Alfine 11 - a question

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
DaleFTW

Alfine 11 - a question

Post by DaleFTW »

What chainring/sprocket is everyone running (especially on touring bikes)?

I've got 40/20 on mine. I feel like I need to go lower, but not sure if I should just MTFU?
rfryer

Re: Alfine 11 - a question

Post by rfryer »

My Genesis Day One came with 40/18. That's OK for general road riding, but gets a bit grindy up steep hills. I'd want it a fair bit lower for loaded touring. I certainly don't spend much time in the top 2 or 3 gears at the moment.

I believe that Shimano do 18 and 20 tooth sprockets for Alfine with chain guards, but you can also use Nexus sprockets that are sized anywhere from 18 to 23 teeth. I'd think that 23 would be a good touring option.

At the risk of spreading Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt, it's probably worth pointing out that Shimano recommend a gearing ratio of 1.9, which would mean a 21 tooth sprocket with your chainring. Some people would worry that using a larger sprocket would put too much strain on the hub; personally I'd not be concerned.
DaleFTW

Re: Alfine 11 - a question

Post by DaleFTW »

Yeah, that's what bike I have. (At the minute, it's being sent back to Genesis on a warranty trip, again)

Thinking I'll change the front chainring to a 38 and see how I get on.