have broken yet.
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

sabrutat wrote:If you're just using it on the road you should be fine. I often end up on single tracks, canal paths and farm roads, so the trailer takes a bit of a battering. My first pivot pin broke when the fully loaded rig fell over, for example. The second going over a six inch log. The third when I had to push up some steps. Neither of my manufactured replacements have broken yet.

Thanks. I wouldn't likely be taking it off road very often, if at all, although if I used it to tour I would. I really just need a 'load lugger' two wheeled trailer like the Carry Freedom or maybe even one of the cheaper ones on Amazon or ebay, but I prefer the idea of a singlewheel trailer, especially if I was touring.

Not what any of us could ever aspire to, but this is the stuff of dreams - a singlewheel trailer based on the Jack Taylor design built by Chapman Cycles from Providence, Rhode Island, to go with their tandem...

Posh, eh?! :D

http://www.cycleexif.com/chapman-cycles-tandem
sabrutat

Post by sabrutat »

It's certainly pretty! And looks sturdy.