Singlewheel trailers - experiences and modifications

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
mercalia

Re: Anyone use a trailer ?

Post by mercalia »

re
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Waterproof-Foldable-Bicycle-Bike-Cycle-Transport-One-wheel-Cargo-Trailer-w-Bag-/281306921386?hash=item417f32f9aa&pt=UK_SportGoods_CyclAcces_RL&quantity=1&autorefresh=true

what about a bit of fun? i see they are open to offers? maybe make a silly one of eg £0.99 to fill the sellers inbox with lots of offers that need to be answered? lol
theDaveB

Post by theDaveB »

mercalia wrote:Seems like Rosebikes stock suitable skewers for these cheap bob yak trailers -

http://www.rosebikes.com/article/rose-q ... aid:341175

it looks like it may be an improvement over the original one - certainly looks different

I have contacted Rosebikes about their skewer and they tell me the one in the picture is the one they are selling

My skewer arrived today from Rosebikes and it's different from the one in the image and it does not fit the trailer. The gap for the trailer to go into is a couple of mm to small.

Dave
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

theDaveB wrote:
mercalia wrote:Seems like Rosebikes stock suitable skewers for these cheap bob yak trailers -

http://www.rosebikes.com/article/rose-q ... aid:341175

it looks like it may be an improvement over the original one - certainly looks different

I have contacted Rosebikes about their skewer and they tell me the one in the picture is the one they are selling

My skewer arrived today from Rosebikes and it's different from the one in the image and it does not fit the trailer. The gap for the trailer to go into is a couple of mm to small.

Dave

thats a bummer. Can you post a picture? In the end I made my own from hi tensile rod and 2 of the screw on ends one of which I filed down to take a spanner. Would it be possible for you to file down the ends a bit so the trailer hooks can seat?
theDaveB

Post by theDaveB »

Here is the skewer sitting along side my original skewer.

The only way I can think of using it would be to remove the safety screw springy thing and the clip and squeeze the ends of the trailer together. Then I would need another way of securing it to the skewer.
Attachments
IMG_0390.jpg
IMG_0389.jpg
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

do u know any one who can grind a bit off the skewers? both ends look like that is possible on the sides nearest the wheels to give u a larger area to attach the trailer hooks? Or you can sent them back to Rose free of charge? The one with the lever has a small collar that could be ground down? The non lever side would need a slice of the hand grip removed?
theDaveB

Post by theDaveB »

Don't know anyone that can grind them off but if I was searching on the internet or asking people, what am I actually looking for ?

Am I just asking "I need a bicycle nut grinding down" ?

Edit: forgot aswell I spoke to rose bikes and they said that is the only one they supply. So all they can offer is a refund.

Dave
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

maybe some one here can? open a new post in the Does Any One Know section?

dont know where you live but SJS seem to have the thing listed but is out of stock, maybe put in stock request-

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/m-wave-qr-skewer-for-single-wheel-trailer-prod23795/

UK Ebay were selling them - I got one but they were like the rubbish originals, I only wanted it for the screw end so I could make my own.

You have found the achilles heal with these trailers. spare skewers
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

theDaveB wrote:Don't know anyone that can grind them off but if I was searching on the internet or asking people, what am I actually looking for ?

Am I just asking "I need a bicycle nut grinding down" ?

Machining & engineering firms? A business that does small custom parts or tool sharpening should be able to do it.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

He realy needs a very cheap solution. If he went to such a place they would charge him more than the skewer is worth. I was hoping some kind soul here could do it for him, for free + postage. I would think its only a few minutes work with the right tools
theDaveB

Post by theDaveB »

I have asked in a few places locally but no luck yet, posted in the "Does anyone know section" as well.

Going to go B&Q tomorrow and get some nuts etc... for my M5 bar and then I at least have a spare(s), having a quick measure and it looks like I might get 4 skewers from that bar.

Anyway loaded my trailer up today with everything I would need for a camping trip and my god is it heavy, no wonder the skewers break!

EDIT: Forgot as well, noticed this page -

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/browse/ ... ler-spares

Wonder what spares would fit our trailers ?

Dave
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

from the edinburgh cycles page

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/products/adventure-qr-skewer-ct1

I think the adventure trailer was the same as the cheapos u see on Ebay and elsewhere. But then I got it wrong about Rosebikes so not so sure.

You might ask them to measure the distance between the knob at end and the main body, the amount of space needed for the trailer hooks, & explain why u need to to know this? send them your pictures of the wrong one yu bought elsewhere. or tell them the distance on the good one you have?

SO you have made your own skewer from M5 bars? But you still need 2 proper ends? One you can use from the skewer you have but where the other one come from? I had to buy another proper skewer to get the 2nd one that I then filed down the sides of one to take a spanner.
theDaveB

Post by theDaveB »

mercalia wrote:from the edinburgh cycles page

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/products/adventure-qr-skewer-ct1

I think the adventure trailer was the same as the cheapos u see on Ebay and elsewhere. But then I got it wrong about Rosebikes so not so sure.

You might ask them to measure the distance between the knob at end and the main body, the amount of space needed for the trailer hooks, & explain why u need to to know this? send them your pictures of the wrong one yu bought elsewhere. or tell them the distance on the good one you have?

SO you have made your own skewer from M5 bars? But you still need 2 proper ends? One you can use from the skewer you have but where the other one come from? I had to buy another proper skewer to get the 2nd one that I then filed down the sides of one to take a spanner.

I have asked them twice now using different syntax and both times they have measured the wrong thing.

I haven't made the skewer yet, just back from b&q with some nuts, washers etc... I wasn't thinking of using the nuts from the trailer skewer, why can't I make the m5 bar longer and put some tubing over the ends. Then lock it all into place with nuts and washers. Be a bit more hassle getting the back wheel off in the event of a puncture I suppose.

Will upload photos when I have cut it all down to size and show you what I mean.

Dave
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

theDaveB wrote:
I have asked them twice now using different syntax and both times they have measured the wrong thing.

I haven't made the skewer yet, just back from b&q with some nuts, washers etc... I wasn't thinking of using the nuts from the trailer skewer, why can't I make the m5 bar longer and put some tubing over the ends. Then lock it all into place with nuts and washers. Be a bit more hassle getting the back wheel off in the event of a puncture I suppose.

Will upload photos when I have cut it all down to size and show you what I mean.

Dave

will this picture help? I added arrow and red lines to indicate part to be measures?

skewer dimension.png

well this thread is showing some real cleverness how to make your own skewers. You need some really large nuts but with small M5 thread? Yes some tubing in between good idea
theDaveB

Post by theDaveB »

Cheers, will send them that picture.

Edit: They got back to me and said its 8mm so not useable for us.

Dave
sabrutat

Post by sabrutat »

This is what happens when the trailer arm pin snaps at the bottom. Just happened to me the other day, and exactly the same thing that happened to my first trailer in Scotland last year.

And this is the prepared replacement: M5 threaded rod cut to appropriate length, two nuts and washers.

Actually 'feels' a lot tighter and more sturdy.