26 x 2 touring tyre.

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
3spd

26 x 2 touring tyre.

Post by 3spd »

I have an old Dawes One Down frame which I'm building up for a tour to France.
I have at present Schwabe Marathons 1.5" but on a previous tour my mate was on some cheap no name 2" slicks and it was more comfortable.
So I am looking to go bigger, with guards I can fit up to about 2.1" tyres.
I'm considering Kenda Small block 8's I often use towpaths/bridleways, anyone using them or got any other suggestions?
Anyone using Maxxis Overdrive Elite?
Last edited by 3spd on 31 Jul 2013, 11:20am, edited 4 times in total.
My worse day on my bike is better than my best day at work!
Dudley Manlove

Re: 26 x 2 touring tyre.

Post by Dudley Manlove »

At risk of seeming like a really lazy way of answering the question, it's worth having a look around the tour section of the Schwalbe website. Pretty much everything is available in 26 x2, depending how aggressive a tyre you want:

http://www.schwalbe.co.uk/tour/

Sounds like you want a fat semi-slick like the Marathon Deluxe. At the cheaper end of things there's always Schwalbe City Jets at 12 quid a tyre or whatever.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

3spd

Post by 3spd »

Been through the Schwabe site but there "must be more to tyres than Schwalbe".
Last edited by 3spd on 29 Jul 2013, 3:23pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dudley Manlove

Post by Dudley Manlove »

3spd wrote:Been through the Schwab site but there "must be more to tyres than Schwalbe".

I know, I sound like I'm on commision! I just default to their touring tyres as they all have decent puncture resistance, I understand the range, and there's generally something suited to what you want. I have used most of them and they're all okay although I don't claim to be any expert on tyres. The couple of things that might put me off the Kendas are too soft a compound which might wear down quick and lack of puncture protection.
3spd

Post by 3spd »

I've had 2 x 700c Marathons fail, so although I'm not totally put off them.....
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

i found halo twin rails excellent
Si

Post by Si »

Another vote for big apples from me - took marathons off and and put these on, no perceptible loss of speed but noticeably better comfort and better road holding.
3spd

Post by 3spd »

Si, I believe your on a One Down (from a 26" tyre search, I'm not stalking you) have you the 2.0 or 2.35 Apples?
Si

Post by Si »

Erm, not sure, but I think they might be 2.15....and I'm afraid that they are not on the onedown anyway...so not a lot of help!!!

I do know though that I can fit marathon winters and mudguards on the onedown so plenty of room there.

In fact, I think that I bought my big apples from wiggle, I carefully fitted them to the pashley and noticed that they were too big, thus I carefully took them off and sent them back and wiggle gave me no trouble about exchanging for the next size down.
Erudin

Post by Erudin »

Been happy with old stock Schwalbe Big Apple 26 x 2.0 HS338 tyres on my 26" Surly LHT.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Schwalbe-Big-Apple-26-x-2-0-2-New-Tyres-Bargain-Price-/130942640062?
3spd

Post by 3spd »

Starting to warm to the Apples but on the Singletrack Forum they say comfy but heavy.
Any comments?
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

I am currently touring on the new ev4 tour de manche in brittany with my family. The route is great, but includes quite a few sandy stretches. On those my son has the edge with his 60 mm big apples. On tarmac i find those too lumpy, however. I ride the new refined compass 26 x 1.75 and that is clearly the speed winner, but a challenge on loose surfaces. My wife has the 50 mm big apple, and i think that is the perfect compromise. The new big apples come in a lighter version as well.
Willem
Gearoidmuar

Post by Gearoidmuar »

I recently got the 26 x 2 lighter big Apple and did an off-road tour in Britain (trans-Pennine way) and I'm a big fan.
3spd

Post by 3spd »

I've just put an old DMR MOTO 2.2 on the front fits fine but it's heavy , 900g.
I will try it on the rear tomorrow there's a 2.0 Land Cruiser on there at the mo again about 900g.
How do you know if they're the lighter ones?