Touring drinks

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
matt2matt2002

Touring drinks

Postby matt2matt2002 » 12 Aug 2013, 9:36pm

Any thoughts on home made "energy" drinks for a long tour?
Sugar and salt combination perhaps?
I will,be out on the road more than hostels and hotels.
Going through Turkey, East. Hot weather. Long days.

Any thoughts in staying healthy drink wise?
Thanks folks
2018 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
On a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.

eileithyia

Re: Touring drinks

Postby eileithyia » 12 Aug 2013, 10:23pm

Bottled water.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells

Mr. Viking

Postby Mr. Viking » 13 Aug 2013, 5:36am

if you buy a box of glucose in a supermarket/general grocer it will usually have a rehydration solution printed on it. Water should be plenty though, so long as you are eating and aren't going hell for leather all day

Erudin

Postby Erudin » 13 Aug 2013, 6:22am

I find Electrolyte powder/tablets useful on long hot days. I get Eletrolyte powder from myprotein.com, a pouch lasts for years, I just put 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon in a bottle.

http://www.myprotein.com/sports-nutrition/electrolyte-powder/10529892.html

Gearoidmuar

Postby Gearoidmuar » 13 Aug 2013, 7:53am

If you're worried about the screaming Asiatic trots and can't get bottled water, you can boil it if you have a stove. Boiling kills everything noxious except of course chemicals.

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 13 Aug 2013, 8:18am

Bottled water for a start.

What I've done on a hot tour, is to mix my own electrolyte.
A dash of fruit juice - I like Lemon+Barley - and a pinch of salt then top the bottle up with plain water. The salt makes it taste a bit strange but you get used to it. Advantage is that it's cheap and easy.

Plain water doesn't hydrate you properly. All it does is sit in your stomach and it takes too long to be absorbed. By using an electrolyte, osmosis takes charge and the water gets into your system very quickly.
Mick F. Cornwall

Mr. Viking

Postby Mr. Viking » 13 Aug 2013, 8:43am

Mick F wrote:Plain water doesn't hydrate you properly. All it does is sit in your stomach and it takes too long to be absorbed. By using an electrolyte, osmosis takes charge and the water gets into your system very quickly.

I'm sorry, but this is a myth.
Water is mostly absorbed in your large intestine, not your stomach. Also, having the electrolyte in the water would in fact slow down the osmosis, as water flows more freely from low concentration to high concentration of solution.

The point of the electrolyte is simply to replace those lost through sweat, which we all know is salty. It is not normally an issue, but under high physical exertion and high heat you may lose too much of these salts through sweat. in extreme cases, drinking water alone will cause them to be watered down, reducing the conductivity of nerves and leading to dizziness and nausea. Normally the electrolytes are replaced easily by food intake, but in extreme cases where a lot of water is drunk they can become depleted. The use of sports drinks is a safeguard against this scenario. It is not strictly necessary, but it gives peace of mind.

matt2matt2002

Postby matt2matt2002 » 13 Aug 2013, 8:57am

Thanks folks. Great to read your opinions. Much appreciated.
2018 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
On a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 13 Aug 2013, 9:09am

Mr. Viking wrote:I'm sorry, but this is a myth.
Water is mostly absorbed in your large intestine, not your stomach. Also, having the electrolyte in the water would in fact slow down the osmosis, as water flows more freely from low concentration to high concentration of solution.
Sorry, I aid stomach - I should have said "system".

Funny how you say this is a myth!
I did what I did with the L+B and salt because I read on these very pages that it works and WHY it works.
We had a thread on the subject, but it was way back - 2006? before this present forum, and maybe before the forum before that. We're on our third re-incarnation of the CTC Forum now.

All I can say is that water gets into your system more quickly if there's solids and minerals in your stomach. Water doesn't get into your system very well on an empty stomach as it cannot pass through the walls of your "system" quickly enough to re-hydrate you faster than you are de-hydrating.

No doubt you will have to disagree with other people, but it worked for me and worked for the people who gave me advice and info on here.
Mick F. Cornwall

geocycle

Postby geocycle » 13 Aug 2013, 9:16am

Bottled water, coke/fanta/sweet mint tea at stops, beer in the evening -it's pasteurised!

Audax67

Postby Audax67 » 13 Aug 2013, 10:11am

Bananas. OK, not drinks but admirable source of electrolytes. Ditto dates. Naturally, you'll have Imodium along.
Have we got time for another cuppa?

hufty

Postby hufty » 13 Aug 2013, 4:49pm

Beroccas to break the monotony of drinking plain water all the time and who knows they might actually do some good.
Please do not use this post in Cycle magazine

Richard Barrett

Postby Richard Barrett » 13 Aug 2013, 6:07pm

It has become a tradition on our tours to have an Irish Coffee every afternoon. It started one afternoon when it was pouring down, but has stayed with us even on warmer days.

vernon

Postby vernon » 14 Aug 2013, 9:15am

matt2matt2002 wrote:Any thoughts on home made "energy" drinks for a long tour?
Sugar and salt combination perhaps?
I will,be out on the road more than hostels and hotels.
Going through Turkey, East. Hot weather. Long days.

Any thoughts in staying healthy drink wise?
Thanks folks

Good luck!

I'm just back from the Czech Republic and Germany and was hit with a mini heat wave with temperatures just reaching 40 degrees. The hottest day saw me get through twelve litres of fluids - 75% of them being water. Salt intake was achieved through food and energy derived from meals and sweet snacks. I urinated 5% of my fluid intake which probably meant that I was dehydrated.

Dudley Manlove

Postby Dudley Manlove » 14 Aug 2013, 1:05pm

vernon wrote:Good luck!

I'm just back from the Czech Republic and Germany and was hit with a mini heat wave with temperatures just reaching 40 degrees. The hottest day saw me get through twelve litres of fluids - 75% of them being water. Salt intake was achieved through food and energy derived from meals and sweet snacks. I urinated 5% of my fluid intake which probably meant that I was dehydrated.

I was in the same area a couple of years ago when they had a similar heatwave..well high 30s, maybe 3 degrees or show shy of what you're talking about. Jesus a cold beer tastes good in that part of the world after a bit on the bike. Everystop I must've had a couple of pints, then drank a couple of water bottles in between. I guess what I'm getting at is it doesn't matter too much what you drink as long as you're drinking. The salt can come from normal food, or throw in a bag of crisps or whatever.