Stands on touring bikes (and pumps)

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
GeoffL

Post by GeoffL »

Neil F wrote:When the ground had a slope the bike would fall over.

FWIW, I've got a partial answer to that one - a "handbrake". I use a velcro strap to hold the rear brake on, which stops the bike running away and lets me point the bike up (or down) the slope so that the bike leans at the optimum angle. It can sometimes be a bit fiddly to find best direction to point the bike, but this trick does work most times. That said, I haven't tried this with more than 12kg on the rack because I'll use the trailer for more than that.

Geoff
nobby

Post by nobby »

GeoffL wrote:[That said, I haven't tried this with more than 12kg on the rack because I'll use the trailer for more than that.

Geoff

What trailer do you use?
robbo

Post by robbo »

nobby wrote:Something I've wondered about: why have the derailleur on the right when you get off the bike on the left? It is natural to lean it against the gear side at risk of damaging it.

It is better to get off a bike on the left, then you have less chance of rubbing your leg or trousers against the oily chain. Just as leaning the bicycle with the chain towards the wall means you (and passers-by) have less chance of rubbing against the chain.
nobby

Post by nobby »

robbo wrote:
nobby wrote:Something I've wondered about: why have the derailleur on the right when you get off the bike on the left? It is natural to lean it against the gear side at risk of damaging it.

It is better to get off a bike on the left, then you have less chance of rubbing your leg or trousers against the oily chain. Just as leaning the bicycle with the chain towards the wall means you (and passers-by) have less chance of rubbing against the chain.

That makes sense.
GeoffL

Post by GeoffL »

nobby wrote:
GeoffL wrote:[That said, I haven't tried this with more than 12kg on the rack because I'll use the trailer for more than that.

Geoff

What trailer do you use?

Nondescript cheapie from eBay. It's meant as a dog trailer, but it has a rigid base and so can double as a cargo trailer.

Geoff