Singlewheel trailers - experiences and modifications

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
AdyJapp

Re: Anyone use a trailer ?

Post by AdyJapp »

It's been a while since I posted here, so though I'd give a very belated update on the performance of my 'cheapo but upgraded Bob Yakkalike' trailer.

My main trip this year using the trailer was to be a few days away at the Tour De France (Yorkshire), and I was to carry camping gear, food and quote a bit of camera gear to shoot with whilst away - hence the trailer for weight.

I managed to aquire a Dawes Ultra Galaxy, and modified it for my use, installing a Brooks saddle and the Bob Yak skewer that I modified (see earlier in this thread).

How did it perform? Well, never having ridden with a trailer before, it was an:
interesting (always learning)
difficult (heavy up hills)
challenging (braking was fun)
slow (hell it can take some time hauling that stuff)
enjoyable and rewarding experience!

1. The trailer was overall ace. After adding a better wheel, (bolted axle) and good tyre, it ran well too. The modified skewer worked an absolute treat, and I also put a nylock nut on the bottom of the pin just to make sure on rough Yorkshire road surfaces.
2. It was a bit noisy, but you get used to it.
3. It obviously alters handling dramatically.
4. You climb slowly, and even more slowly, and really test your lowest gears.
5. Your braking has to be gradual and considered(!)
6. It does keep the weight down low, but lightens steering a lot.
7. You don't go down hills very fast, otherwise you get an uneasy feeling that the loaded trailer wants to overtake you!

I've got to say after 10 hours on the bike and 90 miles, I was knackered, but that is an unusual day to have over the Pennines hauling the combined weight (less my 11.5 stone) of 54kg(!)

Overall, it is a great setup though, and if touring lighter (without camera gear etc), would be more of a joy as well, as I will probably find out next year. I'm still refining the touring setup with this trailer in mind, but I'm getting to a point where I know how I'd like it, and I hope to be able to make some further mods to the bike and gearing to make this a top setup.

Here is a pic of the bike, comprising trailer, Topeak MTX DXP TrunkBag/pannier combo, topeak bar bag. Plenty of load carrying capacity!!
Returning home from the TDF with a true beast of burden
Returning home from the TDF with a true beast of burden

Ideas for mods:

Rohloff Speedhub on Mavic A719 rims to replace all current gearing (obviously). I found that the gear setup, whilst okay unloaded, wasn't ideal, and I would prefer some better ratios at the very least, and like the Rohloff idea of a nice even spread of gearing. Climbing was the worst, with me switching gears all the time to maintain a comfortable cadence, and never seeming to find the 'optimum' ratio! Of course this could be solved by just a new cassette setup.
3T Ergonova handlebars
Longer rear mudguard - to stop trailer being the best mudcatcher known to man.

Everything else just works!
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Good to know your mods work well.

AdyJapp " 10 hours on the bike and 90 miles"

I was wondering where you had got to as one of the people with these things who had done some mods

wow.90 miles all in one go? with a trailer? surely not? The very thought is a nightmare.

Unlike you I didnt have any trouble going fast downhill with my copy, but then I didnt have much choice as the hill in question caught me unawares. I was a bit scared , but was too late. I prefer to push the bike uphill with my trailer, I am not a masochist. but even that is hard work. My bike not a 700c wheel but a Dawes 1-Down 26" with 46-36-26 chain rings. So your effort the more surprising. I take my hat off to you.

I think you have given us the product name for these tailers - "Yakkalike" ?

I didnt get to use my Yakkalike for camping this summer but found it very usefull moving stuff to my home from a rented garage and to a local dump incl 7x5l old engine oil to be recycled ( that was a load lol )
AdyJapp

Post by AdyJapp »

mercalia wrote:Good to know your mods work well.

AdyJapp " 10 hours on the bike and 90 miles"
I was wondering where you had got to as one of the people with these things who had done some mods
wow.90 miles all in one go? with a trailer? surely not? The very thought is a nightmare.

Given that it was a challenge that I set myself, I was quite pleased with the journey overall. Yes, I pushed myself, and yes, under other circumstances I may have made a shorter day journey. Definitely good with a trailer though, and comparing to being fully loaded with panniers, I 'think' that I prefer this option.
mercalia wrote:Unlike you I didnt have any trouble going fast downhill with my copy, but then I didnt have much choice as the hill in question caught me unawares.

I think the main issue is that of the steering obviously being very, very light with everything hanging off the back, and the shear momentum of the weight shoving you downhill, made me keep dabbing the brakes on anything too steep!!
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

AdyJapp wrote:
mercalia wrote:Unlike you I didnt have any trouble going fast downhill with my copy, but then I didnt have much choice as the hill in question caught me unawares.

I think the main issue is that of the steering obviously being very, very light with everything hanging off the back, and the shear momentum of the weight shoving you downhill, made me keep dabbing the brakes on anything too steep!!

maybe its differnt with a 26" wheel small frame bike like the Dawes 1-Down as I cant say I felt any thing unusual. But then I am also heavy. By the way I have added this thread as a suggestion under "the too good to lose" section as it contains lots of ideas and experiences of these yakalikes and is easier to find then
sabrutat

Re: Singlewheel trailers - experiences and modifications

Post by sabrutat »

Just came across this one on ebay:

http://www.qeridoo.de/index.php/en/products/cargo-trailer/qeridoo-qx-english

Seemingly made in Germany, uses the same fittings as the cheap trailers we've been using (so our replacement parts should also fit: mind, for some reason in their photographs they have the trailer arms fitted upside down, which is possibly worrying). They have a longer cargo area, too, which will actually better fit my existing waterproof bag.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Where does it say made in Germany? Is just a price hiked version of our cheapos I think. There are a few variants - mine in fact has a crude suspension consisting of 2 large springs at the back. A company trying to make a killing - and quite literally given they have assemble it wrongly Yes they have the arms upside down :lol: Has the same deathtrap skewer.

"Quality from Qeridoo

Qeridoo bike trailers are built from high quality materials and have undergone all sorts of tests before they are released for sale."

yeh right u cant even put it together right

I would dearly like to know what they sell for to retailers? how much of a profit hike typical sellers make. Probably very high. I got mine for free when the skewer broke after 2 uses and the shop couldnt be bothered ( not worgh their while ) to arrange collection, just gave me a refund.
theDaveB

Post by theDaveB »

The nuts on the skewer look ok as they can take a spanner, also like the bag. I have sent a message asking if skewers and bags can be purchased separately.

Dave
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

If u look at the manual u will see its the same old rubbish skewer they are all sold with page 5 -

I wont be buying any more of them, keep to my old hand made ones.

Sabrutat, how are your mods going- break any skewers?

http://www.qeridoo.de/download/qx-manual-eng.pdf

If you have a wheel that normally takes nuts rather than a skewer there are end nuts for that situation, but those solid axles not the same size as skewer axles so cant use the end nuts; any way most skewer axles are too short? My trailer came with both types
theDaveB

Post by theDaveB »

Yeah see what you mean about the skewer, it was the nuts underneath that image that I meant looked good. Thought they came on the skewer but doesn't look like they do.

Dave
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

theDaveB wrote:Yeah see what you mean about the skewer, it was the nuts underneath that image that I meant looked good. Thought they came on the skewer but doesn't look like they do.

Dave

no they are for solid axle wheels only - I was at one time thinking of having such a wheel built so I could use them as that soln seems better. But then I made my own skewers - but I had to get another of the nasy ones first so I had 2 screw ends :|
theDaveB

Post by theDaveB »

mercalia wrote:no they are for solid axle wheels only

Interesting my folder has solid axle wheels, be great to get some so I could use my trailer on it as well.

Dave
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

theDaveB wrote:
mercalia wrote:no they are for solid axle wheels only

Interesting my folder has solid axle wheels, be great to get some so I could use my trailer on it as well.

Dave

so your trailer didnt come with both options? Mine came with both.
theDaveB

Post by theDaveB »

mercalia wrote:so your trailer didnt come with both options? Mine came with both.

No mine came with a single skewer, no separate nuts.

Dave
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

theDaveB

Post by theDaveB »

mercalia wrote:theDaveB maybe contact them to see if they will sell u the solid axle part?

Cheers, sent them a message.

Dave