Don't change at Manningtree for Harwich!

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
vernon

Re: Don't change at Manningtree for Harwich!

Post by vernon »

I used Manningtree to change trains with a Dutch Flyer ticket. I had a reserved place on the Liverpool Street to Manningtree train and was aware of the five minute change over time between trains. On arrival at Manningtree I looked for the correct platoform for the Harwich train. Its driver and guard were standing outside the train on a platform across the tracks. They shouted over and asked me where I was going and when I told them Harwich they directed me to the stairs and told me that they's wait until I got onto the train. They seemed pretty relaxed about a punctual departure.

It was a pleasant surprise as I'd factored in the probability of me missing the connection and having to wait for the next train. I needn't have worried.
Squeezebox

Post by Squeezebox »

Well, having now been to Manningtree I feel able to offer some further thoughts.
manningtree1.JPG
manningtree1.JPG (19 KiB) Viewed 1242 times

The stairs are a tad difficult when loaded
manningtree2.JPG
manningtree2.JPG (19.79 KiB) Viewed 1242 times
However, having read so much about this place I waited for a later train and had a snoop about. If you are a lady then no problem if you want to powder your nose before crossing the line
manningtree3.JPG
manningtree3.JPG (15.12 KiB) Viewed 1242 times

One could admire the display of flowers too...
manningtree4.JPG
manningtree4.JPG (25.5 KiB) Viewed 1242 times
but maybe we need to support the station buffet a bit more instead of jumping over the line ASAP for the train to Harwich
manningtree7.JPG
manningtree7.JPG (15.42 KiB) Viewed 1242 times
Squeezebox

Post by Squeezebox »

...or....if you wish you can get your dirty linen cleaned
manningtree5.JPG
manningtree5.JPG (13.78 KiB) Viewed 1242 times

Also have a chat to the locals, I found this guy quite charming to engage in conversation
manningtree6.JPG
manningtree6.JPG (31.21 KiB) Viewed 1242 times

So yes, I crossed the line at Manningtree and survived! However, it was good to be forewarned and its a fair few steps to lug bikes. Another cyclist did go down to the end of the platform an nip over the line.....but boy did he get a telling of from the station master! I certainly wasn't going to do that without permission, so I took my time, had a cuppa as a reward and waited for the next train.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I forgot about the cafe there! It's actually quite nice. I've gone there a couple of times just for the cafe.

:D
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

Great stuff! I do like it when there are independent cafes at stations.
Good to see your other post and what a great time you had.
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
Domestique

Post by Domestique »

Its quite a nice ride from Manningtree to Harwich, and back, if you have had enough of trains 8)
andy14

Post by andy14 »

Some novel solutions:

1/ Take the panniers off the bike (really!)
2/ Take an earlier train out of London. There are a number of trains every hour so this isn't too hard to arrange
3/ Cycle from Manningtree to Harwich. It's a really nice ride. Lots of swans along the estuary. Granted you may still have to negotiate the stairs but see option 1/ above. In order to be in good time for the ferry, avail of option 2/ :D
Squeezebox

Post by Squeezebox »

See also....

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=80372

It might not even be possible to get to Manningtree soon !!!
megilleland

Post by megilleland »

Squeezebox wrote:See also....

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=80372

It might not even be possible to get to Manningtree soon !!!

Next it will be "travellers won't be able to take a suitcase onto the train". Sounds as if they are pursuing a Ryanair strategy.
Pipsmydog

Post by Pipsmydog »

Hello new to this discussion board. Has anyone cycled from Manningtree to Harwich? Wondering what the route is like on a Sunday eve? Thanks.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Except for the A120, I wouldn't be worried about any of the possible routes between Manningtree and Harwich. I would probably use the old Harwich Road (B1352), as the best compromise between speed and low traffic volume.

The quietest route is likely to be
Mistley
Mistley Heath
Bradfield Heath
Cansey Lane (there is offset junction on the bypass)
Colchester Road (short section)
Honeypot Lane
Tendring / Colchester Road to follow NCN 51

That route might take half again longer, but it might be pleasant enough to make up fo the extra time, if you aren't worried about a deadline.

https://umap.openstreetmap.fr/fr/map/su ... 024/1.1255

Clacton Road can be bit busy, though on Sunday evening, most of the traffic should be going the other way. That is
probably the quickest way to NCN 51.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
mjr

Post by mjr »

Head south to NCN51 at I think Little Bentley. The B road is surprisingly lumpy although some of the coastal views are nice. Also have a quick look on roadworks.org because EssexCC have no hesitation in diverting cyclists onto the horrible busy dual carriageway and it can be a long detour to avoid their diversions.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
monxton

Post by monxton »

I think you're reading too much into the cautions about the direct London to Harwich service. Whatever the official limit, in practice this is a like a suburban London train, with two pairs of wide double doors per carriage and a massive open area behind them, which you could get multitudes of bicycles in. OK there may be few direct trains, but they are timed for sensible connections with the ferries. Take the 19:32 which cruises through Manningtree and its hellish staircases and arrives 20:54, in good time for you to cycle round to the vehicle check-in to start boarding at 21:15.

Like this:
greater-anglia-train-at-harwich-international-statin-800x532[1].jpg
greater-anglia-train-at-harwich-international-statin-800x532[1].jpg (155.87 KiB) Viewed 907 times

(borrowed from https://blog.rail.cc/from-london-to-ams ... utchflyer/)
monxton

Post by monxton »

Pipsmydog wrote:Has anyone cycled from Manningtree to Harwich? Wondering what the route is like on a Sunday eve? Thanks.

Notwithstanding my previous post, recommending the direct trains, I have done this (in reverse). We had arrived on the old Esbjerg to Harwich ferry, which was not timed to work with the direct trains to Liverpool Street. Having just watched the local train pull out minutes before we reached the station, we decided to cycle to Manningtree rather than wait an hour for the next one. We took this route: http://cycle.travel/map/journey/23217 (reversed, and slightly fictionalised, because we didn't get it quite right at Harwich), and it was a nice ride. IIRC it was mid-day, and the traffic was low.

Arriving at Manningtree, there was no need to take the subway because the Norwich to London train arrives at the nearest platform. The bike space was hanging from hooks in a special guard's area behind the loco, with no access when the train is moving. They let us on with no reservation, but we were lucky the spaces were not booked, because there is no overflow capacity.
mjr

Post by mjr »

monxton wrote:I think you're reading too much into the cautions about the direct London to Harwich service. Whatever the official limit, in practice this is a like a suburban London train, with two pairs of wide double doors per carriage and a massive open area behind them, which you could get multitudes of bicycles in.

The trouble is, you're relying on the staff of the Dutch-owned train operator to behave reasonably and there's always the fear that you can get a jobsworth like we suffered on the Ipswich-Peterborough leg of the northern route to Harwich who insists on herding bikes (including folding ones IIRC) into the one end of one carriage allocated to them. OK, more than the official limit of two or four bikes (I forget which), but claiming it's unsafe to use the unused halves of the vestibules, while the Anglo-French other East Anglian operator only allows bikes in similar vestibules!

Relying on reasonable staff ignoring the official policy is not fun.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.